Trumps media

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Trumps media

Post by r.m.anderson »

Give it 2 years and we will see if you are better off than before -
If not then Mr. President (elect) Trump will have less of a Congress to work with -
Keep up the same agenda and ignore what happened half way thru and
then I will ask again "Are you better off now ?"
If his legacy endures well maybe I misjudged but time will tell.
While he did not win the Total Popular Vote and I don't have much regard for the Electoral College
it is the system we have as our government now until it is changed (rigged - snickers) !
The Republicans should realize that it is time to produce some meaningful government and not
dilly dally around refilling the so called "SWAMP" with fresh bait.
The popular vote folks will be watching --------- !
The Democrats are not without fault.
They had their chance and squandered it and did not represent enough of some of all of the people in the right places !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

r.m.anderson wrote:Give it 2 years and we will see if you are better off than before -
If not then Mr. President (elect) Trump will have less of a Congress to work with
The composition of the Congress will not change until the people take it into their hands to initiate Constitutional reform to mandate fair districts. Both parties have abused this for a long time, but advanced statistics and digitally mapped demographics have now rendered gerrymandered districts unassailable; and the minority party representatives don't push for reform because they personally prosper from being safe in "sacrifice districts."
r.m.anderson wrote:While he did not win the Total Popular Vote and I don't have much regard for the Electoral College
it is the system we have as our government now until it is changed (rigged - snickers) !
To consider just how skewed the EC is, if you put California's EC representation on the same basis with Wyoming, CA would have 200 EC votes, and not 55. One man, one vote? Not hardly.
r.m.anderson wrote:The Republicans should realize that it is time to produce some meaningful government and not
dilly dally around refilling the so called "SWAMP" with fresh bait.
The popular vote folks will be watching --------- !
That's a quaint fantasy, RM...I suggest you steel yourself for immense disappointment, both in your man and in any hope for American democracy.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Both our countries have different problems - you with the uncertainty of the next president and we with Brexit which is very much a to and fro argument. Leaks of information and misinformation seem to be what are causing the problems now.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

The one bright spot in politics is that NC finally, albeit by a razor-thin margin, scraped Republican Governor Pat McCrory off the sole of our collective boot, but not until he whined and cried foul about phony claims of voter fraud. But as votes were tediously recounted, his margin of loss to Democrat Roy Cooper continued growing broader, so he finally quit before his disgrace grew worse. So, given the fact that Cooper more than doubled his 5000 vote margin in the recount, if there was any vote fraud, it appears to be on the part of the Republican appointed county election board chairpersons. McCrory is the first Governor in NC (since we ammended the State Constitution about 37 years ago to allow two-term succession) to lose reelection. He tried hard to ride Trump's coattails, but to no avail. He was not the only GOP incumbent to lose a statewide office in 2016, however, as Democrat Mike Morgan unseated a conservative Republican in the (supposedly non-partisan) NC Supreme Court race to now shift the balance of the Court toward the left.

McCrory (aka Governor Coal-ash) had more issues than just the HB2 "bathroom bill" dragging him down. He also did a few dirty tricks in having the Department of Natural Resources disregard studies on the risks of coal ash pollution after a huge reservoir of ash collapsed and contaminated the Dan River, with residues lying on the river bottom for perhaps decades or centuries to come. He also signed off on budget cuts to public schools and supported "white-flight vouchers" and then tried to use some fuzzy math to claim NC was spending more on schools than ever, except the data showed that per-pupil funding fell significantly, and the so-called "Christian Schools" were essentially getting a welfare check from the state.

But HB2 ("hate-bill 2") was the last nail in his coffin. It was a knee-jerk reactionary bill passed with less than 6 hours of debate to counter Charlotte's trans-gender protection ordinance. McCrory had the opportunity and, I would argue, the responsibility to be the "moderating adult" in that situation, since the heavily gerrymandered GOP legislature had no incentive to do anything but take the most extreme position. Their seats were not at risk, but McCrory's was, and he muffed his decision on that atrocious piece of nonsense. No losing politician in NC history has deserved his defeat more than McCrory, IMHO. He was too timid to confront the lunatic fringe of his own party, and has been perhaps the most ineffectual Governor the state has ever had.

