Internet Issues....

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Internet Issues....

Post by straightfairy »

bit of background first.
I live out in the sticks, in a small village, and at one end of the village at that.
This conspires to put me a decent distance from the nearest telephone/internet exchange and hence gives the slowest net speeds.
No point in paying for 24Mb when the line can only deliver 3.5 Mb peak.
The problem I've had since moving in (8 years ago) was connection dropping out everytime I had bad weather, especially when windy, which made the line virtually useless.
Numerous calls to BT came to nothing as the problem was intermittent and line check always came back as clear.
Then two weeks ago a bad storm line me so much connectivity and speed that my mobile phone was faster and more reliable as i couldnt even connect to my web email provider.
Amusingly, this site was one of the few I could get onto as it has very few graphics.
NOW BT has to do something. First they actually find a line fault, which is fixed for 2 days and they finally agree to send an engineer out.
The problem?
2 crossed wires between my test socket and line socket, causing all kinds of cross connections, drop outs and loss of line speed, and another 2 crossed wires in an extension socket (the one was pc was connected to.
problem fixed.
I have now have stable connection, stable speed and 3x the speed I was getting before! 3Mb instead of 0.9Mb...(not bad as I'm paying for 2Mb...)

I'm happy bunny for the moment. :D