Where did G, S, E & M go?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where did G, S, E & M go?

Post by sapphire »

Boarders? Is that snow, skate or surf? Perhaps a kennel?

LOL
Moderation is for monks. To enjoy life, take big bites.
-------Lazarus Long
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

Sounds like we all need the stool kicked out from under us. Go on...I think it's ABC and watch the game show, "ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER?" We're not. I've yet to see one person win the big bucks. So they had to stand there facing the audience and say.." I AM NOT SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER!!". So far, I would have won twice of the 20 some times I've watched. The last time I watched, one of the questions was "What did the A stand for in the name George A. Custer?" The guy passed on the help from the child and proudly stood there and announced "Andrew". Then he had to face the audience with "I AM NOT SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER" after a 10 year old girl told him it was Armstrong... 8)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

I'm closing this thread because it was heading to a flame war (which I deleted).
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Uncle Al wrote: Sapphire, :mrgreen: You left out British/Scottish English :wink: :mrgreen:

Uncle Al
Duncanville, TX
Um...Scotland IS in Britain, so....?

Uncle Al, I'm going to be slightly naughty and point out one or two errors in spelling and/or punctuation. Before I do so, and lest you think I'm being picky, I totally agree with your premise; it makes sense to me.

Okay...

Typo's - as this is not possessive, would this not be better being written simply in the plural?

there of - should this not be thereof?

I'll stop there (I'm getting picky) before everyone starts analysing my emails, often typed late at night with several glasses of wine to the good! :D All joking apart, I do what I can to ensure that my writing is as good (and communicative) as I can make it; I am reluctant to pull up others unless the errors are persistent and/or numerous. That changes at work, however. I am a consultant; my clients spend thousands of pounds on written advice. I go ballistic when a junior member of staff continues to write in an appalling manner. Of course I express this gently but firmly....the first and second times..!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I think we should start a "Picky speller's sub group" or "SkirtCafe's Thesaurus Rex" so members who "think" they are above reproach could be reproached by other unreproachables.

Or..just open a "Hick English grope" (intentional misspelling of group) for intentional (for humor) misspellings. The first one that comes to mind is "red lighted" so I won't put it here. It's a misspelled rendition of this> What say, I can't hear you, I have a slight infection in my ear, it's alright though, I'll figure it out! Anyone interested in the other version, PM me.

:thewave:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Well, seems the U.S. education system is going the same way as ours. Dunno (is that English?) what that says for World literacy, but seems to be consistent worldwide. Are people being seduced by the ''This is the modern times, and everything is as in the ads, at the push of a button'' syndrome? No personal effort required. Jack.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

Yes Jack, they/we/us/all are getting farther and farther into the basis of a movie that came out about 5 years ago and is getting more and more realistic day by day. It's called "Idiocracy"... :blue:

Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Seconded Hick English Grope (or should that be Gripe?)!
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

It looks like this thread is drifting into a sort of "the world is going to the dogs" complaint, so I'm going to argue the contrary.

I'd like to point out that "incorrect" grammar, spelling, etc., have their place. For one thing, many examples of "incorrect" grammar are simply dialectal variations, and often when people turn their noses up at it, it's simply class prejudice. For another, "errors" in grammer, spelling, etc., are a way to convey several levels of meaning or a flavor that more standard English doesn't.

Finally, grammer, spelling, etc., are but one component of effective communication, and not even the most important. It's not hard to write a paragraph with perfect grammar, spelling, style, etc., that is unreadable or nonsensical -- cf. "travesty generators." And it is possible to write effectively with non-standard spelling and punctuation -- cf. Archy and Mehitabel or E. E. Cummings.
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

Not only that, but I would point out that the history of the English language is one of constant fluidity, change, and evolution. From the eleventh-century vowel shift right up to the inclusion of non-English and technologically-related words in everyday speech, English is mutating and growing to suit the world in which it is spoken. That is what makes it a living language, rather than a static dead language unable to keep up with the pace of the world's change. It isn't spoken the way it used to be; and, much as each generation believes its version of English is "correct", it will keep on changing. Which is why I'm not saying, "I urge ye, good gentlemen, be ye not consumed with strife upon this matter," but, "Hey, guys, relax; let's not have a flame war over English grammar." :-D

