What to wear in Thailand.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

What to wear in Thailand.

Post by WesleyN »

My wife wants to go to Thailand next year. I read that they are pretty prudish there. And a short or short skirt is insulting. The knees may not be seen. Is there a traditional cover? Do you have tips on what I could wear there?

At the same time they are also tolerant again. I think it sounds rather contradictory.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What to wear in Thailand.

Post by Sinned »

I just googled the topic and the following site popped up whose advice seems sensible:

https://www.tielandtothailand.com/what- ... dos-donts/

Obviously it doesn't say anything about men wearing skirts so you may want to dig deeper. But it seems that short skirts are ok for women as long as they aren't too short. It appears that spaghetti strap tops are out and no cleavage, please! I get the impression that as long as you aren't blatant then you'll be ok. My son and his partner went there one year backpacking and they had no problems in T-shirts and shorts.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

My impression is that Thialand is a pretty permissive place, but hopefully you can get advice from someone who's actually been there.

Also, tourists generally get.a pass for incongruity and cluelessness anywhere. Just be polite and apologize readily.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

@Sinned: Thank you for your answer. But I have just read that kind of information. That's also the reason for my question. After reading that information.

@Caultron: I had the impression Thailand is very tolerant and friendly to other people. Of course I hope people went to Thailand. They will be have the best tips.

But I am not going to wear bermudas. I hate that kind of pants. I have worn them for a long time at festivals. And at one point I get the chance to wear skirts. I've been doing it in secret for much longer. But a skirt was a relief. Because I think bermudas are pretty much the worst piece of clothing there is. And if it is above 30 degrees, I have to wear light clothing.

Beachlion has written a better translation for my question. He's Dutch like me. And lives in America.

"My wife wants to go to Thailand next year. I read that they are pretty prudish over there. And short shorts or skirts are insulting. The knees should not be visible. Is there a traditional cover-up? Do you have tips on what I could wear there?

At the same time they are also tolerant. I think it sounds rather contradictory."

But I have delayed that holiday.Because I think it's expensive for us to go there. I think we better stay in Europe next year.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

My son in law and family went to Thailand this summer and wore shorts and pants with out any problems at all. They traveled all over the country. So I don't think you would have any problem wearing skirts.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

I visited about 20 years ago and found them to be a tolerant people. Be respectful and modestly dressed around temples and public monuments; they had clothing you could put on over your own clothes to cover any indiscretions.

In bars and restaurants you should be ok with anything that might be similar in length to Bermuda shorts.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

Thank you all.

I hoped I could wear same kind of skirts as men do (there). Maybe my wife could be accepted that. But everywhere they wear western clothes. So I could say. I wear men clothes.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

I spent about 18 months in Thailand in the early 70's up North near Udon Thani.

Do not point at someone with your foot - it is offensive to them. We were told never
to step on a coin - the face of the king was on the coin and that may get you killed.

Do not get caught using drugs - you may end up in the "monkey house" (prison) and their prisons system wasn't good.

Clothing - depends upon the area you visit or live in. Men often wore sarongs (even to work in construction sites.) Sandals were common - even in construction sites. The poor are often very poor. I was able to take a picture of a couple of children a small boy and girl. She had shorts on (no shirt) he had a shirt on (no shorts). It was all the clothes that they had.

The wealthy are very wealthy and dress "to the nines" in tailor made clothes. When I came home - everything I had (excluding my military uniforms) was tailor made for me including civilian shoes. The cost was very reasonable.

The Thai people are very friendly if you treat them with respect - those 18 months were the best of my military career.

I could go on and on … but things have probably changed dramatically from the 70's.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

Nice story, PatJ. It is a shame that everything is starting to look more and more like the Western World. It is a pity that the various companies do not try to preserve their own culture.
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

As for a little different story...

I was traveling into town one time and a water buffalo was crossing the highway. It stopped for a "dump" in the middle of the road. I never had seen that much manure come out of an animal at one time before, and I live in dairy country U.S.A.! I thought that if a car would hit that pile, it would cause an accident because it actually covered about 3/4 of the traffic lane. No worries though, fertilizer is very important to the Thai's and within a couple of minutes, the entire mess was cleared off the highway by shovels and taken home to private gardens.

As for traveling by taxi - if you are in an accident - flee the scene. You, (the passenger) is at fault for the accident because you told the taxi driver where to go. At least, that was the case back then.

Regardless, I would love to visit the country again and see just how much of the language I remember.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

We were on holiday in Spain. We drove back through Andorra. We were just out of Andorra. And there was a group of cattle in the middle of the road staring at us. And then wait until they get the idea to continue walking. I do not know how long it took. But they left at one point. Fortunately, we all had a headache. So I had to sit behind the wheel the whole ride. It was 36 degrees celsius. And we can't stand that badly.