American "don'ts"

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.

American "don'ts"

Postby moonshadow » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:30 am

I came across this video some time ago, and thought it would be cool to share it here...

The Don'ts of America

Now when I first saw the title, I thought it was going to be some crass political thing, but to my surprise, it was actually some pretty practical advice for those traveling from abroad.

The advice regarding staying at a cheap hotel (or motel), rather than a luxury one, I will also endorse. In fact, I've found that my more comfortable stays have been in smaller, older "mom and pop" motels. Choose one that is ONE STORY (all one level) so you don't have to worry about other guest stomping around over top of you. Also, with these type of motels, you can usually pull your car straight up to your door.
"We all have the tendency to make simple things difficult, but the spirit that abides within us achieves its own ends by making all difficult things simple."
-Manly Palmer Hall
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: American "don'ts"

Postby weeladdie18 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:19 am

It is worth noting that in the U.K. , some Motels have not survived as overnight Accommodation for the motorist...
some remain as shells of unserviceable buildings.

I used Youth Hostel Association accommodation for several years. Ensuit rooms ,, with communial dining room or self catering kitchen.
Handy to have personal food and drink storage in the self catering kitchen. .....Handy for the tourist or hiker on a foreign tour of
the U.K....Many are old large family homes......I have travelled around Scotland on the train and used this prebooked accommodation.

The South West Coastal Footpath is popular with foreign hikers .....as many miles as one feels one can travel in a Month.....
As far as I can remember the path is 650 miles long. Bus, train, and baggage transfers are also an option.

If you want demanding holiday ; ....I met one widower who spent 6 months touring Scotland on a folding bike and sleeping
in a tent .............I took my hat off to him .....................weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Postby Gusto10 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:06 pm

moonshadow wrote:I came across this video some time ago, and thought it would be cool to share it here...

The Don'ts of America

Now when I first saw the title, I thought it was going to be some crass political thing, but to my surprise, it was actually some pretty practical advice for those traveling from abroad.

The advice regarding staying at a cheap hotel (or motel), rather than a luxury one, I will also endorse. In fact, I've found that my more comfortable stays have been in smaller, older "mom and pop" motels. Choose one that is ONE STORY (all one level) so you don't have to worry about other guest stomping around over top of you. Also, with these type of motels, you can usually pull your car straight up to your door.

Interesting, as many Americans coming to the old world, have no notion as how to do things. When given advice, most times they don't want to hear it. Many -expats - hardly take the chance to study the country they ae all the want is the same hamburger, canned - thus unhealthy - food, their US version of Dr Pepper as the taste is amended per country. They will drive 2.5 hours to the nearest US foodstuf outlet while the local supermarket carries the same stuff, etc. Many don't even try to gain elementary knowledge of the language (sometimes not needed as the locals speak English of some form); a problem which you see more often, like Germans or Dutch in France not capable of speaking French, French not being able to speak English, German or Dutch, etc. Living in compounds as the outside world is frightening.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Postby dillon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:43 am

Gusto10 wrote:
moonshadow wrote:I came across this video some time ago, and thought it would be cool to share it here...

The Don'ts of America

Interesting, as many Americans coming to the old world, have no notion as how to do things. When given advice, most times they don't want to hear it. Many -expats - hardly take the chance to study the country they ae all the want is the same hamburger, canned - thus unhealthy - food, their US version of Dr Pepper as the taste is amended per country. They will drive 2.5 hours to the nearest US foodstuf outlet while the local supermarket carries the same stuff, etc. Many don't even try to gain elementary knowledge of the language (sometimes not needed as the locals speak English of some form); a problem which you see more often, like Germans or Dutch in France not capable of speaking French, French not being able to speak English, German or Dutch, etc. Living in compounds as the outside world is frightening.

I found this an unfair generalization. I am part of a very international family and have many acquaintances from all around the world. I could share the litany of their complaints about anything and everything American right along with the efforts many of them go to in order to remain in the US. But I won’t post rudely.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Return to Off Topic