Winter in Cornwall U.K.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.

Winter in Cornwall U.K.

Postby weeladdie18 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:39 am

I received a report that one of my friends was on an afternoon beach walk on Christmas Day ......
A ... S.A.R..... helicopter flew past and Father Christmas was waving from the open winch door.

He was probably checking to ensure that all the Kiddies were happy with their xmas stockings....
The helicopter was heading back to the Frozen North......Oh thanks for modern technology

Sea temperature for the Christmas Swimmers was 9 C ...Air temp 12 C and overcast.

Yesterday air temp was 8 to 9 C in northerly winds..... Daffodils are now in bud in the hedgerows....
Plenty of mud and rainwater on the roads.
Anything could happen with the weather before the end of March.....Another Polar Vortex and a possible beast from the East.

Back in the 1880's the Bay of Panama went ashore South of the Helford River in a Blizzard...the crew froze to death in the rigging
and there was 8 feet of snow on the cliffs.......that was a week later in March than last years Beast from the East........

Last winter we had a 21 foot tidal wave a couple of miles up the Helford River............

Recently we had a Russian Freighter aground close to a Falmouth Beach....The ship was recovered by 5 Tugs and
is now being detained as 100 safety faults must be rectified......I understand that the Shipping Company has
150 Crew ashore in ports all over the World as other vessels are unfit to go to sea.

The latest story is of a single handed fisherman who fell over the side of a vessel on automatic pilot and was dragged
five miles whilst holding on to his vessel. ....He was rescued by the Lifeboat before the fishing vessel hit the quay wall.

Just another day in Cornwall...................Stay safe this year...........weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Winter in Cornwall U.K.

Postby weeladdie18 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:10 pm

10 January 2019....A starry sky last night with frost this morning....first heavy frost since November.

There was a presentation last evening regarding a competitor in the 1917 Ostar single handed race who had a knock down in a
hurricane which stove in one of his cabin windows , disabled his electrical system and steering gear....and set off his EPURB...

He was located by a Coast Guard Aircraft four hours out of Halifax Nova Scotia.......the aircraft had two hours to locate
other disabled competitors and a four hour return trip to Halifax....a 10 hour rescue trip.

The British Cunard Cruise liner Queen Elisabeth located the vessel some 12 hours later, she drifted down onto the yacht ,
launched a safety boat over the Leeward side and transferred the yacht skipper to the deck of the liner in the safety boat...

Three days later the liner arrived in Canada and the yacht skipper flew home.....It was unfortunate that the Yacht had to be
scuppered as a hazard to navigation.......just another day................

There was a story in the press recently concerning the sighting of a capsized yacht....the yacht had been drifting in the
Southern Ocean for 8 years after she had been abandoned by an American Teenage Round the World Yachtswoman.

The Yachtswoman was picked up by a French Fishing Vessel 200 miles west of Australia.....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Postby dillon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:59 am

Cornwall? Do you know Doc Martin?

Just kidding. Smile!

Dillon
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Postby dillon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:10 am

BTW, on January 3rd 2018, it started snowing here...a rarity...and accumulated about three inches. The temperature went to a record low of -4 F. On January 3rd 2019 the temperature was 76F, and I was doing yard work in shorts and sweating. No such thing as climate change? Go figure. And, BTW, despite a week of record cold, last winter still turned out with above average temperature, as have the last five winters.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Return to Off Topic