Gun control

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gun control

Post by STEVIE »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:47 am Why then, can I not purchase a nuclear warhead?
You can Moon, when you have the correct amount of currency at your disposal.
The method lies in stealing the right bit of real estate and becoming The King.
Then be tempted into using it but only in self-defence, naturally.
Steve.
Still befuddled by Americans and guns.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Nuclear warheads are not much to look at really, kind of boring to be honest! A good way to wind the neighbours up though!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:47 am A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

Why then, can I not purchase a nuclear warhead?
Buy up enough stock in the right corporation and you can have an entire arsenal full of them.

Sorry, I used to have the name of the parent corporation holding Pantex (they assemble nukes about 15 miles from where my dad grew up).

And regardless of what Biden said, nations are made up of people, and annihilating them isn't the same as subjugating them.
The trick to taking over a nation is removing the resistance to subjugation through selectively culling those who refuse to carry the yoke of oppression. And that requires small arms, either to enact or prevent, scattered across at least 10% the population committed to their side.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

kingfish wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:21 pm And regardless of what Biden said, nations are made up of people, and annihilating them isn't the same as subjugating them.
The trick to taking over a nation is removing the resistance to subjugation through selectively culling those who refuse to carry the yoke of oppression. And that requires small arms, either to enact or prevent, scattered across at least 10% the population committed to their side.
My uncle and I were having a discussion about that yesterday. The view was reached that while the average citizenry doesn't have the capacity to overthrow nations, collectively they do have the power to create substantial issues and problems for the tyrant.

The tyant requires an obedient populous. The first amendment stands in the way of that, and the second amendment protects the first.

As I mull over the state of society today, sometimes I consider that the divisiveness in society is a blessing. The fact that we're a 50/50 split keeps things in perfect balance. Too often in history 90% controls the levers of power, and that is the seed of tyranny.

Long live the alt-right and antifa.... for as long as they continue to quarrel bitterly in an ever lasting stalemate, freedom blossoms behind the scenes. Just try to stay out of the crossfire!

Interestingly, my uncle seems to be very pro 2A. Yet in all other matters appears to be as "liberal" leftist as the day is long...

So much for stereotypes eh? :wink:

I consider myself to be "liberal". I'm for single payer health care, working to end racism, true "religious freedom", LGBTQ dignity and rights, pro-immagrant, feminist, etc, yet am also pro-2A, pro-life, for small government if at all possible, against cancel culture, for TRUE freedom of speech, etc...

Yes there are contradictions in there, no need to call them out... unlike the rest of the human species, I never claimed to be perfect, have it all figured out, or have my sh!t together.... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:34 pmThe tyant requires an obedient populous.
Or an entirely subdued populace; I submit that the USA is in the second category. We have the world's most massive policing infrastructure, imprison more of our population than virtually any other nation on earth, and the policing infrastructure is completely unaccountable to civil authority.
As I mull over the state of society today, sometimes I consider that the divisiveness in society is a blessing. The fact that we're a 50/50 split keeps things in perfect balance. Too often in history 90% controls the levers of power, and that is the seed of tyranny.
The 50/50 split is only valid if one holds that the USA is still a democratic republic. I posit that it's not, and that all the divisiveness witnessed in Washington, DC is nothing more than bluff and bluster. I see an oligarchy in play where the super-rich are simply running the show for their own profit, and shafting the general populace by the hogwash of "logjam". Note what happens to bills brought before congress that would only benefit the middle and lower classes (99.9+% of the population) -- gridlock; then look what happens when a tax-cut for the super-rich is mooted -- it passes with a large majority, without debate or controversy. Follow the money.
Long live the alt-right and antifa.... for as long as they continue to quarrel bitterly in an ever lasting stalemate, freedom blossoms behind the scenes. Just try to stay out of the crossfire!
Neither of those are remotely your friend. We've seen what 40 years of right-wing radicalisation has done, not just to the USA but the world overall, and it's not pretty. We're being marched in entirely the wrong direction.
Interestingly, my uncle seems to be very pro 2A. Yet in all other matters appears to be as "liberal" leftist as the day is long...
I rather suspect that Doctoral dissertations have been written on this topic.