Cheers,

Jill
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Since1982 »

I agree with that too. look at all the new words in todays vernacular. "Noone" for instance, a shorter way to say No one, not that it's horribly hard to add a space, but it's an accepted word? or phrase? Sentences like "That door" which could mean "this door" or "that is a door" or "that is dour" or lots of other things nowadays. How about "dose" which could mean an amount of pills or a description of an amount of things, ie: "dose children dere" could mean "Those children there".

A hugely misunderstood word is "da". In Ireland, it's your father, in East Los Angeles it's "the" and in other gang cultures it's got a "t" added and becomes "dat/that". What a brave new world we old farts are facing. All these new exciting words to learn.

Then there's my personal favorite, "Loose", which is used all sorts of new ways. I do tend to backslide and make unfriendly comments when I see "loose" used certain ways, as in "I'm a looser", to which I've been known to reply, YES, you ARE!..Wowie! :twisted:

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:A hugely misunderstood word is "da".
Actually, nyet. "Da", in Russian, means "yes".

And, as long as we're having fun on this thread:
Then there's my personal favorite, "Loose", which is used all sorts of new ways. I do tend to backslide and make unfriendly comments when I see "loose" used certain ways, as in "I'm a looser",
Personally, I really get a hoot out of the confusion of "loose" and "lose". It's one thing to loose the hounds of war; it's something altogether different to lose them.

Hey! Where'd those dogs go? Or, perhaps, "Who let the dogs out?!"

Quoth Jill:
I urge ye, good gentlemen, be ye not consumed with strife upon this matter,
If I wasn't already taken..... (I admit a fondness for ladies who can properly wield the language. That's one of the reasons why I adore Sapphire so much!)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Why not K. I. S. S.?
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID?
Postings in this forum or any other for that fact do not require a degree in English.
Postings are not a thesis to acquire a Doctorate; Masters or Bachelors degree.
My previous post was a satirical humorous poke in the ribs of petty rules about the
use of proper english.
While I do not think the forum is quite ready for text messaging 101. For sure the
next generation is already on the path to passing the speed bump (old farts like
myself) to communicating on the next level. Forums have proliferated immensely in
this electronic internet age but none that I know of require you to use the Oxford
English Dictionary; a thesaurus or any study aid for composition. Simply put we need
to get off the soap box and let people communicate at the level that they feel
comfortable with without researching their post for run-ons, misspellings and the
alike. The querty keyboard is somewhat of an obstacle in itself making it a difficult
task to strike the correct keys to spell the words correctly.
Damn it is hard to have: 'The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs back!"
Enough stated here before I flame the mods or should that be moderators!
rm

Some people may have their feelings hurt here. My feelings were also - something
about making a mountain out of a mole hill!
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Wow. If folks are really taking offence to the joking and kidding that's been undergirding this thread (which has mainly served to point up that the English language isn't dead yet) then I may have to take the step to lock it down. It's been a great vehicle for venting, and folks need to do that from time to time.

Personally, I lament the way that the English language is in a steep downhill spiral towards "Globish", and I hope that my tenure on this third rock out from the sun is short enough so I don't see the final splat as the thing hits bottom, but perhaps I'm just one more old fart that doesn't want to let go of the past.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Inertia
Distinguished Member

Post by Inertia »

I don't believe in the threat of "Globish". Mind you, some say I'm closed-minded because I don't believe in the Singularity, either; but "Globish" appears to be a specific tool for a specific purpose, and one can't live one's entire life with a hammer in one's hand. Sometimes one must put down the hammer and pick up an adze, or a screwdriver, or a laser-probe, or a copy of "Twelfth Night", or some other implement. And Globish forbids the use of humour, so it'll never catch on universally. Humans can't exist that way -- at least, not outside of the more soul-crushing sorts of business meetings.

And if you're an old fart, you're in good company. We rejoice! <raises cup of tea to you>

Cheers,

Jill