windows 8.1 problems

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
quantum

Re: windows 8.1 problems

Post by quantum »

weeladdie18 wrote:Went back to my computer technician.....best way foward is to upgrade to windows 10.
However this costs the customer Approximately £70 ,inclusive of Microsoft Licence.
Softwaregeeks are selling a Windows 10 Pro licence for £13.99

http://r.email.softwaregeeks.co.uk/btru2u73irdff.html

--
Ian
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

quantum wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Went back to my computer technician.....best way foward is to upgrade to windows 10.
However this costs the customer Approximately £70 ,inclusive of Microsoft Licence.

--
Ian
Note that this is for a clean install of W10 Pro not an upgrade from W7.
It will allow an upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro though.

Even cheaper on eBay but one would have to be careful of the seller perhaps? :wink:

BTW I have nothing against a clean install providing that a back up of the user's data and programs is available to re-install afterwards. :)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

shadowfax wrote:Note that this is for a clean install of W10 Pro not an upgrade from W7.
Somehow the words "Windows" and "Pro" in the same sentence in a computing context seems very much like an oxymoron.

The underlying kernel is pretty good, and has an excellent heritage. However all the other assorted crust that M$ allow to run in "ring zero" completely eradicates any virtue of the primary OS. If some random device-driver can run rough-shod over all the hardware, no matter how good the kernel is means precisely squat.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
quantum

Post by quantum »

It is still possible to get the free update from Windows 8 to Windows 10 - officially it ended some time ago, but I updated a laptop around two months ago and expected it not to work, but it did.

--
Ian
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

shadowfax wrote:
quantum wrote:

--
Ian
Note that this is for a clean install of W10 Pro not an upgrade from W7.
It will allow an upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro though.

Even cheaper on eBay but one would have to be careful of the seller perhaps? :wink:

BTW I have nothing against a clean install providing that a back up of the user's data and programs is available to re-install afterwards. :)
Oops! :oops: I should have written, "Note that this is for a clean install of W10 Pro not an upgrade from W8.1".
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Free Update from W8 to W10

Post by shadowfax »

quantum wrote:It is still possible to get the free update from Windows 8 to Windows 10 - officially it ended some time ago, but I updated a laptop around two months ago and expected it not to work, but it did.

--
Ian
I found this article, written in July this year, about how to update for free, from W8 to W10.
I haven't tried this myself but ZD Net is well respected, I believe.

A free upgrade from W7 to W10 is also possible according to the same article.
Last edited by shadowfax on Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

shadowfax wrote:
quantum wrote:It is still possible to get the free update from Windows 8 to Windows 10 - officially it ended some time ago, but I updated a laptop around two months ago and expected it not to work, but it did.

--
Ian
I found this article, written in July this year, about how to update for free from W8 to W10.
My friend tried to do exactly this a couple of days back and couldn't get it to work (loooong thread on FaceBook where various people were chipping in ideas). He is pretty IT savvy but it had him beat after many hours of trying....
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

FranTastic444 wrote:
shadowfax wrote:

--
Ian
I found this article, written in July this year, about how to update for free from W8 to W10.
My friend tried to do exactly this a couple of days back and couldn't get it to work (loooong thread on FaceBook where various people were chipping in ideas). He is pretty IT savvy but it had him beat after many hours of trying....
I did say that I hadn't tried it myself. Sorry to hear that your friend couldn't get it to work. :(