Short Skirts and Comfort

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Short Skirts and Comfort

Post by AMM »

Now that Spring is coming, at least here in the Northern Hemisphere (eat your heart out, Aussies and Kiwis!), a skirt-wearing man's heart turns to thoughts of -- short skirts!

I find that if a skirt is shorter than "kilt length", and I sit down, parts of me come in contact with the seat that are accustomed to only contacting the inside of my clothing. The problem is exacerbated if I am going commando in a short skirt (something I so far only try at home.) No matter how I tug and shift the back of the skirt, it still doesn't fully cover my backside, not to mention certain other things, even though the front hem is over my knees.

Short in this case is something like 20 inches from the waist (21 in back.)

Kilt length (22/23 inches) is better, but I still have to do a lot of adjusting and I still have to sit on the edge of my chair.

What do other MIS's do to deal with this?

-- AMM
Thanks for all the fish.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I've a 21" kilt and no matter how carefully I sweep it forward I still get bare leg on the seat. If the seat is warm, no problem. If it is cold, or worse still, metal, it's a question of enduring or perching on the edge of the seat. Or spreading your coat on the seat :) A 23" kilt just about eliminates the problem.

If I'm unfortunate to still be in trousers, I just ogle and envy the girls in their short skirts :drool: :shifty: :badlaugh: :wink2: :cloudnine: :crazyeyes

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
G.Shaw

More Short Skirts

Post by G.Shaw »

I love my short skirts (Count: 7). They generally come about 1/2 the way from hip to knee on me or about 15-17 inches. (that's 38-43 cm for you folks that don't use inches.) The reason I wear the mini-skirts is that it gets hot in Florida.

My problem is I'm a skinny guy with a bubble butt. Thus I have the 'bare' seat problem as well. It only bothers me with my desk chair as it is cheap imitation leather. I generally also go commando but only with the longer of the mini-skirts. Bending down is natural for me to bend my knees and hips so that I don't show stuff that my kids really don't need to see. :shifty: The honest truth is that I would rather have and wear an light fabric A-line or pleated skirt as the airflow is better. Mostly because I can wear a slightly longer more modest skirt and still be comfortably cool.

Since I live in Florida I tend to wear shorter skirts about 9 of 12 months a year. Only at home not when I'm out and about. :cheer:

Greg
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I tend to wear knee-length, but do vary the weight of said garment, depending on the temperature. Other times, I'm too lazy and decide to just wear a kilt or utilikilt. At least, today, I was smart enough to pair said utilikilt with a pair of white sheer knee-highs and my athletic shoes... Got up almost to 97 deg F. Wool or cotton would've been too warm.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

AMM wrote:What do other MIS's do to deal with [short skirt "problems"]?
For one, I suppose a lot of it comes down to how your geometry is set up. I'm quite thin and my backside isn't large so I can usually get away with fairly short skirts without too much grief. Yes, occasionally skin does touch chairs and barstools (I wear underthings so *that's* not an issue), and if that happens I either "perch on the edge" or just ignore the problem. I also make sure I do a really good job of sweeping (what there is of) the skirt under my backside as I sit down.

The absolute shortest I can even remotely get away with is about 13 or 14 inches; I find my 17" minis are just about perfect.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I'm the same as crfriend - being skinny with a small bony arse (I paraphrase here . . :) ) - so in general do not get a problem sitting while wearing short skirts. As I am usually wearing leggings or tights, I would not really notice if the skirt rode up enough so that my backside was directly on the seat. I'm more concerned with the front of the skirt riding up - and that's what I keep an eye on when I sit down - so I'm quite careful about it.

