An Autumn Day in Cornwall

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: An Autumn Day in Cornwall

Post by weeladdie18 »

Our rain started about 0300 ..Finished by 1100 . Grey day with plenty of green fallen leaves. Less than an inch of rain today.
Afternoon temperature 16 C. ....Porthallow , South East of the Helford River had plenty of pebbles pushed up the beach to form a ridge covered
in seaweed. More sand exposed......makes it difficult for the tractor to push the boats down the beach. The beach looks different to yesterday.
Forty years ago the old men spoke of the quarry chippings which covered over the sandy beach.
Just south at Porthoustock, the blasting continues every day at mid day. The siren sounds and the whole beach shakes with the vibration.
I looked at a house there. Could have had my midday drink , shaken but not stirred. ......Rod...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Next bay round the point .....Dean Quarry , there were plans to reopen the stone workings for a tidal hydro electric plant in South Wales.
The whole project was cancelled recently. No money.........Everything is wind farms these days.
The small coasters still come into Porthhoustock , loading road ballast. I have been told there was a hostel for 200 quarry workers years ago.

Interesting heritage of the old mineral workings and old buildings right across Cornwall. ...they say there is a Cornish Miner at the bottom of
every mine in the World.......Big winches and pumping engines driven by steam and operated by the engine driver before the days of
steam transport.........I saw a steam driven racing car at one of the rallies, ....all brass and copper pipes with wooden spoked wheels ...Rod
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom.... Another gale of wind tomorrow in Cornwall....Coming in from the south with more rain . Possibly all day...
..Should be better on sunday ...Rod
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Rod,
We had that gale last night. It is reported that a few trees fell in various places, but no major damage done.
Tomorrow I'll be galley-slaving at 08.00 hours with 8 other geriatrics. No suitable tide this week, so we're confined to fresh water, crowded with young hopefuls doing 9 to 11 outings per week to be in the hunt as competitive rowers.

About every two weeks we get over the weir and portage our eight down onto the high tide. From there we row 7Km straight East into the Dawn under all 20 of Dublin's Liffey bridges to reach Alexandra Basin in the docks, where we spin her round and head West, sprinting between the bridges, the widest of which being O'Connell bridge right in the middle. It takes 5 to 7 strokes to clear that tunnel-arch with a 12-knot silent glide between strokes.
Rs Dawn row, Dublin Docks.jpg
It's calm again now.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Oh my word, Tom! That photo looks like the lot of you are headed off into a painting to join eternity. Stunning!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

That is a stunning picture, worth framing.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Guys,

Yes, that picture has indeed been framed. It was taken by a member of the Neptune Boat Club and copies of it are on sale . A member of that club kindly sent it to me per E-mail and I resized my copy for posting.
It is typical of how the place frequently looks at this time of year, when the Dawn is about 07.30 and we get down there at about 08.30. We rowers only get to see that view on our return trip!
With constant building going on it's difficult to get a shot free of cranes.

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:Yes, that picture has indeed been framed. It was taken by a member of the Neptune Boat Club and copies of it are on sale .
And no wonder on that count! That's one of the few shots ever exposed that just has "pet" written all over it. From the exquisite light, the pastel sky, that astonishing bridge which I can't get out of my head, to the wake of the pencil that the rowers are perched atop of, and the expanding ripples of where the oars drove the lot through the water the thing is simply breathtaking. I wish I could be there.
With constant building going on it's difficult to get a shot free of cranes.
Dublin is a world-class city. One has to expect these sorts of things.

One of the shots I took many, many moons ago was a sunset image shot from the 5th floor of the new Hancock building in Boston looking westward past the old South Church. The only thing that marred it, and which I only discovered after looking at the projected Kodachrome slide, was a single TV aerial against the skyline. Other than that, the thing could have been a view from the 19th Century.

Yours, on the other hand, is thoroughly 21st. Even with the sailing vessel tied up on the river bank.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Saturday ...39 to 57 mph southerly wind forecast today in Cornwall. I am going off for breakfast....in a café the other side of the biggest helicopter base
in Europe. I drive along a 2.5 mile frontage of the airfield...Employs 3000 staff. opened in 1946 with 750 acres of land .

Has anyone been picked up off the deck of a lifeboat by a hairy arsed diver with his winch wire wound up around the pushpit of the lifeboat
whist the lifeboat was steaming at 10 knots ?

A statistic for your books One of the S.A.R. Divers jumped out of the helicopter .in full S.C.U.B.A. Gear from a height of 60 feet.
They say the aircrew drive their cars the way they fly their aircraft....
When I was a boy the airmecs who were in my class at college
could only afford Mini Coopers........
I have only done 105 M.P.H. in the 1.4.Ford I will be driving today....
I get a bit upset when a tractor with 40 tons of bales on the trailer pulls out of a field in front of me. ................ ............Rod
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Carl,

That was before airbrushing! Fortunately TV aerials are gone from rooftops now. When they filmed 'Boston' in the period Irish emigrant film 'Far & Away' with Tom Cruise & Nicole Kidman they used Dublin's Temple Bar area. The problem with the real Boston then was finding a cityscape without high-rises, or so we were told by our cost-props friend who made N. Kidman's costumes for that film.

