I Don't Get This

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

I Don't Get This

Post by Stu »

This is a story which mentions a 16-year-old lad coming out as gay by attending his school prom in a ballgown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... dress.html

I am struggling to understand his motivation. If he wanted to come out as trans, for example, I would see the logic in that and I would say he looks great - but in what way does him turning up in full female garb and make-up signify that he is gay? What if another young man decided to wear a dress in the future; would people hereafter interpret that as meaning he is also gay? What is the connection between coming out as a homosexual and wearing a ballgown?

Sorry, but I find this quite confusing.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I Don't Get This

Post by Fred in Skirts »

After reading the article it is very apparent that neither he nor his mother really understand what he is. Of course the news rag really needs to stop making assumptions of how clothes and gender/sex of an individual have any bearing on what an individual is.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

My assumption is, that Linkedin removed the pictures as, what I understand, linkedin is intended for business networking.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I have known quite a number of gay males over the past 40 odd years or so and they have been as diverse and varied as any other cross section of the general population.
However, in all that time I have never been aware of any of them wearing any overtly feminine clothing.
I would even say that some probably did not appreciate my motivation to wear skirts and dresses,
I think that perhaps, the lad's age is a telling factor and he is still very much in the exploratory stage of his life.
If he ends up happy and content in his own skin, so much the better for him.
He certainly looked as if he could carry off that dress but nothing to do with his sexuality at all.
It rather reminds me of the American boy who got the grief from a bigot a while back, he was with his boyfriend too.
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, as for being gay, he's probably not going to attract many gay men wearing that. He's basically a passable woman at that point. Probably going attract more straight boys... that is until they check under the hood.

Meh... whatever floats his boat.

I don't understand why these stories continue to make headlines, especially since LinkedIn reinstated the photos, and like Gusto pointed out, why LinkedIn?

Is he hoping for a gig on the cover of Cosmopolitan? :?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Some North-country expressions come to mind:

'There's nowt so queer as Folk', and 'Aah blame thu paarents,really'. Research would probably reveal that the mother had no daughter and actively encouraged her son to dress up as one, presumably allowing him grow his hair out & have it 'femm' styled. At age 16 he's prob. not into contacts yet, but he could well ditch those nerd-specs. Also, that style of dress presumes the presence of boobies to hold it in place, and he has none....yet!

As he's gay and not 'trans.', presumably he doesn't want anything chopped off, either. Verse 2 of Percy French's song 'The Mountains of Mourne' reads:

'I believe that in writing, you wished to express, How the lovely fine ladies in London-are dressed
Well if you'll believe me, when asked to a Ball, Faith they don't wear a top-to their dresses, at all,
I've seen 'em meself, and I could not in truth , say if they're bound for a ball, or a Bauth!
Don't be startin' them fashions, now Mary mo-chree (My heart), where the Mountains of Mourne, sweep down to the Sea.

I suspect he's just doing what his Mammy tells him, still.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Gusto10 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:36 pm My assumption is, that Linkedin removed the pictures as, what I understand, linkedin is intended for business networking.
Yes, linkedin is a pretentious sort of face book. They might have deleted the post because of the mother's plunging neckline.
They should just close their linkedin account ........... but that is not easy, it took me months including having to make phonecalls. Then stop reading the Daily Mail. It is all storm in a teacup stuff.
Justin is just being Justin. A complex arrangement of individual traits like we all are and like we all should freely express, so long as it doesn't harm anyone.
The only time someone should be put in a box is at the end of their life, and that too should be optional.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

denimini wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:31 am
Gusto10 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:36 pm My assumption is, that Linkedin removed the pictures as, what I understand, linkedin is intended for business networking.
A complex arrangement of individual traits like we all are and like we all should freely express, so long as it doesn't harm anyone.
The only time someone should be put in a box is at the end of their life, and that too should be optional.
A grand philosophical way of frasing it.