Shavers

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Dinoco

Shavers

Post by Dinoco »

Just curious, what do you guys use to shave your faces, those of you who do? I've been using a Norelco electric shaver since I was a teenager, the type with the three circular razor heads, and I must say, it leaves a lot to be desired, particularly on my neck. I can spend forever running the darn thing over my skin and there will still be stray hairs everywhere. So I've been thinking a lot lately that there must be a better way. I've never tried a safety razor but maybe that's the solution...I wouldn't know. So again, what do you guys use?
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Shavers

Post by Kilted Musician »

Hi Dinoco,

I've got a Norelco rotary that I've had for quite a few years. My problem with that, is that It takes so long to get a decent shave, even after replacing the cutters and today I've had enough of that. So, a little while ago I went out and bought another razor, a Remington with a foil screen. Over the years and using a number of both types, I've come to the conclusion that, at least for me, the foil screen type gives a closer shave and doesn't take as long to get it. Hope this helps!

--Rick
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I started with Philips when they just switched from one to two rotary cutters. Later I switched to Braun, with a foil. Those versions in the 70s where the best. But with time they wore down and ripped and that could be painful. For years I was alternating between Braun and Philips (Norelco). When my 3-head Philips from Holland was too dull, I switched to Braun, bought at Sears and I have replaced the cutter heads every three month. Maybe next time I will buy a Remington because the battery of the Braun is not keeping its charge that long.
I have a problem with my veins (HHT syndrom) and my capillaries are close to my skin in places. If I use a safety razor blade, it will be a bloody mess. So only electric razors for me.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I've got an old triple-head Norelco that my ex- bought for me years and years ago. It doesn't see any mileage on my face, but has done yeoman's service on my legs for all that time.

My ex- in later years continually chided me about "that expensive electric razor I bought for you and which you never use", but never seemed to grasp that I'd replaced the (non-replaceable) NiCad batteries in the thing twice and refused to listen to my protestations about its non-use. I'll put that down to emotional abuse. It's still in service, although the batteries need replacing again 'cause they won't hold a decent charge.

For legs, if I eventually need something new, I'll probably go for an epilator of some sort. For facial use, I think I'll stay bearded. It's easier -- and I like the salt-and-pepper look. It's not like I'm "on the market".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

The Philips (Norelco) rotary heads can appear to have worn out when there is actually nothing wrong with them apart from a single long hair wrapped around the central bearing pin. It produces slight clearance between the rotating cutter and the circular foil, changing the painless shearing action into a painful tugging one which leaves a lot of uncut hairs .

Avoid acidentally cutting into any stray head hairs and regularly dismantle the cutters and clean them (dismantle and reassemble each one separately so that the matched pairs of cutters and foils stay together).
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I've never had much success with electric, though I do have a battery driven Braun for occasional trimming. I have used safety razors, and picking the right blades to suit your hair/skin combination, you can get an excellent result without bleeding, though it takes time, practice, and not rushing yourself.

Unfortunately, I just don't often have the luxury of time, so I've gone back to multiblade disposables. I tend to use budget end triples for face and head, and usually a woman's 3 or 4 blade cartridge for legs and body. Slim triples are sometimes available for a very good price, I don't find any difference between mens and womens, except for colour, I just buy what I find on sale. I consider it a good deal if I can get them for 50 cents each. The cartridge head ones are either Schick Quarto, or Gillette Venus, again whichever is on sale as I have both styles of handles. For those I am happy if I can get it close to a dollar each. One thing that is not mentioned very much when talking about wet shaving is the lubricant, aerosol cans are overpriced and not very good, get a brush and use a cream, in a tube or jar. Nivea for men does one that is widely available, it used to be a German product, and is now not as good, but still acceptable. Proraso is much better, but something like 3 times the price.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I've always found that safety razors shave me much closer than my electrics.

I currently use the Gillette Fusion blades with the Proglide shaving cream. Somehow it seems like I get a better shave with the Gillette shaving cream. For sure it does a good job of moisturizing my skin. Yes the combination is pricey, but like I said it's a very close, smooth shave. When the blades start to pull on my face or nick me, I replace them and use the used blades on my legs (I have 2 handles) until it begins slicing my legs. Then I replace the blade with another used blade.

Because I don't feel a 5 o'clock shadow goes with my off-hours outfits, I'll often shave twice a day without any discomfort and smooth-looking skin.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I have had great luck using the VIBRATING model of the Gillette Fusion 5 blade razor.
A small AAA battery in the handle offers a slight degree of vibration as the blades are
drawn over the skin sort of like side slicing the hair and stopping the tugging and pulling.

