Cinco de Mayo and More...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Cinco de Mayo and More...

Post by dillon »

Once a big fad here, and an excuse to party down, Cinco de Mayo is kind of old-hat as a celebration now, unless you're a beer salesman, but there are two other things to note today. First, it is the National Day of Prayer, and second, because of that designation, it has become also the National Day of Reason. These days are both designated for the first Thursday in May, and they just happened to coincide with a Cinco de Mayo this year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/diana-but ... 05427.html

I like the idea presented here...and this article is a few years old...but to combine the two. I think the idea of life based on three pillars - reason, faith, and compassion - is more appropriate than ever. A three-legged stool doesn't wobble.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Cinco de Mayo and More...

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I agree 100%.

Fred :kiltdance:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

I have a co-worker that I interact with often who is of Mexican heritage. Her phrase for the day is Cinco de Drunko and is not happy about her ancestors county being used as another drinking holiday. This in addition to the fact the "holiday" is only acknowledged in a portion of Mexico.
Around here, the day was much lower key than it has been in the past.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

She should not diminish the significance of the holiday. A vastly outnumbered rag-tag Mexican revolutionary army defeated the mighty French force, despite being poorly armed and outnumbered by two to one. It is worth noting, though within Mexico 5 de Mayo is a lesser holiday. It speaks of valiance and the origins of a nation.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...