Trump vs Clinton vs The Rest

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Trump vs Clinton vs The Rest

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

At risk of straying irretrievably into the realms of topic verboten, I would like to hear about the policies and strengths of the candidates. The terms of this thread are strictly about what your chosen candidate proposes. It is not about what the other candidate did or did not do; so nothing about her "this" and his "that", etc, etc.

Therefore, no questioning the integrity of the opponent; you may merely explain what each or either candidate will do (for the sake of clarity, this does not mean "she will lie", "he will press the button", etc, etc.) If you see any positives in your opponent's policies, it is absolutely fine to say so, otherwise only state the strengths of your chosen candidates campaign. This thread has a very limited shelf life, if it gets any further posts at all! Although I suspect the main contributors will be OldSalt and PDX, if anyone cares to comment about the Libertarian, Green, TEA, and other candidates' policies, please enlighten me as British media gives little coverage of them.

CRFriend, Uncle Al, and Milfmog, please stamp on this thread immediately if you feel I have started something I shouldn't have, and I apologise.

Otherwise, everyone please play nicely. :D
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Trump vs Clinton vs The Rest

Post by Jim »

I'll point out the main area's of Jill Stein's platform (found here: http://www.jill2016.com/platform)
Climate Action: Protecting Mother Earth and Humanity
Jobs as a Right, and Key Support for Labor
End Poverty
Health Care as a Right - Establish an improved “Medicare for All” single-payer public health program to provide everyone with quality health care
Education as a Right:
Guarantee tuition-free, world-class public education from pre-school through university.
A Just Economy Guarantee a living wage job for all.
Freedom and Equality:
A Just Immigration System Support immigrants’ rights. Create a welcoming path to citizenship for immigrants.
Criminal Justice Reforms End the failed war on drugs. End police brutality.
Justice for All: Enforce the Bill of Rights by protecting the right to free speech and protest, to be secure from unwarranted search and seizure and invasion of privacy, as well as our other Constitutional rights.
Peace and Human Rights:
Establish a foreign policy based on diplomacy, international law, human rights, and nonviolent support for democratic movements around the world. Cut military spending by at least 50% and close the 700+ foreign military bases.
Empower the People: Fix our Broken Elections with Real Democracy

And more. I agree with most, but not all of the positions.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote:I'll point out the main area's of Jill Stein's platform (found here: http://www.jill2016.com/platform)
That reads surprisingly like Sanders' proposals -- and look where it got him.

The problem with a platform like that, is that while it reads well to our nobler intentions, it's not our nobler intentions that pull the strings, it's the oligarchs. Each and every plank in that platform will have very powerful detractors that can stop any or all of them in their tracks.

For instance, do you think that serious action will be taken regarding climate change with entitles like Ford, GM, "Big Oil", and the Koch Brothers lined up in opposition? Ditto the next several: not one of them benefits the oligarchy -- they're great for the common man to be sure, but that's in opposition to the entrenched powers. How about "criminal justice"? Do you really believe that any of those ideas can be made to stick what with prisons and the support network they require making billions for venture-capital companies and the like? (Who runs the VC firms? See?)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:At risk of straying irretrievably into the realms of topic verboten, I would like to hear about the policies and strengths of the candidates. The terms of this thread are strictly about what your chosen candidate proposes. It is not about what the other candidate did or did not do; so nothing about her "this" and his "that", etc, etc.

I suspect the main contributors will be OldSalt and PDX...
Here's a nickel's worth of MY putting my 2 cents in. Yes I am voting for Trump. We can go on forever about what the candidates are promising to do. the only negative I will give is that the entire political system is corrupt both sides. Trump is an outsider .He is going to shake up the status quo. Many of the sweet heart deals that the politicians have been benefiting from are going to come into focus. And we will see that they are all in it for themselves and the people are only an after thought.

The other issue is fear. Going back to Churchill's big stick speech . It doesn't matter how big your stick is if people know you aren't going to use it. TRUMP is not going to start a war . He will rebuild our Military and hopefully our economy. Than things will be accomplished because the world will be afraid of how he is going to use it. Diplomacy doesn't work unless you can back it up with strength. And if you try to say that type of policy doesn't work. It sure did help the world situation after WW2
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Oldsalt,

Your reply genuinely underlines my biggest fear in the US presidential election; too many folks voting against a candidate rather than for one. I find it extraordinary that you could spend so much time telling us you intend to vote for DT but, when given the platform, seem unable to find a single policy that you think is worth sharing. This is your chance to tell everyone here what DT is going to do that is good for them.