In the interest of equality, liberals should take up arms in the same numbers as the neo-cons.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Agreed on all counts....Well I don't know your uncle's political leanings. I'll take your word on it.

I actually consider myself to be liberal in the classical sense (like the ones at the beginning of the 20th century).
Sometime in the 40s/50s the collectivists kind of hijacked the liberal label as a means of marketing their own set of restrictions.
I read the book "The Road to Serfdom" by F.A. Hayek at the suggestion of a client I worked with back in the 90s. It was a college level political science read (it took effort), but was an eye opener, and one I highly recommend. The chapter "Who, Whom" goes over how the collectivists will take the names of good looking political groups to make themselves look equally attractive. (like a particular group behaving like fascists and calling themselves "Antifa")

And as for that stalemate. May both those sides stick to their positions with uncompromising fervor, and get nowhere. Though I would like to see some of them calm down so that we can get something positive accomplished. In some ways, I think we've re-living the politics of the 70s with Trump playing Nixon 2.0 and Biden repeating the Ford administration's highlights (so far).
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:53 pm
The 50/50 split is only valid if one holds that the USA is still a democratic republic. I posit that it's not, and that all the divisiveness witnessed in Washington, DC is nothing more than bluff and bluster. I see an oligarchy in play where the super-rich are simply running the show for their own profit, and shafting the general populace by the hogwash of "logjam". Note what happens to bills brought before congress that would only benefit the middle and lower classes (99.9+% of the population) -- gridlock; then look what happens when a tax-cut for the super-rich is mooted -- it passes with a large majority, without debate or controversy. Follow the money.
I wasn't writing about the politicians. I already know with whom they work for. I'm speaking of the people. Those folks on in D.C., they are on the same side.
crfriend wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:53 pm
Neither of those are remotely your friend.
True, but as long as those wolves are going at it, the rest of us are largely ignored and thus, free. Like I said, just stay out of their way. Large corporations have already figured this out, that's why they give to PAC's on both sides of every issue. They know if our society and government is occupied in pointless culture wars, we'll be too busy fighting amongst ourselves to notice what they [the corporations] are getting away with behind our backs. Everybody does this, it's a fundamental law of Nature... create a diversion and steal the booty whilst nobody is looking.
crfriend wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:53 pm In the interest of equality, liberals should take up arms in the same numbers as the neo-cons.
Absolutely! And I think more of them do that we may realize. My uncle looks like you're typical redneck American Joe, you'd never expect to hear leftist talk come from his lips.

As a side note, I visited my aunt and uncle along with my sister, her boyfriend, and mother Saturday afternoon and into the evening whilst wearing my brown knee length skirt and "West Virginia" tee. Nary a word was said other than a joke I cracked when one of their dogs proceeded to run his snout right up my skirt and in between my butt cheeks when I first arrived. I pushed him away citing "that is NOT appropriate!" To which I chuckled and my mother burst out in laughter. :lol:
kingfish wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:00 pm And as for that stalemate. May both those sides stick to their positions with uncompromising fervor, and get nowhere.
Hear hear!
Though I would like to see some of them calm down so that we can get something positive accomplished.
In time. Maybe when we can actually get some blood in power that wasn't alive during the Roosevelt administration... or Truman, or Eisenhower... that'd be nice.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by moonshadow » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:48 pm
In time. Maybe when we can actually get some blood in power that wasn't alive during the Roosevelt administration... or Truman, or Eisenhower... that'd be nice.
Be cautious there; a lot of that blood is with you, albeit not necessarily in power. Boomer bashing, or any other label generalizing aids divisiveness rather than cooperation. I'm inclined to think there were a lot of the "right answers" from them hippie boomers spouting 'make love not war' -- and a handful have tried, even Bernie boy Sanders, is still in the game a bit. But the Oligarch few are truly the 'enemy' laughing all the way to the bank they own. Nor, will young blood alone bring us round right -- in fact I'm somewhat more fearful of what I'm seeing from them. We may need a complete remake of the human genome.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

This
Faldaguy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:08 am Boomer bashing, or any other label generalizing aids divisiveness rather than cooperation
Conflicts with this
Faldaguy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:08 am Nor, will young blood alone bring us round right -- in fact I'm somewhat more fearful of what I'm seeing from them. We may need a complete remake of the human genome
I could say the same for "millenial bashing"....

