Quote of the Day

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Quote of the Day

Post by crfriend »

Or, perhaps, a "fortune cookie".

I have, on my computers, programs that present little witticisms, quotes, and whatnot whenever I log into them. It seems to make the machines seem more personable and a bit less like mere chunks of hardware, and, on occasion, they really come up with some good ones.

Such was the case when I logged into my system this afternoon when I got home from work, and it's even on-topic for here:
Adhere to your own act, and congratulate yourself if you have done
something strange and extravagant, and broken the monotony of a
decorous age.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
And on that note I shall congratulate myself for I returned to work today wearing a skirt which is something I've not done in a couple of weeks.

Bartender!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Quote of the Day

Post by Tor »

Like the quote. Life would be rather too boring if everyone were the same, so one must be reminded to try and be different a little more often (though many to most here could probably be said to be doing their part.)

Tor
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

You've actually been wearing trousers to work?? Isn't that unusual for you?? :mrgreen:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

crfriend wrote:I have, on my computers, programs that present little witticisms, quotes, and whatnot whenever I log into them. It seems to make the machines seem more personable and a bit less like mere chunks of hardware, and, on occasion, they really come up with some good ones.
That takes me back to a DEC timesharing computer I used in the mid 1970s, I think a PDP-11; there was a .QO command that would instantly bring up the QuOte of the day. I read them frequently, but never thought of saving them. But I did make a file of all the Salada tea bag tag witticisms I could find (such as "Silence can be golden, or just plain yellow.").
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!