Musings on the Political Discussion in "Wearing a Dress ...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Musings on the Political Discussion in "Wearing a Dress

Post by weeladdie18 »

JennC03 wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:Cr has no respect for the flag or the national anthem his referral to them as "THE THING " demonstrates that. And yes I do see the irony in it. I just can not accept his comment that it is HILARIOUS. The same type of irony exists for the Fireman who chooses to be cremated would it be proper for me to call that hilarious.

Oldsalt you need a breather. Let it go take the high road. Why you gotta keep rehatching things? You’re going to give yourself a heart attack getting worked up. You expect everyone to agree with you all the time and when they don’t you throw a tantrum.
Thank you Jenn . I am considering a point in your quoted post..." the Fireman who chooses to be cremated....."....................................................
......We have now moved from a political discussion to an intended discussion regarding a Fireman's religious beliefs.

A fire team are not immortal....they work to risk assessments.....A fireman has his rights to his personal disposal of his body , after his family and friends
have paid their respects , during the Religious Ceremony of his Festival of Life...............................

Please note I am referring to a Religious Ceremony observed by what may be called " Four Wheel Christians ".........
Surely this is a religious issue and not a political issue ?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

WL, I'm not sure that your average cremation can be considered a religious rite any more. I have attended recently cremations where there was no religious element to the service. I don't think that Jenn was meaning to imply any religious flavour to the cremation only that a fireman, being involved with putting fires out may wish for the opposite to be done to his body. I think you were reading too much into what she said and nothing was intimated about the fireman's religious beliefs.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

pelmut wrote:
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:...How do you Brits regard royalty?
Some staunchly support it, others think it should be abolished and some couldn't care less.  My own personal feeling is that it is a good insurance policy: if we ever got an extremist government who tried to create a dictatorship, the royal family would form a good rallying point for opposition.  Meanwhile it continues to attract a greater revenue through tourism than it costs to support.
That logic is almost exactly mine. The monarchy is a human backup system, a backstop to (and bulwark for) democracy in ways mere codifications cannot be.

Oddly, the more Americans elect folks like Bush and Trump, the less I hear Canadians questioning the value of the monarchy, even in Quebec.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:First off, it was interesting that getting as worked up about one's nation's flag as we US citizens do is a uniquely US phenomenon.
But before you mock us Yanks (Moon you too are included under that nickname) consider: How much importance do the French put on cooking and wine? How do you Brits regard royalty? And let's not get started on how Germans feel about order ... Let's face it, each nationality has their unique form of irrationality. It makes the world go 'round.
All unique forms of irrationality are not equivalent. Ones that affect how a nation views itself with respect to the world are more consequential. It always amazes me as an outsider that a people need to repeat "we are number one", and fetishise their own symbols so much. It also amazes me that this seems in tandem with a deep insecurity. I've never heard anyone else worry so much about threats to their country's very existence, with less reason to do so. This seems by design, hailing from a time when the threat of European powers undoing the revolution was more real. I've read where it was actually only about 25% of America that was behind independence, but that 25% cared deeply whilst most others were kind of on the fence. Creating a founding mythology of a thing SO precious and SO in need of defence, was a strategically sound move at that time. American exceptionalism served a purpose then, but now it seems quaint and odd, and sometimes dangerous to both the world and America's own interests. Being ready willing and able to serve in military adventures like Viet Nam and Iraq, is, I think, a sign that the America fetish has some serious downsides. I would go so far as to say that it makes for both an undue sense of insecurity as well as an undue sense of invulnerability. I often think it must be very stressful to be American.
Daryl...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:WL, I'm not sure that your average cremation can be considered a religious rite any more. I have attended recently cremations where there was no religious element to the service. I don't think that Jenn was meaning to imply any religious flavour to the cremation only that a fireman, being involved with putting fires out may wish for the opposite to be done to his body. I think you were reading too much into what she said and nothing was intimated about the fireman's religious beliefs.
Everyone in my immediate family wishes to be cremated. The reason is not religious, but is simply financial. Cremation is simply less costly. No casket, no plot, no headstone, no expensive funeral.

Only I seem to have a "religious" reason, and that is that I believe my remains should return to mother Earth by fire. I have also instructed Jenn to keep mine as cheap as possible. A coffee can will do.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's amazing that MOH and I wish for our funerals to be cheap and cheerful but ....

.... funerals are more about the living and their need for closure than for the dearly departed. So, although MOH says to not bother too much and use a cardboard box, will I partly put her wishes to one side and have a traditional funeral for her? I don't know. I'm not even sure if she wants to be buried or cremated. There is a church on the outskirts of York where her parents and immediate family and ancestors are buried and she may wish to be interred there. It's something we still have to discuss. Me? If MOH is buried then I would wish to be buried with her. If not, then I don't really care and may just leave my body for the trainee doctors to use in teaching. Not sure how my children would react to this. Maybe I should ask them at some opportune time. It's not exactly a subject that you can tactfully raise. "Hey, son/daughter [0] would you be upset if I left my body for the trainee medics?" Hmmmm. I suppose that I won't be around and wouldn't be able to do anything anyway. What am I going to do, come back and haunt them? I'm too laid-back for that. I suppose that anything that gives the few people who care closure and cater to their needs is fine by me.

