Utilikilt or Unionkilt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

ChristopherJ wrote:But the one thing that I hate about the Unionkilt website - and other kilt websites too, come to think of it, is the fact that all of the male models are invariably wearing deep sea divers boots! Seriously - I think it's really silly. Sort of . . . although I'm wearing a skirt (kilt), you can see that I am a man really because I have got these HUGE BOOTS on . . . .
If we just regard skirts (including kilts) as another item of clothing - then men should be wearing roughly the same clothing, footwear and accessories etc. with them as they would with jeans or trousers. Now - not many men wear deep sea diving boots with trousers - so why are they supposed to wear them with skirts?
I don't see any "deep sea divers boots" :eh: on any guy wearing any kilt on any website, nor in the street for that matter; I have to agree with Cessna - All I see are well co-ordinated outfits. It is the way I personally choose to dress too, and there is nothing "silly" about it:naughty:. Having only ever recieved 3 negative comments in my kilt wearing time (a cowardly chav male teenager who voiced his opinions from a good 100ft distance whilst his girlfriend watched on in silence, a drunken unemployed bum basking on a bench in a towncentre with his drunken bum unemployed mates & their cans of Special Brew, and a little girl who was brave enough to voice her opinions to my face in switzerland whilst I was sat down & at eye-level with her (I couldn't understand a word, but I got the jist of it) I am satisfied & confident that it is an acceptable look, the positive comments & attention FAR outweighing any negativity. Try not to confuse skirts & miniskirts with kilts - I'm certain that any self-respecting kilt wearer & Scot would be overcome by a red mist...:mad:
I must add that I haven't seen any kilt wearers (models on websites or even joe-public) wearing legwarmers:rolleyes: .......
Live & let live - Each to their own.....
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Boots

Post by ChrisM »

I understand the remark about "divers boots."

I do not like boots. You (any of you) are certainly welcome to wear them if you want, no problem at all. But just to help explain the 'divers boot' comment let offer my own perspective:

You see, I prefer 'freedom'. I went barefoot for many years, even in school having 'trick' shoes that had uppers but no soles, so that teachers and administrators would think I had shoes, while I experienced the freedom I prefered.

To my mind, the wearing of skirts is merely a step along the same road. The 'freedom' we have all enjoyed in skirts is something like the freedom I early enjoyed bare foot.

So now, if you can follow how these two experiences are likened in my mind, perhaps you can also see how "boots and skirt" seems a sort of oxymoronic combination.

As another parallel, many chaps on this list have expressed the same thoughts about tights: Why wear a skirt for freedom and then give up that freedom via tights? Well, for a couple of us the footwear question may be expressed "why wear a skirt for freedom and lightness and then give up that freedom via boots?"

Aww gee, I haven't explained that very well. And I'm not in the least opposed to anybody wearing boots that wants to - whether deep sea diving or not. I am merely trying to explain why to me boots and skirts seem to be at odds with each other.

Errr... Hope this helps...

Thanks,

Chris

(with a gimpy keyboard today - hope there aren't too many typos in that!)
crfriend
Master Barista

Divers' boots?

Post by crfriend »

ChristopherJ wrote:[O]ne thing that I hate about the Unionkilt website - and other kilt websites too, come to think of it, is the fact that all of the male models are invariably wearing deep sea divers boots! Seriously - I think it's really silly. Sort of . . . although I'm wearing a skirt (kilt), you can see that I am a man really because I have got these HUGE BOOTS on . . . .
I almost spat out my beer when I read that because I was laughing so hard -- Good one!
ChristopherJ wrote:If we just regard skirts (including kilts) as another item of clothing - then men should be wearing roughly the same clothing, footwear and accessories etc. with them as they would with jeans or trousers.
That's the way I approach it. Precisely the only difference between when I'm wearing tr*users or a skirt is that one piece of clothing -- everything else is identical. I don't own a pair of boots, nor do I have the desire to, hence I, correspondingly, have no desire to wear them with a skirt. I can see the value of a good pair of boots under certain circumstances, but as I absolutely hate having anything stiff covering my ankles they are something that I would not ever wear as a "fashion statement".

