The Loud Checked Suit.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

The Loud Checked Suit.

Post by STEVIE »

This is the title of a story written by an author called David Toulmin who came from North East Scotland and wrote in our dialect "Doric".
The gist is, that a farmworker decides to buy a new suit. He eventually settles on a very bright and vibrant check tweed after much deliberation. The first wearing of the suit is at "The Show", this is the equivalent of a county fair, I guess. The suit has attracted a lot of attention and not all approving. He is a simple labourer, why does he get the idea he can dress like the "Laird"?
The culmination of the story comes when he spots a girl in the crowd wearing a "costume" suit of the same design. Our bold hero, who was married, consulted his wife, who encouraged him to talk to the girl but he never did.
The suit was condemned to oblivion.
I have every reason to believe that this is a biographical episode from the author's life as I have been reliably informed that was how he formed most of his "fiction".
There is some parallel for us, he went out on a limb, in terms of his dress sense. He also effectively shot himself down for it, which I am sure we do too, because of simple fear.
I can't say that I've done justice with my synopsis, to what is actually a superbly readable narrative.
Steve.
I saw some photos of suits that belonged to The Duke of Windsor and one pretty much matched my visualisation of "The LOUD Checked Suit"
It ferly hurt the een.
Steve.