Musicians still with us

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Musicians still with us

Post by Big and Bashful »

Agreed, There's No Way Out of Here is one of his best tracks, off I think his best solo album, (Thinks; I must get a digital version, the lp doesn't work outside the house!).
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Resurrecting this thread in light of the demise of The Purple One, it seems the OP list has vanished!
dillon wrote:And let's not forget Merle Haggard, George Clinton, and Burning Spear...
I think Dillon may have spoken too soon about Merle!

We seem to be losing talented and gifted musicians, comedians, actors, politicians, sports stars, etc (male and female) at an alarming rate this year. Obviously, we become more aware of the names as each year passes, but the rate of increase this year seems unprecedented.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:We seem to be losing talented and gifted musicians, comedians, actors, politicians, sports stars, etc (male and female) at an alarming rate this year. Obviously, we become more aware of the names as each year passes, but the rate of increase this year seems unprecedented.
This is for the simple reason that they, like us, are human beings and, hence mortal. There's also the fact that as our near-time elders, and folks we look(ed) up to, they tend to go at similar ages to us -- meaning that they pass on before we do.

Expect the rate to increase, save for when it drops to zero in a hurry; that'll mean that we've passed on.

One of the many things I hate about our Western Civilisation is the fact that we tend to view death as failure. This is nowhere more true than in the medical profession, and it always has and continues to drive me crazy. The moment we draw our first breath the end is already determined. At the other end of the line, death awaits. It is a certainty. Our lives should be measured not in the hole we leave when we die, but rather on how we lived our lives, what we did with them, and what we did for our fellow man. Sure, the hole in friends' and families' hearts will be there; however, there should also be joy in recalling a life well lived, in knowing that the individual made a difference in the world, and that the individual was a force for good.

Even though, as I mentioned, I intensely disliked Prince's stage persona, I have a lot of respect for his work. Forgetting his most notorious work, I think I'll go and find my copy of the Bangles' Manic Monday. Yep, Prince wrote that. Recall that I said that guy could write. It makes me smile. It changed my world a little bit. Is that a bad thing? Is it worth remembering?

How do you want to be remembered? For, whether you want it or not, you will be.

Death is not a failure, unless the entire span of life was also a failure. There is something to most of us.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

Keith Richards.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.