Trumps media

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Trumps media

Post by dillon »

People believe what they want to believe these days and it seems reality no longer matters. They can find a source somewhere to tell them whatever they want to hear, and truth be damned. At least this guy can make a buck off the saps. As the old saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute and two to "take" him...

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechcons ... -operation
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Trumps media

Post by crfriend »

The above comment by Dillon points up precisely one of the reasons why satire no longer really has a place in the modern world. I am an avowed sceptic, and tend to take most things with a grain or two (frequently more) of salt. How much of what we're fed can we actually believe (at least credulously)? The above is a good job of reporting by NPR (if it's real), and I especially like the viewpoint of the chap interviewed. My main curiosity is whether anybody else finds this sort of thing as hilarious as I do.

Whither critical thought? On both "sides"? Can we not use our brains any longer?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The fake news business in the NPR story is owned and operated by a registered Democrat. It did not have any thing to do with Trump.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Baiting of the rabid is an equal-opportunity affair. Note that it goes on on both "sides".

Approach your news-feed with scepticism or scorn. Select several feeds to track; believe none as gospel; make the selection across a broad spectrum; and average the results. Perhaps somewhere in the resulting morass will be something that more or less resembles fact. Expect the signal to be very weak amid the noise.

Use your mind and employ critical thought -- before it becomes illegal to do so.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I follow the Dutch news. The Netherlands are so small that they have to cover a lot of foreign countries. And I still know the sources that are quite neutral. As a seafaering nation through the centuries, the Dutch were always very interested in what was happening elsewhere.
When I see the news on TV or in newspapers in the USA, I have to filter.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Fred in Skirts wrote:The fake news business in the NPR story is owned and operated by a registered Democrat. It did not have any thing to do with Trump.
If you read it carefully, you would have noted which end of the political spectrum treats fake news as gospel, retweeting it and posting it on Facebook. That makes it Trumps style of media, in my humble opinion. Please note that the purveyor tried liberally tilted fake news, but the liberals wouldn't "take the bait."

Maybe, as a conservative, you could explain to the rest of us why Trump believers are so quick to latch onto phony news and so reluctant to check the facts or the source? I think you all have bought into Trumps conspiracy delusions, or perhaps you all just want so badly for the material NOT to turn out to be BS that you willingly abandon all traditional standards? Or do you also trust the Weekly World News and National Enquirer? So what is the truth about Lady Gaga's space alien babies?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

dillon wrote:So what is the truth about Lady Gaga's space alien babies?
Since I have never (to my recollection) have ever met nor seen a space alien I could not say. :alien:

How ever why would you think Lady Gaga would lie about it? :twisted: After all it is her body she speaks of. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

beachlion wrote:I follow the Dutch news. The Netherlands are so small that they have to cover a lot of foreign countries. And I still know the sources that are quite neutral. As a seafaering nation through the centuries, the Dutch were always very interested in what was happening elsewhere.
When I see the news on TV or in newspapers in the USA, I have to filter.
Sorry to say so, but in my opinion the Dutch media are as bias as the US media. indeed they cover more than just the US, but the info is mostly handled by the center left journalists. The school for Journalist is, as you might know, left oriënted.
I do think that both the French and UK media oe a better job of covering whats happening in the rest of the world. Also the german newspaper die welt - also in English available - does a better job of broad coverage.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

dillon wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:The fake news business in the NPR story is owned and operated by a registered Democrat. It did not have any thing to do with Trump.
If you read it carefully, you would have noted which end of the political spectrum treats fake news as gospel, retweeting it and posting it on Facebook. That makes it Trumps style of media, in my humble opinion. Please note that the purveyor tried liberally tilted fake news, but the liberals wouldn't "take the bait."
I have seen liberally-biased news regarding Noynoy Aquino and Rodrigo Duterte, and there is a fairly large number of people who take the bait in both cases.
らき☆
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I generally "share" whatever strikes my fancy. Being an acknowledged computer geek and not a reporter you takes your chances and makes your own opinion. I generally comment "Hmmm...." or "Interesting...." or <raised right eyebrow>.....

