What is the temperature drop in your area?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

What is the temperature drop in your area?

Post by Uncle Al »

At 12 Noon today, our temperature at DFW airport was 73*F.
At 10PM the temperature is 25*F. That's a 48 degree drop in
10 hours. That is bloody COLD :!: Wind Chill is 14*F.
Time to stay inside. I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow, so will
stay in and watch some great movies on the Hallmark Channel as
well as some football games in the afternoon :D

Stay warm my friends :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What is the temperature drop in your area?

Post by Sinned »

The temperature here is about 43F and forecast to rise to about 48F, damp but not raining. Typical for this time of year and we have odd mornings where I have to scrape the ice off the car windows. Not even an inkling of snow, thank goodness. The next week is pretty much forecast to be similar with temperatures in the fifties between Christmas and New Year. High pressure and high humidity as well.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

It's currently 3°F with the high today predicted to be 1°F. The forecast is -5°F by 5 p.m. with a low of -13°F. But with the significant wind chill, they say it will feel rather cold.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Being on the far east coast, we haven't quite received that cold front yet, but know it's coming. So my comment is on the temperature rise. Thursday morning, it was 22F when I went outside at 6 am. Today, Sunday morning, it was 70F when I went outside at 7:30 am. So we are on a roller-coaster - albeit a short run coaster - which is not unexpected in the global climate. One thing I can say is that NOAA has so far gotten the long range forecast (three month forecast) for eastern NC correct - that we will have a drier than normal fall and winter. Aside from a couple tropical weather events, this has been mostly on target. While the dry conditions have been a curse to western NC, plagued with unusual and devastating wildfires, the weeks of dry weather following Hurricane Matthew have been a blessing in our recovery from the floods down here in the east. At this juncture we have adequate moisture to avoid serious wildfires down east, but the forecast for colder and drier condistions suggests that risk will increase as we approach spring.

I'm just waiting for the ignorami of the right (science denialists) to weigh in as they did a couple years ago, during the dramatic 2015 Arctic Oscillation (AO), aka "polar vortex." I recall hearing Rush Limbaugh (sound-byte-reprised on another news source, since I don't listen to his broadcasts) state that "It will sure be hard to make anyone believe in climate change after a winter this cold..." (spoken from his broadcast studio "bunker" in balmy Palm Beach FL). Of course the obvious fact that Rush would not dare state is simply that a single winter does not make a factual trend. Climate skeptics know this, as they were uncharacteristically quiet during the record-warm winter of 2016 that followed. Neither event means very much in the long term trends that point to a changing climate and its likely causes. The story is told by the trends of annual averages gleaned from across the planet and analyzed. And even with the harsh winter in the north, 2015 turned out to be a warmer than average year.

Rush would also not say that, as we entered the winter of 2015, among several of the various models of the effects of atmospheric warming was the repeated idea that additional heat could lead to wobbling and sagging of the Jet Stream, hence the pushing, on occasion, of Arctic air southward over land masses. What the models couldn't and cannot yet say with high statistical confidence is the frequency and duration of these events. But even a sixth-grader today has been educated to the fact that increased atmospheric heat generally leads to increased moisture in the atmosphere. Obviously there are modifying factors, but the combination of AO and increased moisture equals the risk of more snowfall in the northwest and northeast, and probably colder than average temperatures in the north central states. Where the moisture originates and the wind-current patterns that deliver it, or fail to deliver it, determines on who gets wet and who stays dry. This is being reflected in our southwestern states now, and may continue in the rest of the south over the 2016-2017 time frame.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Why isn't it possible for anyone on the left to make a comment or express an opinion with out resulting to name calling. Maybe there are some of us who believe what the "ignorami' on the right are saying. How come you didn't quote your leader Al Gore who complains about pollution while flying around on his private jet.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

oldsalt1 wrote:Why isn't it possible for anyone on the left to make a comment or express an opinion with out resulting to name calling. Maybe there are some of us who believe what the "ignorami' on the right are saying. How come you didn't quote your leader Al Gore who complains about pollution while flying around on his private jet.
Maybe climate change is an unconvenient truth for a lot of people and they try to ignore it. So any argument against it is welcome ammunition. Somebody should write a book about it to educate those people. The book of the Club of Rome from the early 70s was not enough.

As a matter of priciple, I try to be as "green" as posible. I walk and bike when possible but it is not really efficient to do your weekly shopping for a four person household other than by car.
But there is still a world to win if the USA is trying to follow the example of Europe in the use of energy. It is more than double the the amount per capita of Europe and almost 5 times the world average per capita.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Beachlion wrote: Maybe climate change is an unconvenient truth for a lot of people and they try to ignore it. So any argument against it is welcome ammunition. Somebody should write a book about it to educate those people. The book of the Club of Rome from the early 70s was not enough.
I am sorry I do not understand you comment . Are you saying that the people who don't believe in climate change are stupid and need to be educated.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Temperature drop happens here too, but on this temperate island it never amounts to very much. Extremes as described by Jim are worse than the North Pole!

Where do you hang out then, Jim?