As for Jill Stein's platform, explained above, it seems to be a great wish list but just begs the earnest question that one of the Americans I honestly revere* would have asked; "By what method?" Wanting an outcome is all very well but without a means to deliver it, it is simply wishful thinking.

Have fun folks,

Ian (going back to lurking on all political issues...)

* For those who don't recognise it the question was regularly asked by W Edwards Deming.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Milfmog wrote:Oldsalt,

Your reply genuinely underlines my biggest fear in the US presidential election; too many folks voting against a candidate rather than for one. I find it extraordinary that you could spend so much time telling us you intend to vote for DT but, when given the platform, seem unable to find a single policy that you think is worth sharing. This is your chance to tell everyone here what DT is going to do that is good for them.

As for Jill Stein's platform, explained above, it seems to be a great wish list but just begs the earnest question that one of the Americans I honestly revere* would have asked; "By what method?" Wanting an outcome is all very well but without a means to deliver it, it is simply wishful thinking.

Have fun folks,

Ian (going back to lurking on all political issues...)

* For those who don't recognise it the question was regularly asked by W Edwards Deming.
I thank you, Ian, for setting out so concisely what I was preparing to say.

Oldsalt, please tell me DT has some policies other than constructing a wall along the border with Mexico and banning Muslims (not sure how that will go down in Saudi Arabia).

Jim, thank you for details of a third contender.

Would anybody else like to wax lyrical about the aims of their favoured candidate; I know there are more than three!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Rebuilding the military

replacing Obama care

Re negotiating the Iranian nuclear deal

Negotiating trade deals that favor the United states.

Saving the coal industry

Having the countries that we protect help pay for the cost of maintaining their freedom.

and yes securing our boarders and prohibiting potential terrorists from entering the country.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

This is part of my $.02 worth on this topic -

Point of information:

Trump's 'ban' on Islam, Islamic ideals and Muslim 'refugees/immigrants' IS NOT NEW :!:
See:McCarran-Walter Act, 1952
SUMMARY:
"Otherwise known as the McCarran-Walter Act, the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952
was meant to exclude certain immigrants from immigrating to America, post World War II
and in the early Cold War. The McCarran-Walter Act moved away from excluding immigrants
based simply upon country of origin. Instead it focused upon denying immigrants who were
unlawful, immoral, diseased in any way, politically radical etc. and accepting those who were
willing and able to assimilate into the US economic, social, and political structures
, which
restructured how immigration law was handled. Furthermore, the most notable exclusions
were anyone even remotely associated with communism which in the early days of the
Cold War was seen as a serious threat to US democracy. The main objective of this was to
block any spread of communism from outside post WWII countries, as well as deny any
enemies of the US during WWII such as Japan and favor “good Asian” countries such as
China. The McCarran-Walter Act was a strong reinforcement in immigration selection, which
was labeled the best way to preserve national security and national interests.
President Truman originally vetoed the law, deeming it discriminatory; however there was
enough support in Congress for the law to pass."

He is strong for rebuilding our Military("speak softly and carry a big stick" - W.Churchill)
and taking care of our Veterans who have served our country.

Keeping jobs in America by offering tax incentives to keep companies from moving
production to 3rd rate countries.

These 'concepts are a bit like 'Reaganomics', and under Pres. Reagan, Americans had
some of the highest personal growth in many years. President Eisenhower would not
have allowed Islamic theology into the U.S. Even President Jimmy Carter banned
Iranians and ordered them to leave the U.S. Students were given 30 days to show
proper paperwork to allow them to stay as students or get the 'heck' out of America.

An Islamic/Muslim "BAN" is not a Trump concept, he is using an existing law to enable
the U.S. to properly 'vet' potential immigrants. He, Trump, has brought forth information
for, and about, policies that the 'media' doesn't want the public to know it has forgotten.

FMI -> Gary Bauer: Teddy Roosevelt Banned Muslims; Jimmy Carter Banned Iranians

I could go on about health care, using Canada as an example of what NOT to do, but
I won't.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:replacing Obama care
Can we please, once and for all, get this straight? It's not "Obamacare", it's "Romneycare", so named after one Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney -- a Republican -- who managed through various parliamentary shenanigans to ram a gift to his billionaire buddies through the overwhelmingly Democratic legislature. The thing was an immediate cash windfall to the "insurance" industry and an outright disaster for the middle class in Massachusetts. Quality of care fell immediately and costs soared. It was just as much of a disaster -- if not more so -- as a national measure. I'm still waiting to see what the effect on life-expectancy is from it, although those data will be years in coming.

