Why men don't wear skirts ...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
CJFMix

Why men don't wear skirts ...

Post by CJFMix »

+ 6 other articles on the subject !!!

http://www.helium.com/tm/625435/quite-i ... ts-reason1

............................................................................................

In my short 51 years of age , I have never come accross such narrow-minded people !!! Their arguments are fiction from their imagination !!!

How come , in the 21st century , there is such stupid people ???
When you look good , you can go anywhere !!!
shropshire steve

Post by shropshire steve »

·He seems to immediately go for wearing a short dress and the other articles seem to go straight for short skirts. Are they just playing into male fantasies about mini skirts? Half the issues raised all seemed to revolve around the fact that they were wearing a skirt or dress to short for them.

·He seems to go on a lot about the problems he had with his private parts – boasting again! Was he going commando? For myself, if I am going to wear a skirt less than about 22” long, then it needs to be with leggings, tights or under shorts that if exposed would not be too much of a problem.

·The whole issue of sitting with legs apart or together does not arise if you wear a kilt or a longer skirt that ends a least a few inches below the knee when seated.

·Men’s legs don’t look nice? Well tough, there are lots of things in life that do not look so good, get used to them and look at the things you do like. I for one have no intention of telling the fairly tough looking men around here who wear shorts even in cold weather that I do not like their hairy legs!

·He seemed to go into this with the underlying premise of proving that skirts for men are wrong and thereby perpetuating the social code of no skirts for men. He seems to be looking for some justification beyond the ones in his opening remarks as to why he should not wear a skirt. Whereas in fact all his practical objections are completely bogus and he is shown up as completely bought in to the reasons he gave in his opening remarks. Hoisted on his own petard of fear and prejudice I would say.
shropshire steve
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

An interesting series of articles. Not all entirely negative and the objections seem to be mainly related to skirts which are too short. The reply by Artemis appears to have been written by a woman - she suggests that a skirt would make a man's genitalia too warm, resulting infertility. I think the opposite is the case - squashed genitalia inside tight trousers surely can't be healthy. :D
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Rebuttal

Post by JRMILLER »

Hi,
I posted a rebuttal, hope I represented our group well.

http://www.helium.com/tm/677062/skirt-w ... rd-happily
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

A reason for men not wearing skirts is because of their hairy legs??? Try shaving them - like the women are exhorted to do by the TV adverts.

Thanks for posting JR, your reply is in sharp contrast to the strange logic employed by some of the posters on that board.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
alexthebird
Distinguished Member

Post by alexthebird »

Charlie wrote:A reason for men not wearing skirts is because of their hairy legs???
Charlie
You know what's always bothered me? Why are hairy legs peeking out from under a skirt objectionable but not hairy legs peeking out from under a pair of shorts?
crfriend
Master Barista

Fur.

Post by crfriend »

Why are hairy legs peeking out from under a skirt objectionable but not hairy legs peeking out from under a pair of shorts?
I don't think it's the mere presence of hair on the legs that's "objectionable", but rather the consistency. A good thick pelt can probably look OK. It's not my cup of tea, but it might work from an intellectual viewpoint. What I think does not work is thin patchy hair; that just looks awkward and mangy. I suffer from the latter, which is why I shave 'em.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

At the risk of upsetting people here (not my intention)...
alexthebird wrote:You know what's always bothered me? Why are hairy legs peeking out from under a skirt objectionable but not hairy legs peeking out from under a pair of shorts?
[Contentious mode]Because some people, even here, seem to think that to wear a skirt you have to comply with the same fashion tyrannies as women do. Therefore to wear a skirt you "must":

-> shave your legs
-> wear narrow ("sleek") shoes, even though your feet may be broad
-> manicure your fingers, even though you're a car mechanic
-> make sure you don't have nasty hairy male arms
and so on...

Folks, if you want to do those things, that's great, go ahead with my blessing. But please don't tell others what they must do, there are enough fashion police in the world already.

I agree that a co-ordinated look is more to my taste than clothes that are just thrown together, but in all honesty how do most men (and many women) dress? They throw together whatever happens to be comfortable or convenient with no regard for the overall look. Does that really have to change to wear a skirt as a guy? Why?*

This forum is about wearing skirts as men, so why try to ape women? Learning from skirt wearers (of any gender) is good but copying and / or imitating may not be the right thing to do.[/Contentious mode]

Have fun,

Ian.

* Yes I'd like to see people in general take more pride in their appearances but that is my preference, not something that people should be compelled to do.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
shropshire steve

Re: Rebuttal

Post by shropshire steve »

[quote="JRMILLER"]Hi,
I posted a rebuttal, hope I represented our group well.

Excellent, well presented, well argued, many thanks for posting this reply.
shropshire steve
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

cessna152towser wrote:An interesting series of articles. Not all entirely negative and the objections seem to be mainly related to skirts which are too short. The reply by Artemis appears to have been written by a woman - she suggests that a skirt would make a man's genitalia too warm, resulting infertility. I think the opposite is the case - squashed genitalia inside tight trousers surely can't be healthy. :D
What about driving many hours in pants? If that's not restrictive?
give me a skirt anyday when driving. Don't look surprised if high sitting people, men in trucks look strangely, confused down at you. :?

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

alexthebird wrote:
Charlie wrote:A reason for men not wearing skirts is because of their hairy legs???
Charlie
You know what's always bothered me? Why are hairy legs peeking out from under a skirt objectionable but not hairy legs peeking out from under a pair of shorts?
You're right, but who says we're happy with the sight of hairy legs under shorts? If it suits the whole picture, great. Why not.
I think hairy legs are less elegant when wearing anything other than pure "manly" skirts. So then the wearers mostly shave or wear tights.

Women with hairy legs are also not that nice to see. Doesn't suit the whole picture. Like a woman in an evening gown, with desert army boots. :?

We talk about skirts, but always it's the whole picture that is taken in account.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

[quote="Milfmog"]At the risk of upsetting people here (not my intention)...

Folks, if you want to do those things, that's great, go ahead with my blessing. But please don't tell others what they must do, there are enough fashion police in the world already.

This forum is about wearing skirts as men, so why try to ape women? Learning from skirt wearers (of any gender) is good but copying and / or imitating may not be the right thing to do.[/Contentious mode]

Have fun,
Ian.

Yes, Milfmog, I agree, but it is not nessesarily aping women, I would call it dressing well, or appropriately. You can't ape a woman, they wear everything. Wearing a skirt could also be aping women, but I know what you mean.

What you can do, as a man, manly or femme, is dress correctly, pay some attention to the look you want to present. This will enhance you a lot. The amount of attention being your choice at the moment, or the venue you are to visit. We don't always wear a suit and tie, or just a worn out denim pants and torn t shirt. Dress for the occasion, as you want to present your self. People who take more time and attention to detail generally look smarter than those who just throw something on. But spend more time in front of the mirror. Personal choice. Skirts not so manly, are generally worn by men who want to be neatly dressed, but not particularly bound to look manly. ( how do you look manly) So they will have more neater, going out outfits. That doesn't mean aping women.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Most of these issues are easily addressed.

Hairy legs- shave you damn legs, or wear tight or hose, or do both.

The sperm production thing - BFD. First off the effect is not permanent, Second, I think it is mostly a myth, in the 70 men wore tight jeans that crushed certain parts, look at the population growth of that period.

Short skirts take skill to wear, so dummies don't wear them:). Just kidding.

The articles were just ignorant, but suprisingly supportive of the idea of men gaining the freedom to wear skirts. Things are shifting.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Bare legs vs. covered legs.

Post by AMM »

crfriend wrote:
Why are hairy legs peeking out from under a skirt objectionable but not hairy legs peeking out from under a pair of shorts?
I don't think it's the mere presence of hair on the legs that's "objectionable", but rather the consistency. A good thick pelt can probably look OK. It's not my cup of tea, but it might work from an intellectual viewpoint.
To add another personal opinion to the stew:

I don't see anything objectionable in bare, legs, regardless of the degree of hairiness or whether under a skirt or shorts. But there is a question of appropriateness.

To me (generally speaking), bare legs (whether hairy or not) on men are casual; if I want to look more dressed up, I cover them. This applies whether I'm going bifurcated or unbifurcated. So:

Bifurcated casual = shorts with crew socks or bare feet and sandals, or trousers without socks.
Bifurcated formal/dressed-up = (long) trousers and socks and (closed) shoes.

Unbifurcated casual = skirt (especially if short) with bare legs or short socks, sandals or bare feet.
Unbifurcated formal/dressed-up = long skirt with socks or short(er) skirt with covered legs (e.g., knee socks or opaque tights) with closed shoes. For instance, bare knees on a man are automatically casual.

In my perspective, sheer stockings/tights are in the same category as bare legs, but a bit "racier."

Kilts and women's wear follow somewhat different "rules," because there are already social rules for them.

And, of course, ultimately, it all comes down to the total look: I'm sure someone will come up with a bare-kneed (non-kilt) outfit for men that is unquestionably dressy.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

After reading that piece, I couldn't help but chuckle at a few of those inaccurate assertions, most notably:
1. Hair on the legs
Women's legs are beautiful. Smooth. Men's legs are not. They're so hairy. Wearing skirts will only reveal that awful part, that is not to be seen.
Are you kidding me? I've seen women with just as much hair on their legs as men, and they look like they've never seen a razor in their lives. And not all women have beautiful legs either, in my past as a crossdresser, I've seen men with attractive legs that most women would kill for!
3. They want to move freely
Women are somewhat restricted when wearing skirts. Men don't want the restriction. They don't care how they sit and they don't want to mind it. While for women, they don't need to move too freely in many situations. Minding how we sit will make us look elegant. Remember how we usually tidy our skirt before sitting? That's beautiful, elegant and feminine. How if a man does it? It'll be awful and disgusting.
Another wrong viewpoint. Not every skirt sold is restrictive, case in point, A-line skirts, pleated skirts, below the knee skirts, all of which allow both genders to move freely. And for the record, I've seen women who've sat with their legs spread out and looking decidedly unfeminine. What a load of crap! This Artemis sounds like a biased whackjob to me!