The last comment I find particularly disturbing..

We may need a complete remake of the human genome

Are you implying that millenials and gen z are literally a mistake of Nature?

Should we be eradicated? Start over while there may still be a few fertile x'ers?

All I meant to imply was that people under 40 could benefit from some actual representation in government. Do you believe us to be unworthy? Your response was rather offensive.

Well I'm so sorry we're not steering the world in the "right direction"... of course then again we're not really in the driver's seat so....
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Look, I know us "kids" have our bad eggs, but I've never known a generation that had been a fountain of enlightenment.

People of all ages can be pretty dumb, including old MoonShadow.

But maybe cut us a little slack. We're grappling with a lot of crap right now, and I repeat, we have no practical representation in our country. Maybe we wouldn't riot so much if people would stop ignoring our needs for a change.

Personally I think Trump, Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell, etc are going to burn the place down before they hand over the levers of power... when it comes our turn, there won't be a nation left to govern.
-Andrea
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Sorry Moon you are feeling so sensitive, my reply was not directed at any generation, just that I have not seen much hope from any of us...and maybe the failing is related to human nature not our age.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Faldaguy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:00 am Sorry Moon you are feeling so sensitive, my reply was not directed at any generation, just that I have not seen much hope from any of us...and maybe the failing is related to human nature not our age.
Can we stop this? And yes I know I've been just as guilty.

The fact is, more people are more free and better off now than at any point in recorded history. Are there problems and challenges? Yes, but things are not as glum as they appear.

And every older generation believes the younger ones to be going straight to hell.

I'd rather be a 2021 American than a 1950 American, or any other decade.

"The good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems".

-Billy Joel (Keeping the Faith)
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I must confess, I'm a little bit bothered that of everything I wrote in the post in question, my remarks about "young blood" was the only thing that generated any kind of response, and that response wasn't exactly pleasant and I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, I'm forced to conclude that the given post in question was nothing more than a waste of time. This is a trend I'm noticing more and more everywhere... that being making statements that seem to be ignored and thus, wasting time.

It's not just here, in the real world, I often have people ignore me, walk off while I'm talking to then, etc, even when I'm trying to be pleasant.

But you let someone approach me, even when I'm clearly busy or not in the mood to listen, and if I blow them off they get all pissy about it.

Anyway, nary a remark made about yet another one of my skirt outings with new people. I'm left to wonder, what was the point of all this?

It seems that was a good 10 minutes of my life wasted that I'll never get back.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Moon, I think you'll find that pretty much everybody spends most of his time torqued off at the moment -- and, yes, it is getting worse; it's not your imagination.

Think about it, for a few moments. In 2007 we got hammered with a depression that in absolute numbers was worse than the "Great" in 1929, and we're right back where we were again in 1929 waiting for another hammering.

In 2015 and the run-up to the "election" in 2016 we got introduced to the most potent divisive candidate ever deployed, and suffered under that yoke until 2021 climaxing with an armed insurrection and the ransacking of the US Capitol. Now we've got another stooge of the oligarchs in power who is not even of my generation, but the one before -- and before you forget that, Biden was the number-2 boyo in power during the last 8 years of Cheney/Dubya.

Then we got COVID -- and the botched response that made the Keystone Cops look competent: lockdowns, insufficient education to get a large majority vaccinated, and even now the mask madness goes on. For instance, I went out for dinner last night (Taco Night at my old local!) and about 8 feet down the bar from me were two idiots thinking they were in their own echo chamber spouting off about not getting the vaccine. I called for the check, and had I run into either of the owners would have complained -- vociferously.

So, it's not just you. It's everybody else as well.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:28 am I must confess, I'm a little bit bothered that of everything I wrote in the post in question, my remarks about "young blood" was the only thing that generated any kind of response, and that response wasn't exactly pleasant and I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, I'm forced to conclude that the given post in question was nothing more than a waste of time. This is a trend I'm noticing more and more everywhere... that being making statements that seem to be ignored and thus, wasting time.
I appreciate your thoughts and experiences, Moon. I'm just not one to comment frequently. Don't assume your posts are ignored because no one comments.