Gun control

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Gun control

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:43 am Think about it, for a few moments. In 2007 we got hammered with a depression that in absolute numbers was worse than the "Great" in 1929, and we're right back where we were again in 1929 waiting for another hammering.
I remember that period pretty well. Times got pretty tough as I recall, but I remember the owner of the company I used to work for stood to speak at one of our meetings....

He didn't sugar coat things, and made it pretty clear that the business going through a rough patch, but he quoted an electrical contractor over on the east coast of the state, when this contractor stated in regards to the economic woes of the time:

"I choose not to participate". He rolled up his sleeves and got to work, and do did we. Nobody lost their jobs, we all worked together, pounded the pavement and got through the mess.

I think the moral of the quote was to avoid becoming a victim.

When you become a victim, that means you've lost the fight.

There have been many times in my life where I faced an enormous challenge, many nights I've lost sleep wondering how to provide for the following day. Yes, the covid debacle has been responsible for a few of those sleepness nights, but every morning I wake up, shower, get dressed, and pound the pavement again, and the needs always manage to be met.

I didn't look for reasons to lay out of work and draw an unemployment check. For years and years I've worked and request special assignments, additional training, and when ever a volunteer was needed to do something unpopular, I've always raised my hand. The result of this is a man who despite having a very unorthodox clothing style, managed to remain gainfully employed. Why? Because Andrew gets sh!t done and they know it.

Joe Biden is not responsible for my success or failure, nor was Donald Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc. I'm responsible for myself, I take what I earn fairly, give a little back from time to time, and I own up to my screw-ups.

I refuse to become a victim of this world and the society I live in.

You take these local yokels that laugh at me when they see me out wearing skirts, does it get annoying? Sometimes, but I don't go home and cry myself to sleep over it, I don't need to hide in some "safe place", I go right back out there the next day, confident as ever.

Life can suck.

I choose not to participate.

There are two things you can call me to royally piss me off...

Don't call me a "victim" and don't call me a "consumer".

I'm not a consumer, I'm a producer. I work for my bread.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I also think we should choose our words carefully, you never know who you might be inspiring...

That electrician of whom I've never met probably never figured that one little line he uttered during an insignificant conversation with my employer back in 2008 would become one of the mottos that some random mountain man/crossdresser would live by.

Sometimes I think it's things like that that cause us to live forever.

It's the legacy we leave behind.

Today in our world of social media everyone has something to say. If you were to perish in some freak accident tonight, as friends and family comb your social media accounts during the grieving process, what would you leave behind?

How would you want to be remembered?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, if your comments seem to get ignored I take it that there's generally a consensus on your comments. If there was disagreement then people would soon let you know.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:37 pmHow would you want to be remembered?
Personally, and this is just me, I'd like to be remembered as someone who changed the world. Not in any big flashy way, mind, but the very quiet "one mind at a time" way. Big and flashy is the realm of tyrants and tinhorns; better to change things slowly.

And I believe I have a toe-hold. For instance, intelligence has gotten back to me that by a wide margin at the place I got sacked from in 2013 the memory is, "He dragged his feet a bit, but he was actually right about 90% of the time." There's a memory! There are folks pursuing computer-history now, which was a field completely unknown a few years ago because I inspired them, and a few have admitted it. There are historic machines running (or runnable) now that would not be save for my presence and knowledge which was transferred to others who carry it forward. I've been quietly running this usually-tranquil little spot for close to 20 years -- an eternity in Internet time. I have several multi-decadal friendships, which in the modern world is rare.

Yes, we live on in the memories of others. It's all we can aspire to.

I have explicit instructions in my Will for no graven monuments. I either live on in the minds of people or I simply cease to exist and leave, likely a bit more quietly than I arrived. I am at peace with that.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

moonshadow wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:34 pm Interestingly, my uncle seems to be very pro 2A. Yet in all other matters appears to be as "liberal" leftist as the day is long...

So much for stereotypes eh? :wink:
Most folks have a mix of ideas, and aren't in lock step with either party line. I remember a few years back hearing about a Democrat running on a pro-gun platform somewhere very rural (PA I think) and winning easily.

Likewise, Trump was generally supportive of the LGBT community, only really opposing trans folk specifically in the military.

When individual issues are discussed rather than parties and candidates, there is a lot of agreement to be had in unusual places.
moonshadow wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:34 pm I consider myself to be "liberal". I'm for single payer health care, working to end racism, true "religious freedom", LGBTQ dignity and rights, pro-immagrant, feminist, etc, yet am also pro-2A, pro-life, for small government if at all possible, against cancel culture, for TRUE freedom of speech, etc...

Yes there are contradictions in there, no need to call them out... unlike the rest of the human species, I never claimed to be perfect, have it all figured out, or have my sh!t together.... :wink:
Oh, the self contradictions are tempting, but I'll leave them be. The interesting thing here is that there are few items we actually disagree on in principle (and I'd be tempted to call myself "conservative"), though I suspect half or more we would seriously disagree on how to implement. (Someday I'd love to have that discussion over a drink or two...)

Look around at the variety of folks here at the cafe. All walks of life, political persuasions, ethnicities, temperaments, etc. Yet here we are, in general agreement on men's clothing choices, of all things. We found a common interest, and as a result are having civil discussions across all sorts of lines. It's what we need more of if we are going to heal society.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 pm
crfriend wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:43 am Think about it, for a few moments. In 2007 we got hammered with a depression that in absolute numbers was worse than the "Great" in 1929, and we're right back where we were again in 1929 waiting for another hammering.
I remember that period pretty well. Times got pretty tough as I recall, but I remember the owner of the company I used to work for stood to speak at one of our meetings....

He didn't sugar coat things, and made it pretty clear that the business going through a rough patch, but he quoted an electrical contractor over on the east coast of the state, when this contractor stated in regards to the economic woes of the time:

"I choose not to participate". He rolled up his sleeves and got to work, and do did we. Nobody lost their jobs, we all worked together, pounded the pavement and got through the mess.

I think the moral of the quote was to avoid becoming a victim.

When you become a victim, that means you've lost the fight.

There have been many times in my life where I faced an enormous challenge, many nights I've lost sleep wondering how to provide for the following day. Yes, the covid debacle has been responsible for a few of those sleepness nights, but every morning I wake up, shower, get dressed, and pound the pavement again, and the needs always manage to be met.

I didn't look for reasons to lay out of work and draw an unemployment check. For years and years I've worked and request special assignments, additional training, and when ever a volunteer was needed to do something unpopular, I've always raised my hand. The result of this is a man who despite having a very unorthodox clothing style, managed to remain gainfully employed. Why? Because Andrew gets sh!t done and they know it.

Joe Biden is not responsible for my success or failure, nor was Donald Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, etc. I'm responsible for myself, I take what I earn fairly, give a little back from time to time, and I own up to my screw-ups.

I refuse to become a victim of this world and the society I live in.

You take these local yokels that laugh at me when they see me out wearing skirts, does it get annoying? Sometimes, but I don't go home and cry myself to sleep over it, I don't need to hide in some "safe place", I go right back out there the next day, confident as ever.

Life can suck.

I choose not to participate.

There are two things you can call me to royally piss me off...

Don't call me a "victim" and don't call me a "consumer".

I'm not a consumer, I'm a producer. I work for my bread.
This post was awesome! Thank you, Moon.

I was going to trim the quoted part down to highlights, but there's nothing to remove. Well said.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Dust wrote: The interesting thing here is that there are few items we actually disagree on in principle (and I'd be tempted to call myself "conservative"), though I suspect half or more we would seriously disagree on how to implement. (Someday I'd love to have that discussion over a drink or two...)

Look around at the variety of folks here at the cafe. All walks of life, political persuasions, ethnicities, temperaments, etc. Yet here we are, in general agreement on men's clothing choices, of all things. We found a common interest, and as a result are having civil discussions across all sorts of lines. It's what we need more of if we are going to heal society.
This contains a huge truth we so oft miss: "there are few items we actually disagree on in principle..." So often we dismiss the "other" as being on a different side -- when it is only their approach to solving the issue that we disagree on. If indeed more often we would look at the outcomes that most of us are seeking, we would find commonality in the outcomes -- it is in 'how to get there' that causes most of the fuss.

Indeed the civil discourse is incredibly useful; and it is this element that seems to guide much of what transpires in SC that keeps me reading -- and sometimes spouting 'hows' that do not resonate across all the spectrums! Let's continue to look for more of the healing -- thank you for the reminder.