Casual Fridays?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Casual Fridays?

Post by crfriend »

Casual what?

I just completed my first week on the new job, and whilst I wanted to get things *done* to start easing the pain that I already sensed that folks are feeling, I spent a lot of the time in orientation and learning about the architectural design of the Company's main product. This was likely a good thing, mind, as I will be part of the support staff (it's hard not to be in a company that numbers, perhaps, a dozen folks). I did make considerable gains, however, in one aspect that was bothering folks, and that had me learning something completely new (well, as much as anything in computing is "new" to me) and then leveraging that for a solution.

And then came Friday. The place is usually pretty darn casual, and I've been showing up in my waistcoats and sometimes a necktie. Today I put a spin on it -- I wore my very fancy black waistcoat with velvet trim, a white dress-shirt, and the red paisley ascot. I immediately drew a comment of, "Where'd you get that vest?" To that end, I recommended my supplier, Historical Emporium, and may use it as a lead-in that I've gotten a bunch of stuff there at which point I might mention skirts.

Time will tell. (I'd actually be rather surprised if there wasn't some "local knowledge" already based on the fact that a few people in the new place know some of my colleagues from my old place. Something must have been said -- or, perhaps not, as at the old place I was not viewed as being unusual.)

The sad part is that most of the folks at the new place tend to go out to lunch as a group (it's small) on Fridays, and I didn't get the word in time so had gone out and procured my own meal. Next week!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!