Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.....

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rain rain rain rain rain rain rain.....

Post by john62 »

Well 13C is cold for a greyhound, we were told by the breeders anything under 15C and the dog should have a coat on.

John
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

john62 wrote:Well 13C is cold for a greyhound, we were told by the breeders anything under 15C and the dog should have a coat on.

John
Perhaps these hunting and racing dogs warm up after they have had a good run.......some of the local learchers really shake early in in the morning
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Unfortunately here in Victoria it is illegal to have a greyhound off a lead anywhere, however every greyhound owner knows of areas where the dogs can be let off safely. Our one will run for about five minutes at full speed then has had enough and back on the lead. And she does not mind if I wear a skirt while walking.

John
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

One of my opposite neighbours runs a boarding kennels and breeds & races greyhounds. He has equipped himself with a special roofed-in trailer for transporting his racing dogs to the Curragh, a wide expanse of open grassland where he exercises them. There you will also see our premier racecourse, where they run the Irish Derby.

I just walk my dogs out on to the local bog or moorland, which is only yards away.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Sinned wrote:It just shows how perceptions are. 13C cold???? Over here 13C is very nearly T-shirt weather. Not quite, maybe T-shirt and a jumper.
Here too. Just a T-shirt is good enough for a quick trot to the corner store, at 13C, and also for people out for some exercise.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

dillon wrote:Fence energizers pulse at up to 9000 volts but only 0.5 ampere. It gets your attention but won’t kill you.
9000 volts and .5 ampere is 4500 watts, way way more than enough to kill. I suspect that half ampere is on the input side of the device, which is likely only at 12 volts, and the 9000 volt output couldn't supply anything like a half ampere. Still, I wouldn't advise grabbing that wire with one hand then touching the ground with the other hand, if you don't want to risk stalling your heart.
Daryl...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Interesting to note that perhaps a greyhound possibly only has enough stamina for possibly one race......
The more heavily built working dogs may have more stamina.........

I threw a ball for a Collie for twenty minutes and eventually tired the dog out......
Perhaps there is an art in training a dog to run around for a long period of time .....Like the gun dog or cattle driving
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Daryl wrote:
dillon wrote:Fence energizers pulse at up to 9000 volts but only 0.5 ampere. It gets your attention but won’t kill you.
9000 volts and .5 ampere is 4500 watts, way way more than enough to kill. I suspect that half ampere is on the input side of the device, which is likely only at 12 volts, and the 9000 volt output couldn't supply anything like a half ampere. Still, I wouldn't advise grabbing that wire with one hand then touching the ground with the other hand, if you don't want to risk stalling your heart.
Normally they operate for just a few milliseconds which limits muscle contraction, except for lethal ones used in war situations.
If you have a pacemaker, you are advised not to spent much time near an electric fence - let alone touching one.

Getting electric fences back to the thread title; I was talking to a farmer fixing a gate and he got a shock off a non electric fence; a thunder storm was looming and lightning struck the fence on the other side of the hill.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

You are correct, Daryl. I misstated the amperage. During a pulse, it is usually only 120 to 240 milliamperes, so I may have been thinking .05 amps, which is still too high. Not sure from where I misrecollected that figure. Energizers used to be either AC or DC, but today often have multiple input capability, such as 12V deep cycle battery with PV maintenance, or 110V 60 cycle or 220V 50 cycle AC. The typical pulse is once per second, sometimes more frequently. I have read 9600V on the test meter in the lead to the field, though in-field we would regard 6000V as a good hot fence. You don’t need to be much higher because you begin to risk induction. Less than 3000, however, will not keep stock in. 9600 in the lead is not a good sign, because it usually means you have low voltage around the field, and you have to walk some fence line. It has to be hot, because when a goat learns he can stand the shocks long enough to worm through high tensile wire, you’ll never be able to keep him in. Counterintuitively, more hot wires are easier to manage because it reduces total resistance. We sometimes use a dead wire or two to ground within the fence to enhance the shock if the fence section has historically lower voltage. Energizer operating voltage is normally rated under either 100 or 500 ohms resistance.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

We are in a period of rain, sun, rain sun .... The weather is coming from the west so Tom gets it first which means that the grass in his little island should be absolutely luscious and verdant.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Wrong, Dennis.

It's too blxxdy cold . Daytime temps in single figures C don't favour much grass growth. Like the Kerryman who predicted showers but No Rain, we've had lots of the former but no actual downpours.
I pity the kids strutting their little dancing outfits at Cheltenham and very shortly we will have our own steeplechase festival, Punchestown. It's always perishing cold for that.
I'm off down to Kerry for the Patrick's w/end, far away from parades and such like. MOH's orders. I wouldn't be welcome without a bootful of Caucasian Shepherd dog and a back seat full of DIY tools. MOH gets down early, makes the place habitable and I must finish work, go home and feed the rest of the Menagerie,,,donkeys, cats, residual dogs, poultry, then head off not before 7PM to let the majority of the Bank Holiday traffic dissipate. I'll get there by 11PM or so for a nightcap before retiring.

The evening/night trip down is well worth it when one wakes up to (pic)

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

If that photo is any exemplar, I cannot fathom how your other half can have any objection to your sartorial sense at all.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!