First sign of Spring 2023

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

First sign of Spring 2023

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Guys,

I couldn't resist this. MOH was free of very young descendants for a few hours yesterday and she picked these in the garden. Currently our weather is very benign, frost free with Sun and double-digit Celsius temps in the afternoons. Great for dog-walking!

We have a variety of daffs ranging from very early to quite late...into tulip time. These early ones were fully grown and out where she found them.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: First sign of Spring 2023

Post by crfriend »

Nice!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fear i Sciorta Dubh

Post by Fear i Sciorta Dubh »

Hi Tom

Beautiful daffodils. They must be located in a nice south facing part of your garden. We have some in our front garden which is north facing and they have only recently appeared but are still some way off flowering.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi FiSD,
We live low down in a boggy frost-pocket in Co. Kildare but enjoy several acres, about three of which are devoted by my Sasannach wife to her 'Olde Englishe Garden', subdivided into little enclaves labeled 'Rose Garden, Sundial Garden, Pinetum, Kitchen garden, Magic Wood' &c. and there is a fair stand of timber and high hedges , plus structures like a large pergola and fenced-off orchard, poultry run and our fenced & gated acre lake as well, so there are lots of sunny sheltered places for daffs to flourish.
Some 22 years in, for lack of a volunteer army of gardeners the whole place is rapidly becoming an unmanageable jungle before our very eyes, but we love it.
As I have now entered my ninth decade and MOH isn't far behind, we have chopped the place up legally into plots for the progeny based on the sale of the main shack with a couple of acres, so they'll have something left to enjoy or squabble about.

Tom

P.S. We bought our holiday bolthole in Ballinskelligs, Co. Kerry 50 years ago this year. A local resident relation looks in on the place regularly while we aren't there and he reports lots of daffs down there already out. Different climate! T.
Last edited by Kirbstone on Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:17 amAs I have now entered my ninth decade and MOH isn't far behind, we have chopped the place up legally into plots for the progeny based on the sale of the main shack with a couple of acres, they'll have something left to enjoy or squabble about.
Destiny disappoints, but I understand the need for "heading it off" a little bit. Still hoping that you might someday make it once again to the New World so we might meet.

My own affairs are pretty well sewn up in assorted documents and whatnot -- and I'm only in my seventh decade with no clue what the future may hold.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Carl,
While I remain (relatively) fit and active, Boston is at the very top of my 'to do' list, but any trip there will be dictated by my 'Old Collegians' rowers' participation in the Head of the Charles in October. Our next trip there will probably embrace the Schuylkill in Philly as well, as one of our members is a former member of Vesper RC. there.
Recently our group has expanded with the active addition of a strong posse of younger 'Old Collegians' who have been training regularly all last year. Our next big trip will be to the 2023 Euromasters Regatta on the old Olympic course at Munich, but that is in July and may well whet appetites for a crack at the Boston Head later on. We'll see. All these guys are professionals, not skinnt and travel is no problem really.

Right now, after a three year break we are organising our own small 'Liffey Head' through under Dublin's bridges in March and I am actively involved, but it will take a minimum of 66 people to run the thing, with all the modern safety regs.

Tom