Dublin has no high-rises and the sprinkling of mid-rises are kept well away from the city centre, with one exception built in the 60s, Liberty Hall, which they want to knock, anyway.

Rod,

Sauntering down a Cornish country lane at 105 mph is not for the feint-hearted and the tractor with the straw bales will always win. And Yes, to exploit the capabilities of those life-saving helicopters you need the right caliber of pilot, that's for sure.

Tom
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom, as far as I am aware the helicopter Navigator trains on a 16 week navigation course flown in navy jets.

I may have said this before , In 1964 on my first day at work I saw a Sea King Helicopter In the X P shop. The aircraft was commissioned
By the Navy in 1968 ... One of my friends saw the last sea king fly out of Culdrose this summer.

The aircraft was in service for 50 years..........Active service as far away as the Falklands...
For my sins...when I go up to Helston for breakfast I see one of the decommissioned Sea Kings, in RED AND GREY Search and rescue livery,
sitting sadly on display in the corner of the airfield. ...
..I was in the local Coast Guards and we flew in the Sea King as guinea pig casualties for the R.N.L.I. helicopter transfers.
The navy would always winch us onto the ground as they did not wish to land and get the landing wheels dirty... .................Rod
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Bird migration.....15 October .....Plenty of birds about today ...they must be gathering to fly south for the winter.............. ...........Rod
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom, Thanks for the Dublin picture .stunning , love the pools of water from the oars.....Do you know which tall ship is along side, ?
Weather improving , laid up seven wayfarers on Saturday morning. I was rowing our punt ( small rowing boat) for two or three hours.
towing the boats to the slipway.
I reminded some of my friends that some folks love mucking about in boats , others love boating about in muck.
It was raining early and then cleared for a warm sunny day. More wind sunday .overcast with more swell Monday.
Been out in the garden this evening ,getting the Beer Lugger ready to take down to the beach....
Might be O.K. for fishing under sail off the beach until Xmas...
The boat will be worked off the beach singlehanded with an electric wire recovery winch owned by the village.... my friend will be working
his 16 foot registered boat off the same beach.....I first went off this beach 50 years ago.....
The viilage pilchard company worked off the same beach over a hundred years ago.
Only one registered fishing boat on the beach now . ..................This boat has been working off the beach for thirty years.
This is how we work the seasons with our other commitments.....Cooler weather and the tourist industry winding down for the winter .
Must try to get some photos.
I will be putting my 13 foot rowing work boat on the same beach and a 10 foot sailing and rowing boat on the Helford river.

We might get held up by the bad weather in Florida. This last march the whole beach was devastated by storm Emma.
The latest reports are that the Squid and the bass are moving inshore for the run up to the Xmas Market.....Sea temperatures might be too high this year.

Reports are that the reservoir levels are well down at present. We have only recently had 3 or 4 inches of rain...................Rod.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Many of the rich incomers are heading to warmer climates for the winter.....House prices show my property valuation went up by £40 ,000 in the
past 4 years....These properties are being rented out for £ 1000 per month.......might give others some Idea of the economics of Cornwall.....
Many Local professionals travel 30 to 40 miles to work each day......The local school leaving students have an hour and a half bus trip each way
every day...Leaving home at 0700 returning to their homes at 1800.

St Ives is likely to have an influx of 9000 visitors for the new year celebrations..........
I feel it is likely that I will hide in my cage in the depths of winter...............................Rod
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

A sunny day due for today Wednesday 17 October.... in Cornwall.............went to Macsalvors the yacht chandlers in Penryn....
Followed by a visit to a Charity Furniture store and a charity classic goods shop, next door ...
..Bought a six foot high Double fronted glass display cabinet . Ideal for some of my library of reference books.
Tried on a vintage pencil skirt suit....Not quite the right size, and it had a moth hole....needed a good pressing and cleaning.

Next stop was the maritime museum. The local Model Boat building Club had their usual Tuesday morning display in the Falmouth Boatbuiding
section of the museum ..The rebuilt steam engine for the museum' steam launch is now on display...The rebuild of the launch by
the College Boat Building Apprentices is continuing. The Model Boat Builder is engaged in rebuilding old scale model boats.

A model of the Falmouth Quay Punt which was sailed twice round the world was on dispay........
One of my shipwright friends was working on the boat preparing her for one of her cruises. If I remember correctly ,she went south into the ice flows.
Next was a shopping trip into Falmouth town....that was another interesting story.................Rod