Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Kirbstone »

Moon,

I am sorry to read of your father's distress, but you say he has been a life-long chain smoker until recently.

(Med. hat on)...Lungs, which transfer oxygen from the breathed-in air to the bloodstream do so through the areolae, tiny little seperate sacks like bunches of grapes which normally have a very great internal surface area, so oxygen is rapidly talen up.

Smoking introduces carbon monoxide into the lungs daily which over time destroys the internal walls of the areolae, making them fuse into larger sacks with vastly reduced internal surface area and reduced oxygen transfer. This condition is irreversible and is described by Medics as Emphysema.

Alas, there is no cure, but those so affected may gain some help from regular use of an oxygen apparatus, which needs to be at hand wherever they are.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

More good news for smokers: tobacco leaves are slightly sticky, nasties in the air setlle on and stick to the tobacco and the washing process does not remove them all. One of the nasties in the environment that sticks to tobacco is polonium 210, this is one of the major causes of lung cancer and is also the stuff that killed that Russian spy in England a few years back.

Hmmm.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Since we are all family here, I just want you to know for know for the sake of knowing. I'm not fishing for a bunch of oh my and getwell soons. Prayer is always encouraged.

Early Saturday morning (1/15/22) I started getting sick, 48 hours later my wife started getting sick, while we are both very sick, we have not required medical intervention. Covid is certainly a very tough bug. The sickest I've been in 10 years or more. The worst for me is my fever lasted for two days straight. And also nearly migraine intense headaches. If this was a pre Covid society, I probably would have muddled back to work today. (1/19/22) But because of all the isolation rules in the workforce. Im unable to go back to work until sometime next week. After seeing how easily it spreads, that is reasonable to follow.
Lack of pay sucks, but I figure I'll take it easy, but try to get some projects done in the house, cleaning and organizing and such.

Our mode of tackling this suck y sickness has been a host of vitamins, Zican. zinc, vitamin C, D, elderberry syrup, minerals, turmeric and essential oils. And hot herbal teas.
In case you were wondering we DID NOT get the Jab. That should always remain a personal choice.

I certainly feel for people that have lost people to this bug. I have never seen a more varied illness from. "Am I Sick???? To "there is nothing we can do, better make funeral plans" I know both.

In any case I'm still glad we are green side up.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:02 am In any case I'm still glad we are green side up.
And you just keep your ass on this side of the ground... remember big guy, you promised me a coffee on your porch one day!

Or maybe it was a beer... shoot I can't remember! :wink:

Ah, just a sweet tea will do fine... I reckon y'all Hoosiers know how to make southern sweet tea right??

Seriously friend, take care of yourself. We're keeping you in our thoughts. Keep us posted! I'm sure you'll be fine, most people beat this thing.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Mishawakaskirt

I have no sympathy. You brought this on yourself. Not getting vaccinated has consequences.

When millions die and the impact on those who have serious ailments is huge (no operations / treatment at hospital because the unvaccinated idiots have clogged up the system), then the vaccine should be mandatory. It’s not about the individual - it’s about the wider good of society.

That said, I hope you both get better - and reflect on your personal choices. I won’t pray for you because there are no gods. I hope you understand.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:02 am Since we are all family here, I just want you to know for know for the sake of knowing. I'm not fishing for a bunch of oh my and getwell soons. Prayer is always encouraged.

I certainly feel for people that have lost people to this bug. I have never seen a more varied illness from. "Am I Sick???? To "there is nothing we can do, better make funeral plans" I know both.

In any case I'm still glad we are green side up.
How are you feeling?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:57 pmHow are you feeling?
Indeed.

I hope you're on the mend and that your significant other is not too adversely affected.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Just... be cautious. COVID can go from okish to really bad in a surprisingly short amount of time - if you can keep tabs on your oxygen levels do so. Also, just because omicron is out there and "less deadly" does not mean the threat of Delta is gone completely.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Also, at least in the US, the flu has been hitting people hard - even those who got the flu vaccine. One of my family members was sick with flu for a week, and they got all the jabs.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Ray wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:31 am Mishawakaskirt

I have no sympathy. You brought this on yourself. Suck it up. Inaction has consequences.

