The Moon Shadow diet

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

The Moon Shadow diet

Post by moonshadow »

I know I've been somewhat absent on the forum for a few weeks. I have been keeping up with it on my phone, just not posting as it's somewhat cumbersome to do so on the phone. The major reason for this was the moment my septic system was installed, I hustled to rake the entire yard, get it smoothed over, and finally sow some grass. I worked every evening up until about 9-10PM doing this, and by the time I was finished, I just didn't have the energy to get online. Additionally I've had some other personal business going on that's tied up my normal routine, but I think that's starting to settle down now....

Anyway, among some of that business was my annual visit to my doctor. He politely got onto me a little about my weight. Though I'm not substantially overweight, I am heading in that direction. I weigh 12 lbs more than I did last year. It's not hard to imagine why either. My diet was very heavy on sugar and processed foods. Snack crackers, Little Debbie Cakes, cheese its, and ice cream daily, along with sweet tea, countless fountain drinks during the day, candy bars, etc etc....

He told me he doesn't expect me to quit all the junk foods, nor is he advising that. He said a little ice cream once in a while won't kill you, and if you're out with family or friends and want to have some pizza or a burger that's fine. But the DAILY junk food has to stop. He basically said I needed a lifestyle change, or in ten years I'll be on $200 per month worth of pharmaceuticals to stay alive.

I'll mention here that's he's somewhat of a holistic doctor who I see basically because I don't want to be a slave the the pharmaceutical industry...

So for about a week and a half now, I've completely cut out sugary drinks and snacks. No processed foods, period. 75% of our last grocery list came out of the produce department. I've switched over to whole grain wheat breads, unsweet tea, whole grain oats for breakfast (with a fruit of my choice mixed in). My daytime snacks changed from snack cakes and nabs to a baggie of baby carrots, organic grapes, an apple and a citrus. Several nights this week I actually wasn't hungry during the late evening when I hunker down. I felt as though I needed to eat something, but for not being hungry I just... didn't. And I slept pretty good.

Some interesting things are already happening, first, I notice I'm getting full faster on smaller portions. I haven't craved anything sugary for about 2 days now, and interestingly I haven't had a headache since this whole thing started.....

And I hate to give false information, especially since I don't exactly trust our scale at the house, but I believe I've lost about 2 pounds already. I was 191 when I started, now I'm 189. My goal is around 145, but I'll settle for the 150's.

Skirts are going to hang differently on me if I pull this off. I won't be able to use my belly anymore to hide the bulge, though on the other hand I should be able to rock some cool high waisted skirts... looking forward to the results!

I'm not trying to be a trendy calorie counter, all hip and what not... No you won't see my jogging with a bunch of dogs in suburbia, with weights on my ankles. I'm just trying to avoid diabetes. Even if I don't hit my goal, I still think I'd be better off on a more wholesome and natural diet. Processed foods, sugar, corn products, and red meat, these are the things I'm trying to avoid.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Moon Shadow diet

Post by moonshadow »

The food:

What I pack in my daily lunch box...

Breakfast...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Moon it is so good to see you back posting. I have been wondering if you were ok and should have messaged to say hello at least. I am sorry for that. I must tell you that once again we share similar beliefs.
I aboslutely deplore "Big Pharma" I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 15. At one point a few years ago I was on 6 pills a day. It go so bad that I had to buy a pill box reminder to keep up with everything. I quit eating red meat and chicken. I occasionally eat fish, but am mostly vegetarian. I have not taken any blood pressure pills since about a year after the diet change. It is not for everyone but I can tell you that I feel better. I recall eating a hamburger and could literally feel my stomach swelling afterwards. I am definitely more regular as well.
The doctor I see is holistic as well. He only gives whole food suppliments that work very well. He does not give any prescription medication.

Anyway, you can do this! Glad to see you posting.

DJ
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Being an organic farmer, I've mostly eaten healthy, but now I'm in suburbia caring for my elderly mom, it's a lot harder and the prices are outrageous.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Good for you, Moon! It's easiest to head the really nasty stuff off before it sets in.

I see you're quick to notice that smaller portions become easier to accept that monstrous ones. I went from a point in my 20s where I could down two large pizzas at one sitting and still struggled to keep a weight of 165 (I kept losing, and in secondary school I weighed about 150 -- at 6 feet-plus tall). Nowadays I tend to eat off the "senior menu", not because of the pricing or the fact that I'm "getting there" but because the portions are more appropriate to my needs. The "standard portions" are virtually all more than I need or want and I don't like wasting food.

But you've definitely got the basics, and calorie/bean-counting isn't one of 'em. Get more active, eat less, and eat better. A good physical tired is a wonderful thing, and boy does it help one sleep. Walk more if you can. Always take the stairs. The joy with walking is that you move through the scenery at a very human pace, not zipping through it the way one does when driving; look around you always, you'll be amazed what you see. Cities are full of amazing things -- hints of time passed, nice architecture (and the hideous), and general dense-pack humanity -- as are rural settings which can sport sights of astounding beauty sometimes in the places you least expect. Some things you'll never see unless you dismount and hoof it. It's good exercise and great excitement for the brain.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Moon and I are doing this together. I’ve lost12 pounds since I last seen my doctor back in March. Just seen her last week. Since my weight loss journey I’ve lost a total of 18.4 pounds.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JennC03 wrote:I’ve lost12 pounds since I last seen my doctor back in March.
Apparently I've found them, as it is, I gained exactly 12 pounds since my last visit! :lol:

Would you like them back? :mrgreen:

Thanks all for the well wishes on the diet. I plan to stick to it, which shouldn't be too hard as I'm finding it surprisingly satisfying. I have learned one important fact about this new diet, that being, it seems as though we will have to cut out our weekly grocery trip and factor in two trips per week instead of one. As it is, when you buy foods and produce with no preservatives, guess what happens....? It starts to spoil in about 3 or 4 days....

