Wooden creations

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: Wooden creations

Post by beachlion »

Recently I made a little addition to the kitchen cabinets. An American habit seems to be the liberal consumption of medicine. In our household this is no exception. Like a squirrel, my wife is storing the pills at various places in the house. To streamline this I made a medicine cabinet that had to blend in with the kitchen cabinets. Most medicine will be used during or shortly after meals so the kitchen was the logical place to me. To save counter top space, I made a sort of vertical drawer system to house the pills.
P1010532q.jpg
P1010534q.jpg
P1010537q.jpg
P1010538q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

That's smart, and would work for things like spices, too. Nicely done.
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

That looks really good, great idea. Might have to try some of those some day.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's an ingenious design, BL, but upon actively thinking about it, I'm a bit concerned that over time the slides/rails will become warped or bent, especially if the cabinet is left extended for long periods of time. Standard drawer slides are designed to take a pretty strong downward load (from gravity and the contents of the drawer), but in this case we're off by 90 degrees so that load appears sideways to the hardware, and that's not what it was designed for.

I believe there are special slides manufactured for precisely this sort of application, but whether they'd be available at your standard "box store" is anybody's guess.

Alternatively, a workaround might be to place the weight-bearing rails at the top "behind" and "in front of" (as looking into the cabinet from the side) and a third mounted "on the bottom" (narrow dimension) as a stabiliser to keep the thing from rocking. That'd put the load in the axis the rails are designed to take it, leaving the third as only a guide with no load in its weak axis. (Think of the suspension tactic as being akin to a roller-coaster when it's inverted and hanging upside-down.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

CR has a point there. At minimum, I would avoid putting anything heavy in it.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I had done this before with no mishap. I did not put the sliders vertical because of the limited space to get the screws in. The space inside is about a fist wide and is 500 mm (ca 20") deep so you have to screw in those little screws with stretched arms and almost no visual.
The slider slides with little balls in races folded in the thin strips that form the body of the slider. There is some deflection but not enough to let the balls pop out of the races.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote:I had done this before with no mishap.
It'll be fine under light loads; I was thinking mainly if some heavy object got accidentally put into an "outside" slot that the moment might be enough to deform the rails.

I've worked on rack-mounted computers that had rails that could easily support 100+ pounds vertically but if more than about 10 pounds of force was applied laterally would destroy the whole works (and potentially injure the technician).
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

To be honest, this way of mounting the sliders went against my engineering grain. If I see the beginning of permanent deforming, I go to plan B. Make a new box, screw the sliders to the back before I close the box.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote:To be honest, this way of mounting the sliders went against my engineering grain. If I see the beginning of permanent deforming, I go to plan B. Make a new box, screw the sliders to the back before I close the box.
That's another way to do it -- that I hadn't thought of.

Note that I was not slagging off on the design, I was merely making an observation based on some years of experience with that sort of machinery.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

When you know something is not quite right, over time that notion begins to grow. The remark of Carl about the slides was accelerating that mental process.

Today I unscrewed the little cabinet and brought it in the dungeon, aka my workshop. I removed the left panel and slides. To place the slides sideways, I had to make two dados in the left panel to gain some room sideways. The slides are 1/2" thick and there was just a little over 1/4" space available. After mounting the slides to the left panel and the drawer I could screw the cabinet back in its original place. The drawer runs a little lighter, has no sagging at all and pulls out a little farther. Now I can sleep again. ;)
P1010596q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

The design does remind me of the cupboards at pharmacies and the variations thereof you can find often in kitchens in the old world. But still, nice piece of work.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

beachlion wrote:The remark of Carl about the slides was accelerating that mental process.
Sorry about that, BL! 'Twas not my intent to cause distress!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote:
beachlion wrote:The remark of Carl about the slides was accelerating that mental process.
Sorry about that, BL! 'Twas not my intent to cause distress!
I'm glad you did because it was the last push I needed to rectify this. ;)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Eat yer heart out, BL, Just get yerself an eyeful of this fine example of Real Precision joinery.......One Donkey shelter.

MOH feeds said donkeys at a corner manger beside our (imposing) front gate. Very recently we helped a friend empty his large house which he had just sold and we acquired a mountain of odd structural timber, hence the order for the shelter.

I'm holding aloft two fine precision portable battery-driven tools, one of which can saw timber apart to resemble the San Andreas fault, the other will fasten the whole thing together using Phillips-head screws which are of course totally invisible if you don't look.

My new skirtsuit is a bit slim in the jacket department and the full skirt has no pockets for clout nails & screws &c. Reddish tights are to add a splash of colour, absent elsewhere in the frame, the elegant footwear is specifically to get near the donkeys and the hat is merely worn for doffing to passing strangers on the road outside.

Tom
Rs Sksuit & tools for donkeyshed..jpg
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Is this the situation before or after the hurricane? ;)

I see two battery drills from this distance. Is one equipped with a bit with teeth around the shaft that eats it way through wood?

It must feel very liberating to do work with timber instead of doing micro-movements in somebody's mouth.

A serious tip: if you get 2nd hand wood, check for nails, screws or other metal to spare your hands, feet and tools.

I think you need thicker wood in the corners between the roof and the verticals to improve structural threnght. You as a sailor should know about the force of wind.
PC140160q.jpg