And of course wetting the beard with hot hot water and a jell or cream to ease the blades
passage over the potential bleeding ground.
Avoid slicing against the grain and going over the same spot multiple times.
Make sure the angle of holding the razor is not extreme missing contact across the entire
shaving area.

I also have the 3 blade vibrating model which I use as the finishing touch for those hard
to reach spots (3 blades fit into spaces the 5 blade model has problems).
Keep your shaving gear spotless and clean while not in use - even if the blades are supposed
to be somewhat self cleaning rinsing in hot hot water and using an old toothbrush to get
out the clippings in hidden places.

Closing anyone had the professional barber shave with the straight razor - WOW - ?
The best thing next to the laser although the electrolysis is great also but awful time consuming !

"So what do you mean take it OFF - TAKE IT ALL OFF"
Wait a moment what is this amputate at the neck procedure !
Well that should be enough to raise the hair on your back and everywhere else !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

I've used a Norelco rotary from day one. I've probably owned 5 or 6 of them in those 50 years. They seem to last forever. I've also found that it isn't necessary to buy new heads and cutters. I did it once and didn't find any difference. My current razor is probably 15+ years old and going strong. I also use it on my head and arms. On my legs I use an epilator and then a manual blade in the shower when I need to be extra smooth for panty hose wearing with skirts.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I started to shave using a cut throat razor that was handed down to me from my grand father. I received all of the accessories that went with it. The strop, the fine sharpening stone the blade guide as well as the cup and brush. Then I went into the service and had to leave it at home and started to use a safety razor. After I got out I looked for my cut throat and found my mother had packed it off the the Salvation Army thrift store along with much of my clothes and stuff. I have used an electric razor on and off for years now along with those multi blade razors. I can not use foil razors as they end up cutting me up pretty bad. I use the Norelco three head razors and clean them regularly. They do a fair job except under my chin so when the hair gets too long there I use the multi blade razor. I also use the electric on my legs to keep it mowed down between blade shaves. :alien:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:When the blades start to pull on my face or nick me, I replace them and use the used blades on my legs (I have 2 handles) until it begins slicing my legs.
Everyone is different I suppose, if a razor is giving me issues on my face, I find it's worse on the legs. Agree that I've never found an electric that can give as close as a shave as wet shaving. If they get even close, I find they irritate too much as well.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I just use cheap 3-blade razors ( 5 for a quid ) and find that each lasts me for about 2 months on shaving face and underarms every third day. If I tried to shave every day then my skin wouldn't take it. I use shaving oil which comes in a very small bottle of about 10ml and I only use 2 drops for my face ( underarms I dry-shave ). I have used Philips 3 rotary head electrics and foil head electrics but I found that I couldn't get a close enough shave with them. Also the foils would split after so long or if you pressed too hard. Beard is not really noticeable until the 3rd day and MOH is fine with this so having found something that works for me I am sticking with it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I use the Gillette QUATTRO razors and blades.

Men's for the face and neck.
Women's for below the neck.

Also use the Norelco Body Groom for quick touch-ups.

Shaved legs since 2007 when my doc put me in compression hose. They feel better, look better and stay up better when clean-shaven.

From there I gradually moved towards shaving everything: 1) didn't stay sweaty nearly as long, 2) BO was much less of a problem, and 3) when a prescription had a nefarious side-effect - a full-blown yeast infection - eliminating all but facial hair and what remains on the head seemed mandated, and helped. And my doc and I now know I have a problem with a particular class of drugs.

With age, hair has thinned, whitened and slowed in rate of growth. 10 years ago I used the blades 2x a week in the shower, then lathering up and washing off with an exfoliating loofah, rinsing off and then touching up until the next shower session with the electric trimmers I had at the time. Now it's the razors 1x a week, plus touch-up.

Since the beard, about a year and a half ago, I only shave the neck up to the lower jaw. Though I've started considering going to a goatee. :)
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

I have been using Gillette Mach3 razors for years.For between I use the Seiko Cleancut and excellent little razor. The clean-cut get set almost as close as a blade. I'm on my second one happened finally wore out one that I had used for over 10 years. The clean-cut can be bought on Amazon. Funny I think defined all my things there.
This was not a commercial for Amazon I repeat this was not a commercial for Amazon. LOL!
Take care
Bill and sir Brinkley the exuberant who never need to shave!:b
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS