Offering a sincere apology...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Offering a sincere apology...

Post by dillon »

...to the Nation of Denmark, on behalf of the majority of Americans. We realize that you were caught by surprise by the idea proposed by our President to buy Greenland. We apologize that he came out with the half-baked concept before he even understood the correct territorial status of Greenland. One might expect any rational, responsible leader to research that before opening his mouth. But we Americans don’t live in rational times any more. So it’s perfectly natural that the Danes, as did most Americans, and, apparently most of the White House staff, would think that proposal was a bizarre joke.

We also apologize for the thin skin of our President, and for his causing your government to expend thousands of hours of preparation for his state visit, only for him to cancel it because he became , in American lingo, “butt-hurt” by the world’s laughter. Also, we assume you understood that when Donald Trump said you disrespected America, he meant that you offended Donald Trump. But it’s almost understandable; no man cares to have a spotlight shown upon his intellectual deficiencies, even though one would rightly expect a President to be a big enough man to rise above personal feelings for the benefit of a longstanding alliance. The American People have not forgotten that Denmark came to our aid after 9/11, and that you lost 46 soldiers in Afghanistan. For that faithful friendship, we offer gratitude and appreciation.

We also apologize for our President’s offensive remarks toward Prime Minister Frederiksen. The American People don’t think she is “nasty.” “Nasty” is simply the word a petty, insecure, and marginally-literate man habitually applies to any woman he can’t control.

The American People appreciate our long alliance and partnership with Denmark, and ask you to forgive our current national lapse of reason. For the good of our nation, and the world, we will do our best to make it as brief as possible.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Offering a sincere apology...

Post by oldsalt1 »

Who the hell died and made you spokesman for America.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just a few points

in 1947 President Truman offered the Danish government 100 million in gold for the Island

Americas first thoughts of purchasing Greenland date back to the 1860's about the same time as the purchase of Alaska

Do you think it was also crude to buy Alaska

Greenland's national sovereignty and defense are the responsibility of Denmark This would mean it falls under the protection of the Royal Danish Navy
At present the Royal Danish Navy has a total of 3 active ships

20 % of the Greenland's national budget is derived from rents received from the US for rental of its military base

How about the islands strategic location for the protection of the northern shipping routes

On a different blog a snide comment was made that I should do some reading on the subject before I post. Maybe those so quick to attack President Trump should also
do some reading.

One additional thought on a different channel the Danish government is seeking to have the US increase its military presence in Greenland
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I think the USA should mind its own business and not seek to acquire other territory that doesn’t belong to it. The country has plenty of internal issues that are rather more important.

It’s regrettable that the president acted in this manner; his language about the head of another sovereign state was that of a petulant child, unbecoming of a country’s leader.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

So Ray does minding our own business mean we should abandon our military base . The rent from which represents 20%of the countries national budget .

Sorry I confused the Danish navy with the dutch navy.
Last edited by oldsalt1 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Denmark has no serious enemies. They like the rent payments, though. Paranoia pays, and the USA has plenty of enemies.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I don't think the Royal Danish Navy needs the ships of the Royal Dutch Navy. If asked the Dutch will help nevertheless.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... Navy_ships
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Defence
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Come on Dan, show a sense of humour. It was a well written little piece of prose on the Trump attempt to display some tongue in cheek humour. The trouble is that Trump isn't particularly good at humour. I thought it amusing and uses an old form of sarcasm that we Brits are particularly adept. Our MP's are displaying ridiculously bad treatment of Brexit at the moment compounded by European intransigence. It'll get sorted.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

It's all a distraction. The real issue is over Hans Island, which is part of Canada, but which Denmark claims for itself. Denmark, with a population the size of metropolitan Toronto; yes, that Denmark. Full marks for moxie, Danes!

The legal disposition of Hans Island, which is situated between Canada and Greenland, affects the very serious issue of control over arctic access to the Northwest Passage. Canada is in a better position to put up a toll gate and collect the fees than Denmark is, but the Danes persist.

The issue is escalating, with both navies involved. According to the Wikipedia article "In 1984, the Danish Minister for Greenland planted the Danish flag on the Island and left a little message saying "Velkommen til den danske ø" (English: Welcome to the Danish Island). It is also said he left a bottle of brandy, however this seems to have been Schnapps, which unlike brandy is a traditional Danish spirit. The Canadians have reciprocated with their own sign, the flag of Canada and a bottle of Canadian Club.

Escalation to a full case of Molson's remains an option for Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Island

P.S. I have heard that U.S. Secretary of State William Seward actually tried to tweet his intention to seek the purchase of Alaska from the Russian Empire, but in those days there was no Twitter so he actually floated the idea in the usual government and diplomatic channels first, before publically announcing it.
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:Escalation to a full case of Molson's remains an option for Canada.
A bit of warning, please, Sir before "dropping the big one". I had a mouthful of Bass Ale at the moment I read that and the results were bordering on disastrous.

If the matter is that simple, I'll raise the pot to a two-four of Moosehead and a sixer of Arrogant Bastard from "south of the border" so I can claim the spot for a small town in Massachusetts I call home.
P.S. I have heard that U.S. Secretary of State William Seward actually tried to tweet his intention to seek the purchase of Alaska from the Russian Empire, but in those days there was no Twitter so he actually floated the idea in the usual government and diplomatic channels first, before publically announcing it.
Posts like this are why I stay aboard here.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote:The trouble is that Trump isn't particularly good at humour.
Well, you know what they say... "evil company corrupts good habits!"
watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

oldsalt1 wrote:Who the hell died and made you spokesman for America.
Please note I indicated “the majority of Americans.” That represents the proportion of the electorate that voted AGAINST the current occupant of the White House. In 2016 that was about 2.8 million MORE Americans than voted for Trump ; today that proportion is likely substantially greater. You simply have the misfortune of backing an “EC-only” President.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Daryl wrote:It's all a distraction. The real issue is over Hans Island.../...It is also said he left a bottle of brandy, however this seems to have been Schnapps, which unlike brandy is a traditional Danish spirit. The Canadians have reciprocated with their own sign, the flag of Canada and a bottle of Canadian Club.

A baby seal walked into a bar. The bartender said “Hi...what’ll you have?” To which the seal replied “Anything but a Canadian Club...” :shock: :eye:
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

dillon wrote:
Daryl wrote:It's all a distraction. The real issue is over Hans Island.../...It is also said he left a bottle of brandy, however this seems to have been Schnapps, which unlike brandy is a traditional Danish spirit. The Canadians have reciprocated with their own sign, the flag of Canada and a bottle of Canadian Club.

A baby seal walked into a bar. The bartender said “Hi...what’ll you have?” To which the seal replied “Anything but a Canadian Club...” :shock: :eye:
O.M.G. :lol:
Daryl...
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

dillon wrote:

Oof!