We slipped at 08.00 hours in our rowing eight on Saturday, with the ambient temp. perhaps minus 1 deg. Centipede. At 9.30 AM at the end of the outing it was still freezing and I still had numb fingers despite the violent exercise (twice I caught my heart rate monitor at 161). Fortunately we had no wind, with its attendant chill factor.

This morning, galley slavery again at 08.00 and our temp. had improved to 6-8 deg. C. That made a great difference to our comfort on the water and there were no numb fingers. In the afternoons just now it struggles into double figures, perhaps 11deg. C.

In general, what goes for Denis in York applies here, with perhaps a degree or two added.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

oldsalt1 wrote:[
Maybe climate change is an unconvenient truth for a lot of people and they try to ignore it. So any argument against it is welcome ammunition. Somebody should write a book about it to educate those people. The book of the Club of Rome from the early 70s was not enough.

I am sorry I do not understand you comment . Are you saying that the people who don't believe in climate change are stupid and need to be educated.
I'm not saying that they are stupid but they should not believe everything big oil and their puppets are telling them. Something tells me that big oil is slightly biased in this case.
The global weather statistics should be enough to wake up.
How long did it take to let people know smoking was dangerous? Now it is a widely accepted fact but the tabacco industry was fighting it for decennia.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I'll leave this topic with one final comment for every one who believes all that they are being fed about global warming give me a call I know where you can get a great deal on a bridge.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

beachlion, not everyone believes the statistics that some scientists churn out to prove their theories. Scientists can be political too and have to apply for grants to further their research and grants to prove global warming are a hell of a lot easier to get than the obverse. I am more concerned about the effects of the sun and our weakening magnetic field than any supposed buildup of co2 as even slight changes in sunspot and solar emissions can be more devastating to our climate. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be smarter in our energy generation, yes we should but there are a whole lot of other factors that affect climate and weather than global warming which has shown a temporary lull these past few years. And no, we aren't stupid, just sceptical and widely read. PLEASE DON'T PREACH GLOBAL WARMING. IT IS STILL ONLY A THEORY STILL TO BE PROVED.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Just a quick note to mention that "global warming" is only one by-product of "climate change", and that change is largely cyclical on an epochal scale. Recall that the planet is in it's own perfectly natural process of clawing out of the last ice-age at the moment, and that these things take time.

The planet cycles on its own; we have this from deep-core ice samples and other geology that show this -- and it's irrefutable. The question now becomes, "How much of a difference are humans making?" -- and this is where it starts to get muddy.

I am not entirely convinced that human activity is actually producing much of a delta in rate; however, I also fully understand that if we stand around and do nothing about it there's an almost certain chance that humankind is going to come out on the losing end of it. Even if we actually try to do something about it (unlikely, given the vested interests of the deniers) there's a decent chance that we'll still come out on the losing end of it -- but to not make an attempt is foolish in the extreme.

Ultimately, recall that natural laws have no pity and that extinction is the rule not the exception. Those who will profit by inaction will die just as certainly as those who try to take action; that's the way it works. The question is whether looks at long-term ends or this quarter's profits. The human species is only a dust-mote in the overall life-cycle of the planet.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

If you're not open to the arguments for climate change, then you really are a ******* idiot. The scientific evidence is so overwhelming, you have to be a drooling cretin not to give some cognisance to the theories. They are theories - not fact yet - but tell me what's wrong with trying to reduce carbon emissions, tidying up the world, lessening our impact on Earth. Really? The USA has appalling emissions - and along with China - needs to address this swiftly. Yet many blithely ignore the scientific evidence, instead pursuing their selfish agendas. USA - pay $8 a gallon, get over it, then realise the bevefits to your society as the smog lifts over so many cities. Buy smaller and lighter cars. Your life won't change.

Change, or be forced to change. You will suffer if you do not.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The 'climate change' we don't like here In Ireland has been the increased frequency and severity of storms, both in Winter & Summer, also the flooding due to more intense rainfall.
What we would welcome here would be the 'Global warming' bit. Year round it's too blxxdy cold here and a warm reliable Summer would be jut the ticket.

Speculating on just who or what is responsible, I leave to the 'experts'. Fact is, for my aquatic activities, rowing and sailing, we enjoy magical conditions here 95% of the time, so we're not complaining. Meanwhile, we dump all our atmospheric pollution on Wales, Derbyshire , York and Clydeside and they can't reciprocate. We've got that one sussed! :cheese:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

{sigh}

[mod hat on]

Well, it looks like we've got yet another behaviour problem on our hands, and for once it's not in the realms of either politics or religion. Oh joy.

I'll ask, once, for the heated rhetoric to quiet down and for the most ardent types to re-analyse their stances on matters. If we can't be civil on this then I'll close down the thread and subject future commentary on the matter to close scrutiny.

If there is one thing that I prize and cherish about this little corner of "cyberspace" it's that we can usually be civil, cool-headed, and understanding. Name-calling is none of the above.

[mod hat off]

scratch, scratch, scratch... That thing hasn't gotten any less itchy since the day it was issued to me. (I've tried on a couple of occasions to trim a bit of the material off for a proper chemical analysis, but the blasted thing has given me a Tazer-level blast every time I've tried.) I'm tempted to ship it back to the issuer and walk away.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!