What's a smart wrapper?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What's a smart wrapper?

Post by Big and Bashful »

moonshadow wrote:Last week we got a work order on a "smart wrapper" that wasn't working.

A colleague emails me "what's a smart wrapper?"

My official response?

"One that stays in school and off drugs." :lol:

This is why I'll never make it in corporate America! :D

BTW: The actual correct answer is this.
I guess there is supposed to be an attached picture, looking at the responses, I don't see one.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Big and Bashful wrote:
I guess there is supposed to be an attached picture, looking at the responses, I don't see one.
Last edited by denimini on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That trompe l'oueil image of the bike on the side of the Smart Car is priceless!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

crfriend wrote:That trompe l'oueil image of the bike on the side of the Smart Car is priceless!
Ahh I didn't think anyone would appreciate - I will put it back .......... it is clever
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

hoborob wrote:Moon that's only because the smart wrapper did do it's job right the first time........... :wall: :woops: :shadow:
I couldn't help but get a chuckle out of that...

Well played...! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

On the topic of keeping waste out of landfills, it seems I've seen biodegradable "plastics" (if that's what they're technically called), couple that with a biodegradable tray and it seems one could compost the whole thing. But I really don't know, I'm somewhat out of my field of expertise there.

On a different note, now that I live "in the woods", and no longer on a pristine RV park that has to maintain a certain yuppie "visual appeal", perhaps I can start composting again. To put it politely.... blight doesn't appear to be a big deal here in this neighborhood. :wink:

Met another neighbor yesterday... all's I can say is, these people seem like they could be a lot of fun. :lol: One guy I'm already wanting to get down here next time I have a fire, some wine, and beer.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

moonshadow wrote:On the topic of keeping waste out of landfills, it seems I've seen biodegradable "plastics" (if that's what they're technically called), couple that with a biodegradable tray and it seems one could compost the whole thing. But I really don't know, I'm somewhat out of my field of expertise there.
We try to buy food in biodegradable packaging wherever possible and we dispose of the wrappings in our garden compost heap, along with vegetable and garden waste. The card and paper packaging degrade fairly rapidly, as you might expect. The biodegradable plastics take longer - a year or thereabouts, but they do break down and turn into useable compost. It helps to use scissors to shred the plastic coarsely first of all.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

denimini wrote:
crfriend wrote:That trompe l'oueil image of the bike on the side of the Smart Car is priceless!
Ahh I didn't think anyone would appreciate - I will put it back .......... it is clever
Excellent!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Interesting. Smart Car or 1200 cc Harley...each gets about the same fuel mileage as a Prius.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

The Prius's problem is that its engine is petrol and after the electricity runs out it's not very economical on long runs.

A mathematician friend has one, also a diesel Toyota Avensis, which he will always use for long journeys, as it is considerably more economical than his Prius.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Kirbstone wrote:The Prius's problem is that its engine is petrol and after the electricity runs out it's not very economical on long runs.
Mine does 45 to 50+ mpg on long runs. The "petrol" engine keeps charging the battery and most of the time it runs jointly powered by gas & electric. The computer keeps the gas engine running at a more efficient rate than the always varying rate of a plain internal combustion engine. They could have done better if they didn't have to be so over-powered to compete in today's market.

In the '80s, I used to have a diesel VW Golf which did a little better mileage. Are there any hybrid diesels? I noticed VW got their diesels certified as clean by cheating.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Kirbstone wrote:The Prius's problem is that its engine is petrol and after the electricity runs out it's not very economical on long runs.

A mathematician friend has one, also a diesel Toyota Avensis, which he will always use for long journeys, as it is considerably more economical than his Prius.

Tom
That's not my experience at all, Tom, and we have owned two of the cars. They are fantastic, IMO. The electric operation mode rarely even kicks in on the highway, but that makes no difference. I just drove one to TX and back, a round trip of a little over 3000 miles. The fuel mileage running on engine alone, even running at speeds approaching 80 mph on most of the interstate highways, rarely dipped below 44 mpg. I have driven several times a round trip of 450 miles or so to Charlotte and back in our old '08 Prius, on rural highways averaging 55 to 60 mph, and managed 51 mpg. The 2015 Prius is slightly bigger and won't do too much better than 49. The technology in the Prius responds to changing road conditions and always has optimal fuel efficiency as the target. And there is a full power mode when rapid acceleration is needed, such as entering swift traffic on a short ramp with an uphill grade. Until all-electric Tesla's reach real consumer economics, and there becomes an abundance of charging stations, the Prius is still the best and most practical thing out there.

The Smart Car has never been as efficient as a Prius. Aside from being able to park them two to a space, I see no point in one. As well, it's the kind of car that should come with the funeral wreath already attached, at least for US highway conditions. They are pretty much novelty vehicles here, totally impractical for our conditions.

I'm sure diesels are more efficient and comfortable than they once were, and may have a place in the US if the emissions issues are ever addressed in a way that does not diminish power and economy. At this juncture, however, diesel performance in cars which actually comply with emission standards...ie not VWs...is no better than gasoline performance, and, in many parts of the US, diesel fuel is slightly more expensive. I do know that for Ford 3/4 ton and one-ton pickups, highway mileage is improved considerably above the gasoline versions, but they come with a $3000+ addition to the purchase price as well. And the Ford diesel engines do not have any longer life expectancy than their gasoline engines.

I once drove a diesel Peugeot 504 from Buenos Aires to the Patagonia region of Argentina, on the Andean Cordillera. NEVER AGAIN! What a horrible machine it was; slow and inefficient.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
hoborob
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hoborob »

Big and Bashful wrote:
denimini wrote:
Excellent!

I get it now......A wrap for a Smart Car :lol: :mrgreen:
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

dillon wrote: Until all-electric Tesla's reach real consumer economics, and there becomes an abundance of charging stations, the Prius is still the best and most practical thing out there.
There are other electric cars from manufacturers other than Tesla Motors, such as the Hyundai Ioniq Electric and BYD e6, though the lack of charging stations would still be a problem. There are electric buses such as the Solaris Urbino Electric as well.
らき☆
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

dillon wrote:The Smart Car has never been as efficient as a Prius. Aside from being able to park them two to a space, I see no point in one. As well, it's the kind of car that should come with the funeral wreath already attached, at least for US highway conditions.
I don't know if you've seen this clip, but it seems that Smart cars are a fair bit tougher than you might expect.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce