Interesting..... (calling the biblical experts)

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Interesting..... (calling the biblical experts)

Post by Ralph »

Ray wrote:With one caveat - I cannot have others' belief systems applied to me, and think that many would do the same.
You have my support, Ray. When my well-meaning but constitutionally illiterate church friends start citing bible verses as reasons various behavior should be illegal (usually involving what men should and should not do with each other) I remind them that we can't force nonbelievers to adhere to a law written specifically for followers of our God. If they want behavior that is prohibited in our bible to be legally forbidden throughout the country, they can write a bill and see if it gets enough support in Congress. And good luck with that...

I also remind them that if they want schools to be teaching prayer and biblical beliefs, there are any number of wacky beliefs, even among those professing to be Christians, that they probably do not want their children learning from random strangers in a government-run school system. You want prayer back in schools? OK, first up is the teacher from a Zoroastrian background, then the Wiccan, then...
Ralph!
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

Ralph wrote: I also remind them that if they want schools to be teaching prayer and biblical beliefs, there are any number of wacky beliefs, even among those professing to be Christians, that they probably do not want their children learning from random strangers in a government-run school system. You want prayer back in schools? OK, first up is the teacher from a Zoroastrian background, then the Wiccan, then...
Well sectarian private schools (that are run by religious institutions) get that covered, so why have it in public schools?
らき☆
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ralph wrote:I also remind them that if they want schools to be teaching prayer and biblical beliefs, there are any number of wacky beliefs, even among those professing to be Christians, that they probably do not want their children learning from random strangers in a government-run school system. You want prayer back in schools? OK, first up is the teacher from a Zoroastrian background, then the Wiccan, then...
This is exactly why I support the separation of church and state, particularly church and the public school system. Even among Christians, there are SOOOOO many different denominations it would be nearly impossible to respect each one in the school house, which is why I believe public schools should be for the education of secular subjects and leave the religious instruction for Sunday School.

My daughter brought something to my attention that rather bugged me last night, that being that one of the teachers at her school apparently gives extra "points" on assignments if the student writes "Jesus" on the paper. :shock:

On the one hand I'm inclined to call in and complain about it... but on the other hand I'm already known as the county crossdresser as it is and don't need my name plastered all over the local papers as "Local Wiccan transvestite complains about extra points being handed out to our precious children simply for writing our Lord and Saviors name on assignments".

Nope... don't need any of that noise in my life.... :roll:

Still, I plan to find out more information on this, and encourage Amber to write a Pagan deity on an assignment and demand the extra points. I'd have her back if she did.

Or go for the big time and just write Lucifer!

But yeah, this thing really bugged me on principle, that those extra points could be the difference between a passing grade and a failing grade, thus one could pass the course simply by professing adherence to Christianity.

Something is DEEPLY wrong with this picture!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

moonshadow wrote: My daughter brought something to my attention that rather bugged me last night, that being that one of the teachers at her school apparently gives extra "points" on assignments if the student writes "Jesus" on the paper. :shock:
What - even if it were a Mathematics or Chemistry paper? :shock:
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

moonshadow wrote:
This is exactly why I support the separation of church and state, particularly church and the public school system. Even among Christians, there are SOOOOO many different denominations it would be nearly impossible to respect each one in the school house, which is why I believe public schools should be for the education of secular subjects and leave the religious instruction for Sunday School.

My daughter brought something to my attention that rather bugged me last night, that being that one of the teachers at her school apparently gives extra "points" on assignments if the student writes "Jesus" on the paper. :shock:

On the one hand I'm inclined to call in and complain about it... but on the other hand I'm already known as the county crossdresser as it is and don't need my name plastered all over the local papers as "Local Wiccan transvestite complains about extra points being handed out to our precious children simply for writing our Lord and Saviors name on assignments".

Nope... don't need any of that noise in my life.... :roll:

Still, I plan to find out more information on this, and encourage Amber to write a Pagan deity on an assignment and demand the extra points. I'd have her back if she did.

Or go for the big time and just write Lucifer!

But yeah, this thing really bugged me on principle, that those extra points could be the difference between a passing grade and a failing grade, thus one could pass the course simply by professing adherence to Christianity.

Something is DEEPLY wrong with this picture!
Well, while I agree with you on the general issue, writing about Jesus on a paper does not necessarily mean adherence to Christianity. For example, in my school before I had written papers on various religions that I do not profess and still get good grades on them.
らき☆
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Just asked Amber for more details, and it probably sounds worse than it actually is. As it turns out the course is horticulture. One student had asked if he put "Jesus" down as one of the answers would that count? The instructor then stated that it would count for "one point", but to "try not to do that as you're supposed to know the answers".

I'm wondering what the question in particular is, could it be "what causes plants to grow?", whereas "Jesus" could possibly be considered a legal and permissible answer in districts that allow for the teaching of creationism. Some states do allow it. Not sure about Virginia.
Judah14 wrote:Well, while I agree with you on the general issue, writing about Jesus on a paper does not necessarily mean adherence to Christianity. For example, in my school before I had written papers on various religions that I do not profess and still get good grades on them.
Ahh, but this isn't a course on religion, or the study of it. If it were a course where Christianity were taught in an educational/historical/cultural context then it would be okay.

Ehh... turns out the story is pretty weak. Not really worth making a fizz over. Just an example of one ignorant redneck kid who tried to be a smart ass and the instructor pandering to him. I've got MUCH bigger fish to fry. Amber knows better than to be spoon fed all of that nonsense. I've always taught her similarly to what has been discussed on this thread, with regards to spirituality, follow your heart, don't pay much attention to religious "know it all's" and "holier than thou's".
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

moonshadow wrote:Just asked Amber for more details, and it probably sounds worse than it actually is. As it turns out the course is horticulture. One student had asked if he put "Jesus" down as one of the answers would that count? The instructor then stated that it would count for "one point", but to "try not to do that as you're supposed to know the answers".

