Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.....

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.....

Post by moonshadow »

Gheeze, it seems like it's done nothing but RAIN this month.... The cats are getting very moody. Aquarius just stares out the window and sulks. To see the sun would be nice, but I'll just accept a dry overcast day at this point.

The entire yard is downright spongy. Everything is spongy. No matter where you walk you slip and slide. Our driveway is nothing but muddy ruts at this point. All over the region peoples yards have turned into lakes and/or creeks. We've had several mud slides, one had one lane of I81 in Smyth County shut down last week. A rather large land slide on TN highway 70 in Hawkins County has already claimed I believe one life. <-- Definitely look at that one. Mud slides are a real concern now, many of our roads are literally cut into the side of mountains, whereas on one side you are looking straight up, and on the other side you're looking straight down. You never really know when the weight of your passing vehicle will be the straw that broke the proverbial camels back.

Since two vehicles were involved in the above incident, though I'm uncertain, I would speculate that both motorist had the unfortunate luck of meeting on another on that particular stretch of road that was about to give way. I suppose the weight of both vehicles was more than the road could bear.

According to the national weather service website the Tri-Cities airport has recorded 8.21 inches of rain so far this month alone, the "normal" value is set to 2.74 inches.

I ran a service call in Bluefield VA last week, which took me through Tazewell County where they are already struggling with saturated soils combined with a late night ice glaze that set up on trees and power lines. The following day the wind was gusting while raining (almost like a tropical system). I saw evidence of countless trees that had fallen over the road (highway U.S. 19) sawdust was everywhere as crews worked through the night clearing the mess. Several utility poles were laying over and utility trucks were everywhere mending the damage.

The rain is suppose to ease off tomorrow, but then the wind is supposed to pick up, so I expect more down trees and possible power outages.

Daily inspections of my septic sand heap seem to indicate no major concerns. There is a little ponding on the back side during the downpours, but it percolates pretty quickly. (seeing as how it's only a few inches of soil over about three feet of sand). I observe no erosion other than minor spots that I have mended to the best of my ability that were mostly caused by wild life (deer) trampling all over it. I have made attempts to discourage this with fencing and other obstacles to keep the deer off the mound.

It is situated on a small grade that was designed to percolate effluent downhill. It's literally impossible for effluent to pond to the surface at the current age. That is one ironic advantage over a conventional "trench" system. Additionally, the entire heap isn't spongy, even after downpours. It's the one place in the yard that's actually pretty solid right now.

No, the biggest concern at this point is a major erosion event, or perhaps a tree falling on it. Such a circumstance would mean certain bankruptcy as we basically "bet the farm" on that project and sunk pretty much everything we had into it. A tree situation might be covered by insurance, I'm not sure about erosion. However erosion seems pretty unlikely at this point. I think (I hope) I managed to get enough grass started on it last fall to hold it together.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.....

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Gheeze, it seems like it's done nothing but RAIN this month.... The cats are getting very moody. Aquarius just stares out the window and sulks. To see the sun would be nice, but I'll just accept a dry overcast day at this point. [...]

Since two vehicles were involved in the above incident, though I'm uncertain, I would speculate that both motorist had the unfortunate luck of meeting on another on that particular stretch of road that was about to give way. I suppose the weight of both vehicles was more than the road could bear.
Yikes! The photograph of (what's left of) the road proper gives some clues, and coupled with the text gives me the impression that the SUV was "on-scene" first in the "outer" lane (from the hillside) and the thing let go. The truck then fell into the resulting hole after not being able to stop in time. The wreckage of both was survivable if seat-belts were in use, especially the SUV (proves as the driver got out). The pickup looks like it got the worst of it, and given the state of the rear end it's possible that the driver may have gotten his neck broken by the rearwards acceleration as the back-end crashed into something. In any event, it's sad all the way 'round.

Interestingly, there's nothing that indicates that anything substantial from the hill above the road had much to do with it because all the pavement is pretty clean.
According to the national weather service website the Tri-Cities airport has recorded 8.21 inches of rain so far this month alone, the "normal" value is set to 2.74 inches.
Yep, you're wet. That much above average is going to challenge everything in the environment there.

At least it sounds like your property is holding up pretty well.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Maybe you would wish for snow - well don't - 1 inch of rain is equal to about a foot of snow - Your 8 inches of rain would be 8 feet of snow up
to the eves of a house and something else not permitted to post here.

If this keeps up were going to have to find Noah and built another Ark with skies on it to cover all the global warming bases !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

At the height of The Flood the last surviving Kerryman was sitting on top of Ireland's highest mountain, which was only a small pimple in the vast flooded sea, when Noah came by in his ark with all his retinue & animals aboard.
The Kerryman pleaded with him to take him off the peak and rescue him, but Noah was having none of it and continued on without altering his course, presumably for Mount Ararat
So the Kerryman shouted after him ' 'You can keep your sodding ark, it's only a shower anyway!'

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

r.m.anderson wrote:If this keeps up were going to have to find Noah and built another Ark with skies on it to cover all the global warming bases !
Gl**al w***ming? Cl**ate ch**ge?

We dare not even speak of such things in Appalachia... that's a good way to get shot buddy...!

It doesn't matter if it's scientifically sound anymore, it's nothing but politics at this point, so I don't even bring it up.