Some items can be frozen, and others still I can home preserve (I have a pressure and hot bath canner), but not everything can be frozen, and canning is a time consuming process. I do intend to can as many green beans as I can find. I also want to get my hands on some local peaches and pears to preserve for the winter. I have a pretty big apple tree in the front yard that yields several laundry baskets of fresh home grown apples...

I've got the stuff I need and the know-how.... all I need is the time.... that (time) is the struggle. No matter how rich or poor, smart or dumb one is... the amount of time in a day remains fixed.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's fantastic, Jenn. It's so much easier when everybody is going at it together, Bravo!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

crfriend wrote:That's fantastic, Jenn. It's so much easier when everybody is going at it together, Bravo!

Thank you! Yes doing it together gives you motivation. I did allow myself a treat a small bag of chips today. However it’s not something I eat a lot so it’s okay as a one time thing.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote:
JennC03 wrote:I’ve lost12 pounds since I last seen my doctor back in March.
Apparently I've found them, as it is, I gained exactly 12 pounds since my last visit! :lol:

Would you like them back? :mrgreen:

Thanks all for the well wishes on the diet. I plan to stick to it, which shouldn't be too hard as I'm finding it surprisingly satisfying. I have learned one important fact about this new diet, that being, it seems as though we will have to cut out our weekly grocery trip and factor in two trips per week instead of one. As it is, when you buy foods and produce with no preservatives, guess what happens....? It starts to spoil in about 3 or 4 days....

Some items can be frozen, and others still I can home preserve (I have a pressure and hot bath canner), but not everything can be frozen, and canning is a time consuming process. I do intend to can as many green beans as I can find. I also want to get my hands on some local peaches and pears to preserve for the winter. I have a pretty big apple tree in the front yard that yields several laundry baskets of fresh home grown apples...

I've got the stuff I need and the know-how.... all I need is the time.... that (time) is the struggle. No matter how rich or poor, smart or dumb one is... the amount of time in a day remains fixed.

No they can stay gone! I don’t miss them at all!
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Fantastic Moon & Jenn :D

I'ld like to see 200 lbs in the scale window instead of waving :ciao:
at it as it goes by :oops:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Uncle Al wrote:Fantastic Moon & Jenn :D

I'ld like to see 200 lbs in the scale window instead of waving :ciao:
at it as it goes by :oops:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Thank you Uncle Al
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hi Jenn/Moon, that's great that you are eating a lot healthier. A good place to look for good meals is your diabetic websites as they stress the low carb meals. Probably my favourite meal which may suit you is the fruit and veg salad. Use any fruit of veg that you like - apple, pear, cucumber, celery, cabbage, carrot, peas, gropes, orange segments, radishes all diced and cubed or even in the case of carrots, grated. Nothing strong tasting like garlic or onions as these overpower the palate, or lettuce as that tends to go soggy - leave the lettuce for a side dish with say cottage cheese. Mix it all up in a bowl. You get the idea. For a dressing try low calorie vanilla youghurt of any type that you like with some lemon juice mixed in. It takes a little bit of preparation but it's gorgeous and every mouthful is different. I've started to make up a small ice cream container's worth for eats at work. Filling too. And you know that there's no processed sugar in there.

You'll find that sugar is addictive and you may feel some withdrawal symptoms but stick with it. I've lost a stone in a year which is pretty good for a diabetic as insulin is a hormone that encourages the lay down of fat. I'm basically 13 stone, 182lb and my next goal is 12 stone, 168lb.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hi Dennis!

That sounds really good, and I may just reference this thread next time I'm at the market and give it a go!

Incidentally, I tried a new recipe tonight, something I've never had before. It was most excellent! We've been experimenting a lot with new foods and recipes, all while trying to avoid sugars, processed foods, and red meat when we can. I picked up a box of this "vegetable spaghetti" stuff last week, some squash, zucchini, tomatoes, herbs and spices, garlic to taste, etc etc... I declare this was probably the best "no meat" dinner I've ever had! I plan to make it more often!

The finished product... oh my God, this stuff was to die for!

Also, I made my mid week run for a few grocery items, mostly things to go with my lunches. I've been eating an apple and orange in the morning/afternoon for a snack. With my sandwich I have been packing a little baggie of seedless grapes and baby carrots. This week I plan to make some tuna sandwiches with provolone cheese and celery mixed in....

My "snack" was a little container of blackberries... :D

I may try mixing a few in my oats tomorrow...

This is fun! :lol: :D

-Andrea
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Moon I am sending you the best recipe sites we use. We have tried every recipe on the first one and most on the second one. ALL are excellent. https://ohsheglows.com/

https://detoxinista.com/