Windows 8 -- Just shoot me now.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Windows 8 -- Just shoot me now.

Post by crfriend »

It was bound to happen, Sapphire's laptop finally got to the point where it was unusable (likely a combination of rootkits and hardware problems) and she bought a new one. Despite my counsel that she avoid Windows 8 as the UI has changed dramatically (as observed by a colleague of mine at work) the new arrival has Windows 8 on it because that's all that was available. And my colleague was right -- it's weird.

I've been working on this for well over two hours, and only just got the wireless network running (my home wireless network is well locked-down), e-mail configured (again, well locked-down), Office installed, and Solitaire (gotta have that! all 83 Megabytes worth) set up. I still haven't figured out how to put a startup icon for Solitaire on the taskbar.

I have been a computing professional for a third of a century, and this thing has humbled me with its obfuscation and needless complexity. The only way I found that I could deal with it was to treat it like my cell' 'phone (which I detest; I want a telephone, not a pocket computer/camera/"assistant"/confidant). Whatever happened to Teletypes and front-panels?

FOO! It's time for beer and Chinese food! At least I got the floors vacuumed and the bathroom floor washed whilst she was out shopping for the new device.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!