I do participate in a moderated forum where "glittering generalities" and misquotes and click-bait just might get you "called" by another participant. In which case you put on your research hat and substantiate the information or say it appears to be false or whatever - AND THAT IS THE ONLY THING YOU WILL POST ON THAT FORUM until you have answered the "call" satisfactorily. It is an outstanding forum. But I don't see FB going down that road anytime soon.

One of the better moderators is known as "Ms. V" where the V affectionately stands for "Velociraptor." :shock:
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Judah14 wrote:
dillon wrote:
I have seen liberally-biased news regarding Noynoy Aquino and Rodrigo Duterte, and there is a fairly large number of people who take the bait in both cases.
Bias is one thing, but outright fake news is quite another. If the facts given are correct, then an informed reader possessing a sense of reality can always glean the facts from even a slanted presentation. But when the facts are so obviously fabricated, and the re-posters and re-tweeters never bother to check their veracity, one has to ask if those people actually care, or if they are just as happy to pass along a lie as they should be to speak the truth. In a way, I actually hope that the deliberate proliferation of lies is, in fact, the case, because I could handle my disappointment in a lack of principle in my fellow citizens more easily than I could accept it being the fault of ignorance and naivete. It would really make me mourn for the country to think that people who are casting votes are really too stupid to discern reputable and trustworthy news sources. The majority of "news" sites on the net seem now to be simple propaganda organizations, where, even if correct facts are given, the spin put on them is clearly a perversion of reality. But a reader seeking objectivity should be able to easily recognize a phony news site, or a propaganda site from one giving factual information. The NPR series on the fake news phenomenon has been enlightening, but also deeply disturbing. How stupid, how willfully gullible, are people who would actually believe a story like this one, described here in the NPR report:

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/27/503489400 ... rafficking

And more of the NPR series; warning, the last link will leave you very depressed, unless, of course, you support the use of fabricated propaganda for your own unprincipled political beliefs:

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/25/503361296 ... g-election

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... -from-real
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

The last is probably the most disturbing. If the next generation can't tell fake from real news, this country is really in trouble!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:The last [story about the inability of modern-age individuals to discern content is] probably the most disturbing. If the next generation can't tell fake from real news, this country is really in trouble!
It's been in trouble for a while. If personal experience is of any relevance the public schools in the USA haven't been particularly good at training children to actually think for decades, and that trend accelerated dramatically in the early 2000s when schools essentially retooled to produce children who can pass tests but don't actually know how to process the subject matter in a critical way. The outcome, as pointed up in the Stanford study, is, of course, entirely predictable.

Deprive the electorate of the ability to think critically and apply thought to things to discern what a future might look like -- and ask the hard questions that need asking -- and the crooked can run rampant. And have.

What's especially terrifying is that college-age individuals showed the trait as well. I'm not so worried about middle-school aged kids -- they're still supposed to be learning -- but by the time one gets out of secondary school one really ought to be able to process information in a critical way and be able to sort wheat from chaff. Clearly the system has failed. The question is whether it was by accident or by design -- wilful act or a failure to be mindful of the law of unintended consequences.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Trump is apparently choosing Twitter over a responsible press secretary, so it is not surprising that he once more lied about his contact with the President of Taiwan. You people elected an idiot.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:You people elected an idiot.
[Mod hat on]

Careful there. That comment might be considered somewhat OK if it was coming in from outside the US borders, but as it's arriving from inside it could well be seen as inciting. Whether we happen to agree with the way the election went, we must at least respect the "will of the people". Making cracks of, "you people" can only cause much-unneeded friction.

[Mod hat off]

I'm not pleased with how thing thing went, either, but then again I was quite honest about expressing the opinion that no matter how it went I wasn't going to be happy with it. I went to bed on Tuesday evening knowing I was going to be torqued off come Wednesday morning; however, I do recognise that I'm a bit of an edge-case.

Please, in the name of civility, no name-calling. We, as a society, have enough problems already.