If I was an optimist, which I am not, I'd say the GOP had maybe learned something from the HB2 fiasco, but I doubt it. What they have accomplished with the districts they drew is to shift political debate from a right vs left debate to a right vs lunatic-right debate...and the lunatics won. They have to realize that moderation can no longer exist. GOP politics in NC has become only a race to assume the most absurd possible position on every issue, or risk defeat in the primaries. Clearly, gerrymandering has been horrible for the state, but hasn't been that good for the GOP either, as they look like the most myopic and hateful stump-water hicks imaginable now.
Last edited by dillon on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Dillon, I wish you would stop pussy-footing around and gives us your full-blooded opinions on North Carolina politics! :wink: :wink:
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Dillon, I wish you would stop pussy-footing around and gives us your full-blooded opinions on North Carolina politics! :wink: :wink:
I posted this link to coverage of a right-wing fake news story and it's ugly consequences in a previous post:

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/27/503489400 ... rafficking

Of course the conservative nut-jobs out there had to come out of their burrows to do something truly ghastly. One of them entered the Comet Ping Pong pizzeria with an AR-15 and started shooting. Naturally, the paranoiac far-right "Christian" conspiracy-theorist just HAD to be from North Carolina. ~sighs and rolls eyes~ :roll: :x How stupid/insane are all these disciples of the far right, anyway? We need easier laws for "involuntary commitment..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/loc ... ea140db876
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:We need easier laws for "involuntary commitment..."
Beware what you wish for. It's already way too easy for entirely law-abiding citizens to get disappeared. Witness my travails from 2015.
The guy in question is lucky to be alive -- and for all we may know isn't now.

Be very careful of what you wish for. Note that we're only seeing the opening rumblings here. It's going to get a whole lot worse.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Whilst the current power situation in the USA entirely parallels Russia's -- and has for some years, I suspect "ours" is going to be much darker at a domestic civil level than the USSR's save for the years of Stalin's purges.

Thanks for the listen. 'Tis good and rousing music.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Trumps Blacklist

Post by dillon »

Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

When I see articles like this last one, I get chills up my spine. Then I remember we're all suffering from the Chinese Curse; we definitely live in interesting times.

I think he'll get frustrated and quit within 2 years. Or his base will realize they've been conned, need to be more careful next time of what they wish for and give him the boot!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:When I see articles like this last one, I get chills up my spine.
This is precisely the sort of fallout from the "decision" that scares me. The current crop are already slathering over the notion of repealing most of the regulations that keep the place on an even keel, and by the time the first hundred days are over -- if they can live up to their rhetoric -- we'll be back in the pre-Theodore Roosevelt era when it comes to sanity in regulation. We're about in 1929 now and the clock is going to get turned back quite a bit more unless some sanity gets injected into Congress.
I think he'll get frustrated and quit within 2 years. Or his base will realize they've been conned, need to be more careful next time of what they wish for and give him the boot!
One can hope, but that'll leave us with Pence. I'm not sure Trump has a "base" really, and if he does in all likelihood they're not going to be smart enough to know what a con is, much less than that they've been had; they'll just get mad and double-down on the next buffoon who doesn't look like a "conventional politician". My suspicion is that Trump got elected on a protest vote -- which are always a bad idea -- and this is the second one I've witnessed in my short lifetime.

Our national hangover has yet to begin, although we're starting to glimpse what the symptoms will be like. That's not a light at the end of the tunnel, folks; it's the headlight of a runaway train.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

So what is that our new national anthem under elect presidente Trump ?
It's three times longer than our old one but has far less somber high notes !
But I foresee a lot of kneeling upon hearing it !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I don't think anything at all, so far as "draining the swamp" goes, will happen under Trump. It was obvious BS to anyone who looks at his past, anyway. All that will change in that regard is the names of the hogs with their snouts in the feed trough.

It's all the collateral damage that he will likely do, just out of his petty vindictiveness and pathological vanity, that will damage society and the planet as a whole.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

In Europe we have all our Trumps. In England, The Netherlands (both blond too). Belgium, France, Greece or Italy. In all countries we have a populistic person. People who can say what the population wanna hear. We don't believe in the democracy anymore. What comes next to a democratic regime? I don't know. Will it be better? .... Much of the votes are protestic votes.