Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Coder »

Basically, where I work they require masks regardless of vaxx status due to delta, they feel it’s spreadable enough that vaxx/no vaxx, they need them in the classrooms and now everywhere. There’s also the immunocompromised/under 12 argument - people who cannot be vaccinated - to help reduce spread. And the elderly who’s immunity might be waning (though boosters are now recommended for them).

Personally, I’d like to see more research surrounding antibody count and immunity - that is a blood test to help determine whether you actually need a booster or not. Early research seemed to suggest that the better the initial response the better the outcome, but I haven’t seen anything since. Obviously the need for a test is not as great, but for certain patient profiles it would be useful. I know for my parents, at their last yearly checkup the blood test included an antibody panel of some sort and it showed that they got the shot. But it wasn’t a useful result - that is it couldn’t yet tell them whether they needed the booster or not.

The reason to hold back on boosters - if they are unnecessary that jab could be given to someone else who needs it locally, or sent abroad. Even if I get mild covid because I didn’t boost up, that’s fine - as long as it doesn’t land me in the hospital or with long covid.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

I hope we don't get hung up on antibody counts. Your body does not continuously produce lots of antibodies for every disease you've ever encountered, that would be extraordinarily wasteful. You'd expect them to wane over time. What should happen is that when you get infected your body needs to start producing them again, fast enough to outrun the infection.

In practice its really hard to determine your immunity level for any particular disease. The immune system is a complicated beast, it doesn't come with a helpful API you can query.

My opinion is that booster shots are money machines for pharmaceutical companies and will refuse them, unless someone comes up with really compelling evidence. I'm not in a high-risk category to start with, and there's still billions of people who have got zero shots.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Well, my old adopted hometown to the west has just returned to Mask Madness with mandates and whatnot. Fortunately, they don't seem to be taking it particularly seriously as I did not have mine with me at the time so could not don it and did not get hassled. However, I may decide to watch the situation and avoid my old stomping ground if it persists -- which it likely will.

We had a brilliant shining moment of possibility in this -- the brass ring there to be seized -- and we threw it away. Opportunity lost. I hate those.

So, thanks largely to the socially irresponsible this damned thing will now mutate into the next "flu". I'm waiting for the Omega variant, and then, if the planet is lucky, the Andromeda Strain.

Done. Finis. I have simply had it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Around here the only people who wear mask are people on the clock. Virtually all employers are requiring them of their employees.

So like everything else, if you are a wage earner, you have to play along with these silly little games.

But not when it's Miller time.
crfriend wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:58 pm We had a brilliant shining moment of possibility in this -- the brass ring there to be seized -- and we threw it away. Opportunity lost. I hate those.
Honestly, did you really expect any different?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:21 amHonestly, did you really expect any different?
I was hoping. I guess I should really give that behaviour up.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Another article on an anti-vaxxer that has died of the virus. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ca ... li=BBoPWjQ

How sad that someone with so much life ahead of her should literally throw it away.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:17 am Another article on an anti-vaxxer that has died of the virus. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ca ... li=BBoPWjQ

How sad that someone with so much life ahead of her should literally throw it away.
Well she ain't free thinkin' anymore.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:17 amHow sad that someone with so much life ahead of her should literally throw it away.
To crib the line from the knight in "Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail", "She chose poorly."

I wonder how many she took with her -- both directly and indirectly.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Here's an article about how much the virus could mutate. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment ... li=BBoPWjQ. I hope that they are right.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Mom called me today. A friend of hers who was in her 40's died of covid-19. Apparently she has been diagnosed for about three weeks, however decided not to seek medical treatment. They found her with her head laying across the kitchen table. Her father is also infected and I believe he is in the hospital fighting for his life. Other people living in the household are also sick.

None have taken the vaccine. Religious reasons are speculated to be the reason.

At this level, covid can't be blamed for destroying families and lives. We have a real solution. 50% of the population have convinced themselves that the solution is not in their best interest. They gamble their lives.

What a hill to die on...

What a hill to -literally- die on...

What a waste.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:50 amWe have a real solution. 50% of the population have convinced themselves that the solution is not in their best interest.
Or have been convinced. This is why I try to step on misinformation when I see it.
What a waste.
Indeed.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

But remember, the key takeaway.

Covid can no longer be blamed for destroying our way of life.

We've had a solution since late last year.

Once again, as with virtually everything else, we [humans] are our own worst enemy.
-Andrea
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I note that the hotspots are frequently where religion is strong. This may suggest that Covid is adversely hitting believers in Creationism.

How ironic, then, that Darwinism is flourishing in such areas.

Over 3,000 dead in 24 hours in the US. That’s going to thin out the anti-vaxxers out somewhat. That’s their choice. They will get to see their god sooner than they thought.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

.....and as the late Dave Allen said at the end of each of his comedy shows....'May your God go with you'.

He met his a tad early at just 73. I expect the fags & the booze hastened that for him, somewhat.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Ray wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:17 pm Over 3,000 dead in 24 hours in the US. That’s going to thin out the anti-vaxxers out somewhat. That’s their choice. They will get to see their god sooner than they thought.
I was trying to get this point across to a friend of mine - we share the same belief system (mostly), and politics... but I feel COVID is a threat and while not perfect, the vaccine is the best shot we have at a preventative. If it was a depopulation tool, or whatever, the democrat's wouldn't be pushing it on their population, they'd be pushing it on the red states only. Plus, it was Trump's vaccine, not Biden's, and it was Kamala who originally floated the idea of not taking it. But the minute she's VP, it's totally fine. Unfortunately both parties politicized COVID, and we get screwed in the process.