Anyone Bought a MIDAS Skirt/kilt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Anyone Bought a MIDAS Skirt/kilt?

Post by skirttron »

Has anyone here bought a skirt or kilt from MIDAS clothing? Their stuff looks nice on the website http://www.midasclothing.com/pages/ and seems to usefully cross over between kilts and skirts in some products.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Yes, I bought the box pleat green camo and the 4-panel green camo. The box pleat has been a great success and I've worn it a lot since I bought it in January - to the zoo; to the airport; to the supermarket; around town; visiting friends; - its been very well received and I've not yet had any negative comments either from friends or strangers.
The 4-panel camo being unpleated is very comfortable for sitting at the computer, but the very obvious slit front makes it a rather immodest garment which I would be much less enthusiastic about wearing out and about in town. So far I've only worn it around my own house and garden but I'd imagine it would be OK for the beach.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I like the look of their kilts and skirts. As I'm on a low income, the prices - although reasonable compared to other stockists out there - are still a little high for me to be able to afford easily. I'll just have to write to Father Christmas I guess. :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
G.Shaw

Blue Checked Midas Skirt

Post by G.Shaw »

I purchased one of these a number of years ago.
It fits well and looks great!

The prices are a little high.

I tried to recently order a Purple Checked skirt but the web purchase system wasn't working.
I've also tried to communicate with their web contact e-mail but gotten no response.

Greg
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

I've listed the 4-panel camo on e-bay as I can't really see myself wearing this in public - I'm more of a kilts person. Somebody might get a bargain.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0110960349
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

G.Shaw wrote:I purchased [a blue checked skirt] a number of years ago.
It fits well and looks great!

The prices are a little high.
Midas' designs do look good. 'Tis a pity the exchange rate the way it is -- if they're expensive in the UK they'll put one heck of a dent in the wallet here in the US! I really like the "full circle red tartan", but can't justify shelling out US$80+ for it. (Go on, call me cheap.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

I have one that was given to me by a very generous man on this very board. It's only 17" long so I can't be seen out out the house in it but gosh is it ever well made. Mine is black nylon of some sort with a few box pleats. If it were 2 inches bigger 'round and 4 inches longer I could see it getting a lot of wear.

Price -- if you can afford it, I do think they are worth it.

cessna -- I saw your skirt on ebay and it looks just my size. I think I'll try to buy it once I remember my ebay login info...
crfriend
Master Barista

Short can work

Post by crfriend »

MtnBiker wrote:I have [a Midas skirt] that was given to me by a very generous man on this very board. It's only 17" long so I can't be seen out out the house in it but gosh is it ever well made.
I suppose it all depends on your personal geometry. My homemade minis are about 17 inches long, and I'm 6' 4" on a good day (6' 5" on a bad one). I wear them around the house and yard all the time and think nothing of it, but, put to the test by a young woman at my local "establishment" I have managed to screw up enough courage to wear them "in public" -- on occasion.

Specifically, I've worn a seventeen-incher "in public" precisely twice; I find them a bit scary. Face it, we blokes are not used to having that much leg show; most of our so-called "shorts" are longer than that by a wide margin. Add to it that we're not "trained since birth" on how to sit "properly" (like most girls now are?! Hah!) and the preponderance of apprehension comes down upon us like the proverbial ton of bricks. But is is possible.

I still remember the young woman's commentary on the wearing of very short skirts (I asked her a "technical question" and she replied with a technically-correct answer) -- "You need to be aware of what you're wearing at all times, and behave accordingly. Anticipate your movements and make them so you don't expose yourself". Note that this advice came from a lass wearing what could be charitably termed a "micro-skirt".

So, I guess the best bet is to push the boundaries a wee bit and see what happens.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

17 inches is fine. Most of my skirts are 12, 13 and 14 inches. I'm 5 ft 10 annabit inches tall. I don't find a problem wearing them at all. You've just got to remember not to sit with your legs apart! :D

I'd really like one or two skirts that were 17 or 18 inches long. My advice would be to get out there and wear it with pride.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

I'm 6'3" and have three skirts between 14 and 15 inches in length, all of which are worn fairly regularly while out walking in hot weather. However if I'm going somewhere that I expect to be sitting down a lot, I tend to go for longer lengths to avoid shocking the natives. The shorts skirts are just so comfortable that I tend to forget what I'm wearing, add in a couple of pints at the pub and the likelihood of "showing off" is just a bit too high for comfort.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Do you wear any tights or leggings with short skirts Ian? They are good for hiding any indiscretions!
crfriend
Master Barista

How short is short?

Post by crfriend »

ChristopherJ wrote:17 inches is fine. Most of my skirts are 12, 13 and 14 inches. I'm 5 ft 10 annabit inches tall. I don't find a problem wearing them at all. You've just got to remember not to sit with your legs apart! :D
Well, I've got a half-foot on you and a 17-incher on me handily passes the "miniskirt" test -- my fingers touch bare skin on my legs. (And, no, my knuckles do not drag on the ground!) I find that short.

I have borrowed an even shorter one from my wife (that doesn't fit her any more) that's somewhere between 15 and 16 inches and feel positively naked in it. My wife casts scorn on it, but that may be because she also states that I look better in it than most women. Other than one whopping sense of immodesty in it, it's fabulously comfortable; it's also one I sincerely doubt I'll ever have the cubes to wear in public.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

ChristopherJ wrote:Do you wear any tights or leggings with short skirts Ian? They are good for hiding any indiscretions!
Tights very occasionally but I really don't like them very much and as for leggings... (I need an emoticon for throwing up).

For me skirts are about comfort and freedom; leggings, tights etc just don't give me what I want.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Tights very occasionally but I really don't like them very much and as for leggings... (I need an emoticon for throwing up).
By 'leggings', I just mean tights with no feet. That's what I call 'leggings' anyhow. I wear them quite a bit. They reach to the ankles, are a cotton mix and are very stretchy - so they are both reasonably cool and very comfortable to wear.

e.g. http://www.mytights.com/mytights/2912.html

I wear these mostly when I am wearing a skirt - Falke are great quality.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

That's what I thought you meant Christopher, It's not a look I like on others or on myself and I don't find tights, leggings etc comfortable at all. I will absolutely defend your right to wear them if you want to, but they really are not for me.

Have fun,

Ian.