On tights: Yep, I wear 'em from time to time. They're nice and warm in the winter and don't add bulk. They also function as a second skin so do not constrict the way that tr*users do; the range of motion one has in them is unparalleled by anything save nudity (and *that* gets one in trouble where I come from), possibly explaining one reason that dancers wear them. No, they're not for everybody, but do have their place from time to time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Boots not so bad

Post by skirttron »

I must say, I think boots look kinda smart with kilts and skirts. I sometimes wear trainer boots myself. Other times I wear trainers or sandals. Ordinary shoes look a bit rubbish to me, but I can't work out why.
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

skirttron wrote:I must say, I think boots look kinda smart with kilts and skirts. I sometimes wear trainer boots myself. Other times I wear trainers or sandals. Ordinary shoes look a bit rubbish to me, but I can't work out why.
I have to agree with that.
binx
Member Extraordinaire

What's wrong with looking "macho" in skirt n' boots?

Post by binx »

ChrisopherJ is just jealous of all those boots! "...I have been making do with legwarmers as a sort of surrogage pair of boots..." Boots in the winter are a must in nasty weather. Even skipping the puddles in a downpour, avoiding soaked shoes. I'm almost always in trainers when skirted/kilted, unless it's raining. I too would like to be able to afford those "goth-type" boots. The only local place I have found them is at Hot Topic, but the sizes are pretty limited. Plain shoes are OK with a trad kilt and kilt hose.

binx
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I'm not quibbling about people wearing boots per se - I've got no problem with that at all and would like to own a decent pair myself but have not been able to buy any.

What I object to is the "deep sea divers" boot style that seems to be almost obligatory for men who are modelling kilts or skirts.

Wintermute said:
I don't see any "deep sea divers boots" on any guy wearing any kilt on any website, nor in the street for that matter;
Well, I don't know what you call this then:

Hillwalker - Corduroy - as worn by the best deep sea divers . . . :D

In fact, lots of the skirt and kilt models on the UnionKilt website are wearing boots like that - e.g.

Leather - 1

Leather - 2

Camo

Traditional

Black Denim

See what I mean?

My point is - that very heavy boots like that are not "normal" everyday wear for men who are wearing trousers - so why should they be considered as normal everyday wear for men who are wearing skirts or kilts?

I remain convinced that it is based on the desire to put across the message - as I said before - that "I may be wearing a skirt like a girl, but you can see that I am a man really because I have these HUGE BOOTS on!" So the people promoting these skirts and kilts may be worried about them being seen as feminine wear and so are trying to counter that by putting out this image of guys in BIG BOOTS etc. - to project a more "manly" image.

Personally, I don't believe that is necessary. Boots can look good with a kilt or skirt - but so can shoes, or trainers, or sandals etc. And if anyone wants to wear boots with a skirt or kilt, I don't see why they they need to feel that they should wear the deep sea divers boot style. I wish the people promoting kilts at UnionKilts etc. would relax a bit about this.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
knickerless
Member Extraordinaire

boots with skirts

Post by knickerless »

I myself love to wear boots with skirts. I think I am trying put across the same message as women when they wear skirts with boots whatever that is.

Anyway boots worn with a skirt look great - whoever is wearing them .

Nick
Milfmog

Those "diving boots" don't look waterproof

Post by Milfmog »

Speaking as a diver, I can only say that I’d never wear any of those boots underwater…:naughty:

However, I tend to agree with Christopher from the point of view that although I quite like heavy boots (the Goth jobs are a bit OTT for someone my age but the Timberland style are great) I think that only showing the kilts with huge boots does tend to suggest that Union Kilts think anyone wearing a kilt should wear heavy boots. I would much rather they pictured the kilts with a wider range of footwear and upper body wear so as to avoid sending an unintended message that there is only one way to wear a kilt.

Perhaps it’s just me, but I do feel that picturing the kilts being worn with a wider variety of other clothes and in a variety of settings could help to broaden the appeal.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

ChristopherJ wrote: What I object to is the "deep sea divers" boot style that seems to be almost obligatory for men who are modelling kilts or skirts.

My point is - that very heavy boots like that are not "normal" everyday wear for men who are wearing trousers - so why should they be considered as normal everyday wear for men who are wearing skirts or kilts?

Personally, I don't believe that is necessary. Boots can look good with a kilt or skirt - but so can shoes, or trainers, or sandals etc. And if anyone wants to wear boots with a skirt or kilt, I don't see why they they need to feel that they should wear the deep sea divers boot style. I wish the people promoting kilts at UnionKilts etc. would relax a bit about this.
I can only agree with your sentiments here - it gives the (unwritten) impression that these garments are exclusively intended for niche markets such as "Goths" or "The Deep Sea Divers Society". In other words, "Unless you gonna wear 'em our way, DON'T buy 'em!"
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

ChristopherJ wrote:I'm not quibbling about people wearing boots per se - I've got no problem with that at all and would like to own a decent pair myself but have not been able to buy any.

What I object to is the "deep sea divers" boot style that seems to be almost obligatory for men who are modelling kilts or skirts.

Well, I don't know what you call this then:

Hillwalker - Corduroy - as worn by the best deep sea divers . . . :D

In fact, lots of the skirt and kilt models on the UnionKilt website are wearing boots like that - e.g.

Leather - 1

Leather - 2

Camo

Traditional

Black Denim

See what I mean?

I remain convinced that it is based on the desire to put across the message - as I said before - that "I may be wearing a skirt like a girl, but you can see that I am a man really because I have these HUGE BOOTS on!" So the people promoting these skirts and kilts may be worried about them being seen as feminine wear and so are trying to counter that by putting out this image of guys in BIG BOOTS etc. - to project a more "manly" image.

Ok, the boots that you have highlighted as "deeps sea divers boots" with the cord kilt are called "NEWROCK" boots; You can view the range here:

http://www.cloggs.co.uk/icat/brndftwrne ... lAodc0L9Bg

The others you have highlighted are MAGNUM tactical boots (as worn by police, fire, ambulance services, the military.....AND myself:) ). I actually have 4 different pairs of these, as well as a further 2 of their hi-top style trainer boot. Very comfortable boots & highly recommended.
The deepsea diver reference I can relate to and understand regarding the first pair - Being very decorative & gothy - They ARE very unusual boots, but you do actually see them around being worn by both male & female. The other boots however don't deserve a "deepsea diver" tag....Where do you think companies like CATERPILLAR got their inspiration from for their popular footwear range?
Boots are pretty much the norm for male street footwear these days (next to trainers); Personally, I can't say that I have seen a lot of blokes wearing normal shoes whilst out and about (unless their job dictates it, there's a special occaision or perhaps that's just the way they like to dress). Most blokes tend to go for Caterpillar (or similar) boots. I myself only have 2 pairs of shoes to my name (and they only get worn on special occaisions). Other than that, it's boots pretty much all the time (unless I'm wearing my PF Flyers!).
I wear only the boots with the kilt because they give it the correct balance (remember that the material radiates outwards towards the bottom, so it changes the shape of your body - Boots are larger in appearance to shoes, but give the balance that is needed for a kilt).
The thing is, by taking a shot at blokes regarding wearing boots with kilts, you are putting across a very "fem" attitude & opinion. No disrespect, but this is supposed to be a "mens fashion freedom" forum - If you choose to wear a miniskirt & legwarmers, that's fine by me - That's YOUR fashion freedom (and kudos to you for actually being brave enough to make your own personal statement in public - That takes a LOT of B*LLS!) But, just because others don't dress in the way that you feel YOU need to, doesn't warrant comments about hating a site & the way they display their products with a particular look. The trick is to see something that appeals to YOU in the images & what you would look like in that kilt (or skirt) with your favourite pair of trainers / shoes / legwarmers etc...
If you have an issue with UNIONKILTS and the way they market their product look, why not email (or call) them? I know for a fact that they do actually have a presence on this forum, and have probably read this thread, but I'm sure that they would be interested to hear others views.....
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

wintermute wrote: The thing is, by taking a shot at blokes regarding wearing boots with kilts, you are putting across a very "fem" attitude & opinion.