When millions die and the impact on those who have serious ailments is huge (no operations / treatment at hospital because the unvaccinated idiots have clogged up the system), then the vaccine should be mandatory. It’s not about the individual - it’s about the wider good of society.

That said, I hope you both get better - and reflect on your personal choices. I won’t pray for you because there are no gods. I hope you understand.

Ray this is the first time I will disagree with you in how you responded.

I get you're for everyone being vaccinated as I'm for the shot but why so mean spirited? We can't force anyone to get vaccines as much as we try it's still their choice.We seriously don't know his reasons of why he hasn't gotten the shot and just being a dick about it really doesn't serve a purpose for making them change their minds.

Secondly you may not believe in God that's your choice not to I do and I still wish him and his wife a speedy recovery.

If the roles were reversed and it was you I would still want the same for you Ray.

Just my two cents worth.

I wish you a great evening or morning whichever it is for you.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Hi Jenn.

I did wish him a full recovery.

I don’t wish ill on him, but sympathy? No. Sorry. I reserve my sympathy for those who deserve it. I know that may sound harsh.

I think vaccines should be mandatory. It prevents deaths and virus mutations. France is doing the right thing by blocking the unvaccinated from cinemas, restaurants etc. Extraordinary times require extraordinary actions.

I have no time for those who wish not to be vaccinated (other than for medical etc reasons).

Finally, I’m not suggesting others don’t pray. I just find it a bit pointless - and I’m uncomfortable with open talk of religion. It’s not something you do in my country.

I hope that helps you understand where I’m coming from. I appreciate that you may still disagree with me, Jenn.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Ray wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:28 am Hi Jenn.

I did wish him a full recovery.

I don’t wish ill on him, but sympathy? No. Sorry. I reserve my sympathy for those who deserve it. I know that may sound harsh.

I think vaccines should be mandatory. It prevents deaths and virus mutations. France is doing the right thing by blocking the unvaccinated from cinemas, restaurants etc. Extraordinary times require extraordinary actions.

I have no time for those who wish not to be vaccinated (other than for medical etc reasons).

Finally, I’m not suggesting others don’t pray. I just find it a bit pointless - and I’m uncomfortable with open talk of religion. It’s not something you do in my country.

I hope that helps you understand where I’m coming from. I appreciate that you may still disagree with me, Jenn.

I do understand Ray.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hey, taking the vaccine is a personal choice and, while I have no sympathy for those that don't and get ill, or even die, as long as they don't spread anti-vaccine propaganda then it's their choice and I won't call them out. There are an increasing number of unvaccinated that contract Covid and succumb that point to the effectiveness of the vaccine. It's not perfect and there are, fortunately, rare complications but at the moment until there are better medications it's the best that we have.

BTW, much as I disagree with your stance I hope that you both make a successful recovery.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I, too, hope for successful recoveries. Because I now seem to have a dog involved in this fight; my lady-friend in Savannah has contracted the dratted thing again in spite of having had it once and being fully vaccinated -- and she's sick with it again.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this is going to turn into the next generation of "common cold" but with potentially lethal consequences, unlike the "common cold" which is also caused by a coronavirus. Of note is that we still can't cure the "common cold". Nor, really, influenza because the variability of strains is so high.

I'd like to think we had a chance, but whatever that chance may have been I fear it's now lost.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

So I have discovered a bit of interesting information since they found the masses in my spinal fluid. I am on several forums with people who are calling themselves longhaulers. The term means that Covid still leaves them with side effects long after the fever etc. are gone. There are many people who now have masses in their spinal fluid after having Covid. Some considered Covid as the culprit and some did not. I also just foudn this article. Keep in mind as you read the article that they did two spinal taps on me and my protein count was over 250%.
One of the doctors that did this study is a Neurologist. I plan on contacting her.

https://kdvr.com/news/coronavirus/covid ... og-causes/