RIP Michel Legrand

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

RIP Michel Legrand

Post by Gusto10 »

Today is the funeral of Michel Legrand. Nominated 12 times for Oscars, known for amongst other "The windmills of your mind".
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: RIP Michel Legrand

Post by Kirbstone »

Sad of course, but he lived to a grand old age.

Everything he wrote is wonderful to listen to. A delight to play, also. Our choir quite recently performed an SATB arrangement of 'Windmills of your mind' Delightful.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I had forgotten many of those scores and was reminded of a lot of great music that came with films of that era. Yes, there were fine film score composers before John Williams, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, and Gustavo Santaolalla.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
aussie08

Post by aussie08 »

What a wonderful composer.
{After seeing the DVD of "La La Land" and its Extras}, I tracked down a DVD of "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg" (1964) and the "extras" {includes an interview] but the songs: "Watch What Happens" and "I Will Wait For You" live on , and then I tracked down and bought "Michael Legrand The Piano Collection" (Sheet Music Album). His style of writing is inspired. Even wrote the music for "Yenti" (1983), and as you have mentioned "The Windmills Of Your Mind" from "The Thomas Crown Affair" (1968); remember "China Doll" and "Jazz Time" from "Marguerite" (2008); "Secret Places" from "Secret Places" (1984); "The Hands of Time" from "Brian's Song" (1971); "How Do You Keep The Music Playing" from "Best Friends" (1982); "Sweet Gingerbread Man"; Plus many many more memorable pieces.
The world is at a loss
Rest In Peace