Sewing table

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sewing table

Post by weeladdie18 »

So it is easy to get a free working table for a bit of dress making.....on my new table
the legs are detachable so it is easy to cut a well in the table and lower the base of the
sewing machine.

Somewhere on the internet there is a video of a D.I.Y. project to make a carpenters table
with all the stops and a vice All machined wood cams and clamps ...All easy stuff with
a modern router.... all the film is speeded up so a man can make his table
in five minutes L.O.L.

I was involved with big boys toys , helicopters, tanks and boats.....all steel and ally structures
A bit of G R P and wood thrown in for a bit of entertainment

I think in a metal world ....every component in an assembly has to achieve its design function.
Now I am retired I like to think in wood ,...But I do not know how to make a wooden wheelbarrow.
That is one of the most difficult tasks for an apprentice , so how does he complete the task...
He rings up the building suppliers and askes them to put a steel wheelbarrow , made in China ,on
the delivery waggon....problem solved with the arrival of the white delivery van
with a Chinese wheelbarrow inside
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

weeladdie18 wrote: The machine has not been used since atleast 2005. say 20 years....
It's a Time Machine!
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I made some progress, even with the Christmas chores.
P1010581q.jpg
From 12 mm ply, I made a cabinet and drawers. Put together with pockethole screws (Kreg).
P1010582q.jpg
From some leftovers from the pine I made drawer fronts. With shims I aligned the fronts and screwed them to the drawer bodies.
P1010585q.jpg
The cabinet is attached to the legs. The next step is making the dividers. And a new project for the sewing machine is already waiting, a just over the knee denim skirt, winter version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Very nice work! I've dabbled a bit in woodworking, but nothing like that.

You are right, sharp tools, as well as the correct tools, make a world of difference.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Beautiful, BL.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Thanks for the compliments. In 2005, I broke up with my partner, I retired and move back to my home town The Hague. Without any furniture. So I started from scratch and with primitive tools to build furniture. To compensate my lack of woodworking experience, I bought quite expensive equipment because I knew how to to handle machinery. The engineering side was not a problem. So I made tables, cabinets and a bed. When I moved to the USA, I had to sell my electrical equipment because of the differnce of the grid but I had already bought new in the USA during my earlier visits to my future wife. In the Netherlands we were thinking that every American guy had a workshop in the basement. So I made a workshop in the basement. After I discovered that sharp tools work much better, my products became much better. And I learned about the typical joints and other tricks in woodworking. In the USA, I also made some furniture, even a floorlamp for behind the couch.
P1010057q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak