Anyone Bought a MIDAS Skirt/kilt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Fair do's. Personally, I think that's a great thing about MIS - in that some men prefer kilts, some sarongs, some like long skirts, others short skirts etc. - and some wear socks, some wear tights or leggings - and some go leg nekkid!

I like this diversity - and the fact that, despite having widely different tastes in clothing, we can all unite around a common theme - a simple desire to wear unbifurcated garments.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

This probably isn't the right place to post this but as I don’t post very often hope you'll excuse this.

I haven't bought Midas skirt but wanted to share my recent purchases.

After the earlier recommendation on this site I called at the Highland Store (opposite the British Museum) and bought a black 4 yard budget kilt as a ‘short term’ measure to tide me over until I manage to shift the dreaded middle-aged spread (well – you have to hope :-)

It’s synthetic, reasonably well constructed, appears durable and good value for the money. The assistant was helpful although a bit bemused when he said ‘are you buying it to wear for Scottish dancing?’ and I replied ‘no, just for when I feel like it’. Still, his parting words as he gave me a business card were – ‘when you want a real kilt, come back here’.

BTW when previously visiting the British Museum kilted, had absolutely no reaction anywhere as far as I saw.

I’ve been very pleased with this as a basic kilt for everyday use. Anyone who’s ordering over the net, check sizing. I take 36” trousers and was offered a 38” kilt I tried on 38” and 36” but ended up with 34”. My preferred length from my Brecan (Kinloch Anderson) is 22.5”, this only comes in 24”.

A week or two later I ordered the mountain kilt from Mountaingear on a Sunday. Despite overseas shipping to UK, this was delivered on the following Friday. Overseas shipping is high at about half the price of the kilt but with current exchange rates, still good value (no UK duty charged on import). Although wrap-over style (right to left) it’s more skirt-like with no pleating and very lightweight – ideal for summer temperatures and easy to pack – I’d recommend it and the company for excellent service. On sizing, size XL is 36”, L 34” by my estimate.

On a totally different tack, an article ‘Metrosexual men have healthier hearts’ in The Sunday Times (22/4/07) advises ‘swap your overalls for a sarong’ as part of a healthier lifestyle. I’m not entirely sure I agree with the research. In my view it all comes down to reducing stress and being able to ‘let go’ and not worry about what other people think reduces stress and so reduces health problems.

On the subject of stress, I remember the first time after I furtively donned my kilt in a public toilet and emerged to practically run across Liverpool Street station, with heart pounding, in desperate fear of a lynch mob – there was, of course, no reaction, but we all have to take that first step.

I was pursued later that day but by a tourists from Italy who wanted me in their family photo (I was happy to oblige).

My significant other accepts my kilting/skirting at home but won’t be seen out with me kilted so the stress I have these days is trying to find times I can get out on my own and kilted - the general public doesn’t have a problem with it.

I don’t wear a kilt at work but was given a sarong a month or two back by one of my staff who returned from visiting her family, I haven’t worn it in public yet as I can’t get it to stay up! – maybe I’ll try again in the summer.

After a long silence, that’s quite a rant for me – so back to lurking – keep up the good work!
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Well, I quite enjoyed that rant OldNick. Thanks for the information.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

OldNick wrote:On a totally different tack, an article ‘Metrosexual men have healthier hearts’ in The Sunday Times (22/4/07) advises ‘swap your overalls for a sarong’ as part of a healthier lifestyle. I’m not entirely sure I agree with the research. In my view it all comes down to reducing stress and being able to ‘let go’ and not worry about what other people think reduces stress and so reduces health problems.

On the subject of stress, I remember the first time after I furtively donned my kilt in a public toilet and emerged to practically run across Liverpool Street station, with heart pounding, in desperate fear of a lynch mob – there was, of course, no reaction, but we all have to take that first step.
By my simple logic, it seems obvious that doing things that make you happy should reduce stress. Even when nervously entering the public realm kilted, you were pursuing an end that was for your enjoyment. If you had been required to enter the public realm in a work uniform that made you feel silly, or represented a job you found demeaning, that would be stress-inducing.
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

As for sarongs staying up, this is tricky because they tend to stretch a bit as you wear them over the day.

The best way I've found, which absolutely cannot go wrong, is to wrap it around you in the normal way, then take one of those big kilt safety pins, and pierce it vertically through the overlapped layers, then roll it over, again vertically, so the pin is inside, against the skin.

This arrangement is invisible, and cannot be dismantled by accident even if the pin shifts slightly, and the holes are small enough that they don't spoil the material. Job done!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

many thanks for your support and encouragement.

I'll have another go with the sarong but if you read of a man with no trousers .... you'll know I didn't get it right! :-)
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Skip (Since1982) suggested a way to hold up a sarong using a belt, which I successfully used last year.

1. Wrap sarong around you in the normal way.
2. Roll the top over, to keep it in place.
3. Put belt on, just below the rolled over bit.
4. Roll the first rolled over bit again, over the belt.
5. Roll everything, including the belt, over once more.

The belt is trapped inside the rolls and the sarong is rock solid.

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Belted Sarong

Post by skirttron »

Yes, I've used the belt method, but frankly you can just wrap the sarong around, fix the belt and fold the extra material over the top of the belt - it works fine for me. South Sea islanders know the trick of tying them properly without a belt - in fact they tried to instruct me but I still couldn't do it.