The shortest skirts that I regularly wear are 12 inches, although I am rather more relaxed in those of my skirts that are 13 or 14 inches in length. My longest skirt (new this week!) is 16 inches long. They are all great and it depends on my mood or where I am going as to which length I would wear.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
binx
Member Extraordinaire

I'm not skinny, but

Post by binx »

Pun intended:) My 18" original UKs work great for being modest, at about 2-3" above the knee. I recenly bought some cheap clearance full length elastic-waisted skirts with slash pockets from Lane Bryant (BTW they have the same in a crinkled tiered skirt on sale for about $7) I cut them short, to about the same length, but leave the back longer. Since they are long originally, and the fabric is shirt-like, there is plenty of material to pull forward when sitting to make it modest as well.

binx
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I rarely go anywhere that I expect to sit in a skirt less than 23" in length *. This is not so much an issue of the back of my legs coming into contact with the seat as concern about how much is on show at the front. I find that I simply can not sit in a short skirt without the lump in the front of my underwear being on display. I am happy to go out and about in a short 15" skirt (definitely a mini on me) if I'm walking, standing or shopping but would not go to the pub or even a cinema dressed that way.

Have fun,

Ian.

* Sitting in the car is the obvious exception to this, though short skirts demand real care when getting in or out if I am to avoid frightening the natives.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Milfmog:
This link is especially for you.
But then again maybe not.
Perhaps you have seen it before.
After reading your post I think you will enjoy it anyway.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-get ... r-knickers

Regards;
r.m.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Thanks for the link RM.

I have seen it before and I reckon I make a far better job of getting in and out of a car without showing my underwear to the world than the girl in the video clip does. Then again, large parts of our population will probably find her underwear far more interesting than mine :)

The issue I have with short skirts is that when seated my "dangly bits" tend to either fall between my thighs so that knees together becomes uncomfortable or they sort of sit on top of my thighs allowing me to keep my knees together but leaving the underwear lumps in view to anyone who decides to look. I have spent some time investigating different ways of sitting with chairs of different heights and a full length mirror and simply find that skirts shorter than the top of my knees tend to show off more than I'm comfortable with while I'm sat down.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

I brush the skirt under me with practised ease before sitting down. I do have an unshakable habit of sitting with legs crossed, so I always wear safe underwear in case I get careless. Head-on photos often reveal quite a lot of leg, I find.
Dennis A Lederl

Fun To Look AT!

Post by Dennis A Lederl »

:)
Short skirts on well shaped women are always fun to look at. A seeing how she positions herself while wearing one is a moment of pure joy to most men. But seeing that much of a man doesn't seem to be that ideal to me.
If a man wears a skirt for his comfort then there is no comfort in not being able to sit down and be comfortable in the skirt you are wearing.
Maybe a man in extremely good body condition would be attractive in a short skirt. But for most of us it's not a good look.
And even kilts can be probable, at best. sometimes if they don't come down far enough.
A man wearing a skirt cannot or maybe should not, give in to fashion trends. I tend to stick with longer lengths, mid-calf to ankle length.
Dennis
:eh:
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I think the choice of skirt length is largely dependent on body shape. In my opinion, long (i.e. below knee length) skirts don't suit me at all - because i am fairly tall and very skinny. Long skirts just accentuate my tallness and skinnyness. I don't like that.

I think that short skirts (around mid thigh) suit my body shape much better.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
staticsan

Post by staticsan »

ChristopherJ wrote:I think the choice of skirt length is largely dependent on body shape. In my opinion, long (i.e. below knee length) skirts don't suit me at all - because i am fairly tall and very skinny. Long skirts just accentuate my tallness and skinnyness. I don't like that.

I think that short skirts (around mid thigh) suit my body shape much better.
That generally applies to everyone, regardless of gender. My (ex-)wife has a shape where many skirt lengths look all wrong on her, unfortunately, although she would never try on anything shorter than her knees...
staticsan

It depends on where I sit down.

Post by staticsan »

My kilts are all 23" and on a friend's lounge, they can feel too short, but I know they're not.

For even shorter... well, for about 6 months I've worn a short skirt to bed. 17", I think they are. Certainly in bed there's no real length problem! But I each breakfast before I get dressed, too. I usually deal with this by getting up before everyone else. Most of these short skirts area actually beach skirts, so there's ample material anyway to hide things when I sit, even if the hem is only halfway down my thighs... :D

About the shortest I've ever worn out would probably have been 18", and that included driving to a supermarket and doing my grocery shopping. That was only one trip, though, and I never sat down except in my car. Fortunately, my car's seats are fabric, so I didn't have the warm-leather problem. :)

Wade.