Romney, of course, knowing what he'd done in Massachusetts immediately attempted to divorce himself from his bastard child, but people who pay attention have long memories. So, please, proper attribution. Obama put this one forward because the "insurance" industry smelled blood in the water, demanded it, and Obama being the good little tool he is complied. The blunt end of this is that Romneycare is nothing but a wealth-transfer scheme, which is to say transferring wealth from the middle class to the extreme upper class.

Long story short: Romneycare is going precisely nowhere until the entire oligarchy is torn down.
Negotiating trade deals that favor the United states.
The United States no longer manufactures anything, the manufacturing industry having been discarded wholesale in the fallacy of the "service economy". How would it be even possible for us to negotiate a "trade deal"? The USA has nothing to trade.
Saving the coal industry
Is the rest of the planet interested in this? What about carbon emissions and climate change?
Having the countries that we protect help pay for the cost of maintaining their freedom.
Zero-fund foreign military aid -- including Israel. If they're that worried about it, let 'em pay for it out of their own pockets, 100%. The problem here is that there's lots of money to be made running guns, and that money sticks to the top.
and yes securing our boarders and prohibiting potential terrorists from entering the country.
I'm all for protecting those who live with us (boarders), but I remain unconvinced that with properly-executed intelligence and intervention the odds of externally-driven terrorism can be driven to near-zero levels. Home-grown, driven by inane and insane economic policy, not so much.

Please, please, stop quoting party-line propaganda.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

crfriend wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote: Please, please, stop quoting party-line propaganda.
How can you say please stop quoting party-line propaganda in the same post that you use carbon emissions and climate change.

Romney care. The most effective tool in the democratic platform is when you can't solve a problem blame it on the other guy. No matter where it came from it doesn't work and clinton has no plan to fix it.

Coal can be burned in a much more efficient and less polluting manner than in the past. Its a major industry in many states. we need the jobs. And do you really think China gives a dam about climate change.

And what is wrong with having the countries we protect cover some of the costs.

I am a little confused by what you are trying to say in the first part of the last comment on terrorism could you please elaborate
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

OK, I'm going to quote this out of sequence, so be aware of that.
oldsalt1 wrote:
crfriend wrote: Please, please, stop quoting party-line propaganda.
How can you say please stop quoting party-line propaganda in the same post that you use carbon emissions and climate change. [...]
Coal can be burned in a much more efficient and less polluting manner than in the past.
Coal cannot be burned "more efficiently" than we were capable of doing in the 19th century, and that's down to basic chemistry. To "burn" means, fundamentally, to "oxidise", and that means to chemically combine carbon with oxygen. The most efficient way to do this is to fully combust the carbon into carbon dioxide using the oxygen present in the atmosphere. Inefficient burning results in carbon monoxide, which, interestingly yields more heat when re-combusted than partial combustion. So, no matter how you cut it, coal, which is fundamentally carbon, can, at best, only produce carbon dioxide and heat (which is what we use).

Oil and gas, which are hydrocarbons, burn differently and with differing amounts of heat release based on the number of hydrogen atoms present versus the number of carbon atoms present. Thermal release of oxidising hydrogen is much higher than that of oxidising carbon, so the overall thermal release from hydrocarbon combustion is higher than that of straight carbon (coal). This is a fundamental law and cannot be tampered with. CO2 "sequestration" has been toyed with, but presents problems of its own.

China may not particularly care (nor may India), but neither do Ford, GM, Big Oil, or Big Coal. That's down to money, and the environment be damned. The latter bunch are who's calling the shots here.

In any event, I suspect that ship has sailed and we need to figure out now not how to slow the problem but how to survive the end result.
Romney care. The most effective tool in the democratic platform is when you can't solve a problem blame it on the other guy. No matter where it came from it doesn't work and clinton has no plan to fix it.
Note where I live. I pay attention. It was rammed in here by a Republican long before it got rammed home nationally. Clinton won't fix it because there's too much money involved. (See earlier commentary on the matter.)
And what is wrong with having the countries we protect cover some of the costs.
Not a whit, and that's why I'd zero-fund foreign military aid. Save that that'd get nowhere because, as I pointed out earlier, running guns is very profitable.
I am a little confused by what you are trying to say in the first part of the last comment on terrorism could you please elaborate
If we look at terrorism from a critical perspective, we'll see that random violence on its own has little effect on a population save to steel said population against the perceived aggressor. This was well pointed up by civil behaviour in the UK during The Blitz, and also in Germany, both in the second world war -- and both instances were largely state sponsored terrorism. For terrorism to actually work, it requires the active collaboration (whether tacit or not) of the government of the locality that's being "terrorised" -- hence Al Queda's entirely successful campaign in the early 2000s in the US when the local government immediately clamped down on its own citizens instead of focussing its efforts outwards.