We prefer to stick our heads in the sand... thankfully I've got more sand in my backyard than most hillbillies do. The fact that it's saturated with sh!t simply sweetens the deal! :mrgreen:

God I need to see the sun... I'm getting cranky as hell...! :twisted:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jenn and I took a little ride around the countryside today to assess some of the flooding, thankfully no roads fell out from under us on this day....
flood010.JPG
flood012.JPG
flood013.JPG
Yes... there are a lot of trailers here... especially in flood plains....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Moon, I feel with you.
It looks like the Dutch weather. So they should just copy the Dutch. The Dutch built dikes to keep the land dry and they built windmills to get the water outside the dikes. For centuries the Dutch have dry feet. They even reclaimed about 25% of the land now. The last century however saw a switch from wind to steam, Diesel and gas power.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tom, Stanley Holloway had this sung in a Lancashire accent:

Three Ha'Pence a Foot

I'll tell thee an old-fashioned story
That grandfather used to relate,
Of a joiner and building contractor
Who's name it were Sam Oglethwaite.

In a shop on the banks of the Irwell
There Sam used to follow his trade,
In a place you'll have heard of called Bury
You know, where black pudd'ns is made.

One day Sam were filling a knot hole
With putty when in through the door,
Came an old man fair reeked i'whiskers
An th'old man said, "Good morning, I'm Noah."

Sam asked Noah what were his business
And t'old chap went on to remark,
That not liking the look of the weather
He was thinking of building an ark.

He'd got all the wood for the bulwarks
And all t'other shipbuilding junk,
Now he wanted some nice birds-eye maple
To panel the sides of his bunk.

Now maple were Sam's monopoly
That means it were all his to cut,
And nobody else hadn't got none
So he asked Noah three ha'pence a foot.

"A ha'penny too much," replied Noah
"A penny a foots more the mark,
A penny a foot and when rain comes
I'll give thee a ride in my ark."

But neither would budge in the bargain
The whole thing were kind of a jam,
So Sam put his tongue out at Noah
And Noah made long bacon at Sam.

In wrath and ill-feeling they parted
Not knowing when they'd meet again,
And Sam 'ad forgot'n all about it
'Til one day it started to rain.

It rained and it rained for a fortnight
It flooded the whole countryside,
It rained and it still kept on raining
'Til th'Irwell were fifty miles wide.

The houses were soon under water
And folks to the roof had to climb,
They said t'was the rottenest summer
As Bury had had for some time.

The rain showed no sign of abating
And water rose hour by hour,
'Til th'only dry land were at Blackpool
and that were on top of the tower.

So Sam started swimming for Blackpool
It took him best part of a week,
His clothes were wet through when he got there
And his boots were beginning to leak.

He stood to his watch-chain in water
On tower-top just before dark,
When who should come sailing towards him
But old Noah steering his ark.

They stared at each other in silence
'Til ark were alongside all but,
Then Noah said, "What price yon maple?"
Sam answered, "Three ha'pence a foot."

Noah said, "Nay I'll make thee an offer
Same as I did t'other day,
A penny a foot and a free ride
Now come on lad what do thee say?"

"Three ha'pence a foot," came the answer
So Noah his sail had to hoist,
And sail off again in a dudgeon
While Sam stood determined but moist.

So Noah cruised around flying his pigeons
'Til fortieth day of the wet,
And on his way home passing Blackpool
He saw old Sam standing there yet.

His chin just stuck out of the water
A comical figure he cut,
Noah said, "Now whats the price of yon maple?"
And Sam answered, "three ha'pence a foot."

Said Noah, "You'd best take my offer
It's the last time I'll be hereabouts,
And if water comes half an inch higher
I'll happen get maple for nowt."

"Three ha'pence a foot it'll cost you.
And as for me," Sam says, "don't fret,
'Sky's took a turn since this morning
I think it'll brighten up yet."

Actually over here it's been quite dry.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Sinned wrote:Tom, Stanley Holloway had this sung in a Lancashire accent:

Three Ha'Pence a Foot...
It was actually written by Marriott Edgar but Stanley Holloway built up his own reputation by performing it (as he did with many of Marriott Edgar's monologues).
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

moonshadow wrote:I have made attempts to discourage this with fencing and other obstacles to keep the deer off the mound.
What type of fencing would you say is more effective against those antlers, foil or epee? I was thinking saber, but I don't know that I have the upper body strength.
Ralph!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ralph wrote:
moonshadow wrote:I have made attempts to discourage this with fencing and other obstacles to keep the deer off the mound.
What type of fencing would you say is more effective against those antlers, foil or epee? I was thinking saber, but I don't know that I have the upper body strength.
A 50 foot roll of garden fence laid down over the slope of the mound, held down by three old twin bed spring frames.

The garden fence has a tight enough mesh to discourage the deer from walking on it (it would likely be uncomfortable), and even if they do step on it the mesh will spread out the load of the foot so it doesn't poke a hole in the dirt.

However the mesh is open enough to allow for vegetation to grow.

The fence will be removed once a compact settlement occurs and the grass is finally thick and lush over the heap.

Not combat fencing silly goose. :lol:
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Not combat fencing silly goose. :lol:
If it was combat-fencing we'd be talking about concertina-wire. {duck-and-cover}
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thank you Dennis for that wonderful Noah poem. I do do funny songs at parties, but cannot manage a half-acceptable Yorkshire accent. Stanley Holloway was a master.
Two Paddies turned up at the Moscow Olympics in 1980 carrying a roll of wire & cutters &c and announced that they were the Irish fencing team. :roll:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Walls are real sensitive issues these days - fences are OK.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

r.m.anderson wrote:Walls are real sensitive issues these days - fences are OK.
We have occasional issues of neighbors cutting through our yard. A fence is planned.... I'm just trying to figure out how to make the neighbors pay for it.... :lol: :twisted:
-Andrea