I'm wondering what the question in particular is, could it be "what causes plants to grow?", whereas "Jesus" could possibly be considered a legal and permissible answer in districts that allow for the teaching of creationism. Some states do allow it. Not sure about Virginia.
In quizzes I had at school, the teachers would insert bonus questions regarding pop culture and current events, but NOT as an answer to a question in the quiz/paper itself.
moonshadow wrote:Ahh, but this isn't a course on religion, or the study of it. If it were a course where Christianity were taught in an educational/historical/cultural context then it would be okay.
For the record the subject in question is a history subject, so it is indeed justified.
らき☆
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Judah14 wrote:For the record the subject in question is a history subject, so it is indeed justified.
Horticulture has nothing to do with the study of religion, culture, or history. Unless there be a God of the plants. Then again Ceres might have something to do with it.
-Andrea
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

moonshadow wrote:
Judah14 wrote:For the record the subject in question is a history subject, so it is indeed justified.
Horticulture has nothing to do with the study of religion, culture, or history. Unless there be a God of the plants. Then again Ceres might have something to do with it.
To clear things up, I was referring to the subject I wrote papers regarding religion for.
らき☆
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

moonshadow wrote: On the oh so famous passage of Deuteronomy 22:5 it states:
A woman shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman's garment, for all who do so are an abomination to the Lord your God.
Okay. I was reading through some of the posts and I decided that quoting the first post would help with knowing I'm not on any tangent.

One important thing I see with religion is also understanding what was going on at the time and the history and culture of the people it pertained to. In saying that, what is a man's or women's garment? If we look back in time, togas were basically dresses, worn by men and women. Kilts were men's and then skirts became a thing, high heels were originally made for horseback riding, and of course pants, or trousers, were made for men and are now worn by women. So please tell me what makes one fabric men's and one women's. Back in the day being a proper man and women was a very important thing so it was stressed and added to religion, in my view. So does it matter so much now? Think about being gay, if God said to be gay then that could, but wouldn't, lead to the death of a race or a nation or humans. So stressing opposite sex relationships is important for human preservation.

But that's just me. I still don't eat pork. There are good reasons to most of God's teachings in my eyes. But wearing a skirt doesn't really make sense here. Like the whole tattoo thing. They actually say not to cut or mark your skin for the dead. So don't do it in the name of someone's death and it's fine?
Couya
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Couya »

I am with Alastair (not interested in all these suppositions about a book), like the majority of europeans, whether we wear skirts or not. Please leave all this on the other side of the ocean, where people believe in the goodness of Trump.

Martin, atheist and unplagued by feelings of guilt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Couya wrote:I am with Alastair (not interested in all these suppositions about a book), like the majority of europeans, whether we wear skirts or not. Please leave all this on the other side of the ocean, where people believe in the goodness of Trump.

Martin, atheist and unplagued by feelings of guilt.
Understood. I also, am not plagued by feelings of guilt, unless I have done something to injure someone. However, here, our laws are generally written for one of two reasons (or both), a) To make rich people richer or b) To pacify old puritan principles. In order for progressives to beat this system, they must first understand what drives it.

Around here, it's getting worse. You may have heard that some of us believe that the moon landing was a hoax. Well, I've got one better. Now the trend among folks here in my region seems to be that the Earth is flat. Yes folks, you heard me right, the latest right wing conspiracy theory is that we are being lied to about a spherical Earth. And yes, the core of this belief comes down to an interpretation of... you guessed it... the bible!

Damn liberals with their global warming, moon landings, and round Planets! :lol:
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:Around here, it's getting worse. You may have heard that some of us believe that the moon landing was a hoax. Well, I've got one better. Now the trend among folks here in my region seems to be that the Earth is flat. Yes folks, you heard me right, the latest right wing conspiracy theory is that we are being lied to about a spherical Earth. And yes, the core of this belief comes down to an interpretation of... you guessed it... the bible!
Damn liberals with their global warming, moon landings, and round Planets! :lol:
Of course the world is flat and when we get to the edge we will fall off and disappear. :lol:
The flat earth is getting hotter, why just yesterday I actually started sweating, (oh I forgot I turned the AC up.) :twisted: We did not go and land on the moon it is a figment of our imaginations, so how could we have landed on something that does not exist? :alien:
And I will never wear a skirt again!! :pale: Oh I am still in my skirt and don't think I can go without it. :hmmm:
Some of the people in this world are being driven crazy by the way the world keeps changing shape. I am not one of them. I was crazy long before all of this even started to get this bad!! :twisted: And I am happy for all of the company I have here at the Cafe!! :hide: :rofl: :hide:

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:You may have heard that some of us believe that the moon landing was a hoax.
I suspect it's worse than that. My suspicion is that now more folks believe the thing was a hoax than those who know it actually happened. After all, look at the state of technology in the 1960s and look where it is today. If the United States can't even get into low-Earth-orbit with all the modern technology we have at our disposal now, how in Creation could we have in 1969?
Now the trend among folks here in my region seems to be that the Earth is flat.
What? You mean that it... isn't... flat? How can that be? Oh, yes -- those forged pictures of the round Earth supposedly taken from space. OK, so it's round on the edges like an old-school pizza; other than that, it's flat. And a smidgen more than 6,000 years old.
Pretty soon they'll be spoutin' off 'bout evilution or some such rubbish.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Franinskirts wrote:Of course the world is flat and when we get to the edge we will fall off and disappear. :lol:
Nobody ever talks about Columbus' fourth ship. I wonder why that is.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!