[0] Delete as applicable.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I tried to take Jenn's advice and ease off and relax . But as long as people keep making insensitive remarks I find it impossible .

So Daryl let me get this straight my patriotism and respect for my national symbols is nothing more than a "quaint and odd fetish"
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Only I seem to have a "religious" reason, and that is that I believe my remains should return to mother Earth by fire. I have also instructed Jenn to keep mine as cheap as possible. A coffee can will do.
With fire most of your remains become air pollution. A "green burial", no casket, no preservatives added, returns your elements to the earth much better.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote:
moonshadow wrote: Only I seem to have a "religious" reason, and that is that I believe my remains should return to mother Earth by fire. I have also instructed Jenn to keep mine as cheap as possible. A coffee can will do.
With fire most of your remains become air pollution. A "green burial", no casket, no preservatives added, returns your elements to the earth much better.
True, and that wouldn't bother me either, but I always thought that was illegal.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Daryl wrote: Ones that affect how a nation views itself with respect to the world are more consequential. It always amazes me as an outsider that a people need to repeat "we are number one", and fetishise their own symbols so much.
I think every national culture does this to an extent. It may not involve a flag, but I think most people take at least some level of pride in their homeland. Generally in my experience, most people believe they are number one. True humility is in short supply the world over.

As for me, I think there are things America could learn from other countries. As for what we're "number one" on, is a matter of statistics on one hand, and sentiment on the other.

The U.S. has plenty of things to be proud of and ashamed of. But in all fairness, lots of nations fall in the same category. We've made some mistakes, but such is the cost of experimentation.
Daryl wrote:It also amazes me that this seems in tandem with a deep insecurity. I've never heard anyone else worry so much about threats to their country's very existence, with less reason to do so. This seems by design, hailing from a time when the threat of European powers undoing the revolution was more real. I've read where it was actually only about 25% of America that was behind independence, but that 25% cared deeply whilst most others were kind of on the fence. Creating a founding mythology of a thing SO precious and SO in need of defence, was a strategically sound move at that time. American exceptionalism served a purpose then, but now it seems quaint and odd, and sometimes dangerous to both the world and America's own interests. Being ready willing and able to serve in military adventures like Viet Nam and Iraq, is, I think, a sign that the America fetish has some serious downsides. I would go so far as to say that it makes for both an undue sense of insecurity as well as an undue sense of invulnerability.
There is sound psychology in this, but I think the comment might be unfairly generalizing the American populace. One look at our politics proves that we generally don't agree on much. The "star spangled patriotism" we are speaking of really isn't as common as outsiders might think. I think most Americans are just too busy trying to survive to bother with it.

Ideally the flag should stand for diversity. Our former defacto motto "E Pluribus unum" demonstrates this message. It translates to "out of one, many", and is the primary reason I reject the current motto. Not for any gripe with religion, but that the motto only represents a certain class and culture, and that culture can be pretty damned obnoxious about it.

But make no mistake, most Americans know we aren't the best in the world at everything. We do have a certain level of pride and I think that's okay. It's only the ultra obnoxious that dominate our airwaves. As my folks often say "just because you've seen it on TV, doesn't make it true."

I've covered a lot of ground in my life, been through big cities and small towns and interacted with thousands on top of thousands of people. I've never seen someone get shot, never witnessed a riot, a large protest, a lynching, and only very few scuffles. I only recently shook hands with a senator, and that was a first.

98% of this land just isn't represented in our media. I'll ask our neighbors abroad to please don't judge us by that. Look at the diverse opinions on the matter right here on this forum....
-Andrea
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Moon the correct translation is "Out of Many One"
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:Moon the correct translation is "Out of Many One"
I stand corrected. Thank you sir!
-Andrea
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Sinned wrote:WL, I'm not sure that your average cremation can be considered a religious rite any more. I have attended recently cremations where there was no religious element to the service. I don't think that Jenn was meaning to imply any religious flavour to the cremation only that a fireman, being involved with putting fires out may wish for the opposite to be done to his body. I think you were reading too much into what she said and nothing was intimated about the fireman's religious beliefs.

The quote about the fireman is actually Oldsalt’s post. My post was below what he wrote.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:
Jim wrote:With fire most of your remains become air pollution. A "green burial", no casket, no preservatives added, returns your elements to the earth much better.
True, and that wouldn't bother me either, but I always thought that was illegal.
In Many states it is perfectly legal to have a natural burial.BUT most if not all of the cemeteries and funeral companies(0) will not allow you to do that. They have set up rules to make as much money off of your death as they can. You can find out by contacting the health and human services department of your state.

(0) Most funeral homes are owned by major national conglomerates even though they may still carry the name of the local people that once owned it.

So lets put the fun back in funeral!!! :rofl: :hide:

:sorry:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Decomposition releases methane, which is a far more potent greenhouse gas than the carbon dioxide released by burning. Disposing of vegtation by drying and burning is almost certainly better for the atmosphere than composting it, but I don't know if the same holds for human bodies.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.