Hang on there! There are boots, boots & boots, surely? :think: If I'm not mistaken, ChristopherJ is expressing an opinion that the apparent 'heavy-boot overkill' on the website in question could lead a casual visitor (or potential customer) to assume that they are 'necessary' to project a "non-fem" appearance. Which is cobblers - Yes? :)
wintermute wrote: No disrespect, but this is supposed to be a "mens fashion freedom" forum.
So, what's the point you're making? :eh: If anyone wants to wear huge boots with a flared Kilt, and thus resemble a Christmas tree, then that's fine! But folk have (despite Blair & Co.'s efforts!) as much right to not like something, and indeed share those views in an open & reasonable manner. I've looked at the site in question again - it still leaves me pondering whether they really are "fem" garments after all, and the boots (on every model) are only there to 'disguise' the "fact"! From a purely personal perpective, I'm equally apprehensive about the bare top or vest look - not particularly 'hetro'? :confused:
wintermute

Post by wintermute »

merlin wrote:Hang on there! There are boots, boots & boots, surely? :think: If I'm not mistaken, ChristopherJ is expressing an opinion that the apparent 'heavy-boot overkill' on the website in question could lead a casual visitor (or potential customer) to assume that they are 'necessary' to project a "non-fem" appearance. Which is cobblers - Yes? :)
yes.
If you spend a little more time investigating their site you will find this pic:

http://www.kilts.org/component/option,c ... y,0/hit,1/
merlin wrote:So, what's the point you're making? :eh: If anyone wants to wear huge boots with a flared Kilt, and thus resemble a Christmas tree, then that's fine! But folk have (despite Blair & Co.'s efforts!) as much right to not like something, and indeed share those views in an open & reasonable manner. I've looked at the site in question again - it still leaves me pondering whether they really are "fem" garments after all, and the boots (on every model) are only there to 'disguise' the "fact"! From a purely personal perpective, I'm equally apprehensive about the bare top or vest look - not particularly 'hetro'? :confused:
The point I'm making (as I too am entitled to) is that I found ChristopherJ's comment in need of a response. I gave it.
As I also said too - Each to his own!
I can't comment on the way the models & products were shot for the UnionKilt site, but, in my opinion it works & sells the gear:cool: . End of story.
Personally, I prefer the boots & kilt look (even if I may look like a Christmas Tree!) It balances just right & it works for me. I am confident & comfortable enough within myself to wear a kilt in the open (even though for some strange reason some refer to it as a skirt - It isn't)
I think if you were to spend some time seeking out a lot of the kilt sites on the net, most of the pics you will find team boots with kilts.
If you have an issue about their site & photos, contact them direct & voice an opinion: http://www.kilts.org

I'm curious about this comment too:
merlin wrote:From a purely personal perpective, I'm equally apprehensive about the bare top or vest look - not particularly 'hetro'? :confused:
I think I would have to disagree with you over that ...
In your opinion, what IS hetro? A guy in a miniskirt, perhaps? I'm sure that there are leagues of narrow-minded testosterone filled amoeba who would disagree in the most unpleasant way possible over that one....:shake:
This isn't about sexuality; It's about freedom to wear your own choice in clothing, regardless of what that may be. Everyone here has their own taste & perception of fashion, everyone is different; But in the same breath, what may appear to be the acceptable for one, may provoke a different reaction from another. We are all different.
Keith Beddoe

Post by Keith Beddoe »

Back to the original subject of the thread !

I have just received a Unionkilt in dark blue denim and it is very well made. Plenty of pockets and made to last forever.

By the way, I wear mine with sandals (no socks) in this warm weather in the UK.

In the winter I usually wear a kilt with long socks and plain black shoes. I have never seen the point of trainers, unless you are a runner.

Keith
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

I've just received my new dark blue denim Union Kilt today too!
My wife thinks I look better in the dark blue than in my light blue one but I feel equally comfortable in both.
Note how the pleats sweep out to either side from a point in the centre of the back of the kilt, unlike a traditional kilt where all the pleats sweep in the same direction.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/