Random violence against random people serves no purpose, and anybody who believes that it does is deluding himself. All it does is p!ss people off. Save for 2001-09-11, the US has only seen random outbursts of asinine behaviour that can serve no real purpose. Making matters worse, as the economy for the majority of the population in the US continues its implosion, this sort or random crap will only increase in intensity simply as folks who once had a part in things see that slip away and don't know where, or how, to hit back.

Killing ten people at once in a bombing is nothing; we kill that many in police shootings in two or three days (save that most of those never get mentioned). But, it gains attention, which yields another crackdown and erosion of personal liberty. Lambs to the slaughter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

crfriend wrote:
C
[
I'm all for protecting those who live with us (boarders), but I remain unconvinced that with properly-executed intelligence and intervention the odds of externally-driven terrorism can be driven to near-zero levels. Home-grown, driven by inane and insane economic policy, not so much.

Sorry still confused are you trying to say that with proper intelligence....... external terrorism can be driven to near zero levels
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

oldsalt1 wrote:
crfriend wrote:
C
[

Sorry still confused are you trying to say that with proper intelligence....... external terrorism can be driven to near zero levels
First off: the quoting function opens with the word "quote" encapsulated between [ ] and ends with "/quote" also encapsulated between [ ].

You can add the reference to the original poster by expanding the opening {quote} to {quote="Oldsalt1"}. It is vital to use equal numbers of "opening" and "closing" parentheses and codes, etc, to ensure that the system properly picks up the coding.

Please proof read your postings for these simple codings; it will enable us to properly decipher the originator and actual content of the quotes and your response.

Unfortunately, I believe the above needs to be stated since your postings in numerous threads have become increasingly jumbled. This may be a result of the technology used in accessing and posting herein, but I'm writing this post on a 5-inch touchscreen (not so smart) "smartphone". If you are using a "tablet", laptop or desktop, then things should be even easier.

Next up: leaving out words within quotes requires very careful parsing. Carl's original post stated:
crfriend wrote:I'm all for protecting those who live with us (boarders), but I remain unconvinced that with properly-executed intelligence and intervention the odds of externally-driven terrorism can be driven to near-zero levels. Home-grown, driven by inane and insane economic policy, not so much.
By omitting "unconvinced" from your quote you have completely altered the intent of the words; and it seems as though that alteration has then been further contorted by your responding question. This is an extremely poor standard of writing; one which is often used by the "gutter" media and "gutter" politicians for the furtherance of whipping up a baying crowd; I sincerely hope this is not your intention.

My very simple mind interprets Carl's statement that he is, to paraphrase: unconvinced that the odds of externally-driven terrorism can be driven to near-zero levels, even with properly-executed intelligence and intervention; i.e. he does not believe that external terrorism can be (almost) eradicated even with all of the state surveillance and intelligence available. {If I've misinterpreted your intent, Carl, please correct me.}
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:My very simple mind interprets Carl's statement that he is, to paraphrase: unconvinced that the odds of externally-driven terrorism can be driven to near-zero levels, even with properly-executed intelligence and intervention; i.e. he does not believe that external terrorism can be (almost) eradicated even with all of the state surveillance and intelligence available. {If I've misinterpreted your intent, Carl, please correct me.}
This is correct.

Even with virtually perfect intelligence (that is, accurate information, carefully applied) we will never drive the level of risk to zero. The world is just too dangerous a place (and the US, with its ham-fisted approach to diplomacy, has helped to make it so). However, the risk from external sources likely can be driven to a low enough level to be tolerable, which is to say that the US needs to be more worried about strife from within, and "fortunately" all the mechanisms for invasive and total internal surveillance are already in place. And the internal risk is not going to go to zero either until things get fixed.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

the sentence doesn't make sense if he changed the word " of" to " are it might convey the message he is trying to relate.

I thought this was a social site and as such I don't need your english lesson or appreciate your condesending attitude towards my computer skills or lack there of .