Wooden creations

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Wooden creations

Post by beachlion »

I'm glad builders shops like Home Depot and Lowe's are seen as essential so with some restrictions I still can get my lumber and hardware.

Today I finished a new wooden creation, a chest of drawers. It replaces a chest where the bottoms fell out of the drawers due to years of overstuffing.
IMG_0263q.jpg
It is about 40"wide and 35" high.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A lovely elegant chest, BL and the choice of timber is very attractive. It will outlast you, no doubt. I remember an elderly lady interviewed in her home and she remarked that 'Time has been a lot less kind to me than to my furniture'!

Alas DIY stores here are considered non-essential and are all closed until further notice. At home I perforce have to catch up on a lot of DIY, most of it outdoors and I must make do with what's already here, not being able to buy anything.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Nice grain matching. Interesting juxtaposition on the upper/lower pulls.
Maple, alder? Wood rails or did you make interior room for mechanical rollers?
Missing my shop while 'hanging out' at this Oregon beach retreat awaiting birds that fly.
cheers
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

It is just simple wood from Home Depoy. The frame pieces are Radiata pine, the drawer bodies are knotty pine and the side panels and drawer fronts are poplar.

I made 6 horizontal frames and screwed them to the side panels.
IMG_0224q.jpg
The drawers run on those frames. The back is from 12 mm ply. The drawer sides are dovetailed.
IMG_0230q.jpg
IMG_0232q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Beautiful workmanship, BL. Use of a router to cut yer dovetails is cheating of course. What ever happened to the ruler, pencil and tenon saw, I wonder?
Thought you'd instal heavy-duty roller bearings on that lowest drawer for the Kalashnikovs & ammo!, but I particularly like your side panels made out of perimeter frames embracing the beveled main panels. Nice detail.

4000 years ago I built an entire kitchen into our then Tudor house in Hampshire, England using beveled oak panels held in place by mitred Eucalyptus T&G frames on the fronts. Three years after we sold it the guy who bought the house from us had replaced the lot in PINK!!, but gave us our old kitchen cabinets back for free, which he had stored, not destroyed. They now grace our current house, built and designed to accommodate our own old kitchen, now 51 years old! Sentiment!

Tom
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Gracias. Good reminder of the value of dovetail joints to keep things true so you can open/close them smoothly after years of use, rather than the cutting time with easier joints that give way too soon and all utility is lost. I sometimes need that kick in the tail -- a bit of old fashion quality construction extends the lifetime. Love that you were able to 'recycle' your 4000 year old cabinets, too!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:45 am Beautiful workmanship, BL. Use of a router to cut yer dovetails is cheating of course. What ever happened to the ruler, pencil and tenon saw, I wonder?
Thought you'd instal heavy-duty roller bearings on that lowest drawer for the Kalashnikovs & ammo!, but I particularly like your side panels made out of perimeter frames embracing the beveled main panels. Nice detail. ....
I rather do dovetails with a router than by hand. I like to have the piece finished in my lifetime.

When I made the lower drawers, the size of them brought a more sinister thought to me than just AK-47s and ammo. But in these troubling times, I keep that thought to myself.

I will put some candle wax on the drawer bottoms to have them sliding easyly.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Candle wax. Just the ticket. Yes, even your millimetric accurate drawer fit won't keep the smell of rotting torsos sealed in and the problem about flushing 'em down the loo is that the heads tend to get stuck in the u-bends! :cyclops: Shudder!!

Yes, your powered jointing machine is a great encouragement to take on very complex projects like that chest of drawers. I expect the satisfaction factor is wonderful. I see you're an old codger like myself, so don't give up now!

Tom
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

Love your work beachlion.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

I am blushing a little as you show us all your drawers :oops: :mrgreen:

Nice workmanship :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Our fine dry spell continues and yesterday we dusted off a high shelf one model sailing boat made in carvel planked wood with 9 lbs of lead in her bottom, 'Sohar', modelled on the dhou of that name built by Tim Severin's team to sail from Oman to China for his adventure book.

This craft was a Christmas present to my youngest son, then aged nine. He is now 44, making that boat all of 35 years old. Scale: roughly 4ft long, 4ft tall. No wind yesterday, just 23 deg.C and sultry, hence string attached to the bow!

Tom