Stockings

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Stockings

Post by imadube »

As a truckdriver I have what I call "Drivers Knee", a sharp pain in the knees after a prolonged period of driving, usually making it impossible for me to walk when I stop driving. We are not able to take time, nor have the right insurance or money to get medical assistance. Aside from the fact, after my years in the military I know I really do not want knee surgery. I knew of a way they treat vericous (spelling off,,,,sorry) veins with medical stockings. Mostly these are perscribed and "ugly". So my wife thought regular thigh high stokings could help as they can support and massage the lags. We tried them and what the differance! I finally found the site with male stockings and ordered some but until they come I am useing Leggs type. My question here is, does anyone know if these stocking slip down during use like the Leggs brand? If so how do I stop that with out garderbelts?
I think I got it fixed with a little modification to an iteem from houswares but if there is a better way, let me know.
Thanks all
Mark & Brenda Dubé
Tobacco Free Electronic Cigarettes
Two options to purchase;
Red Dragon Electronic Cigarettes
http://imadube.web.officelive.com
Green Smoke Electronic Cigarettes
http://greensmoke.com/5520.html
crfriend
Master Barista

Knee-highs and stockings

Post by crfriend »

imadube wrote:I knew of a way they treat vericous (spelling off,,,,sorry) veins with medical stockings. Mostly these are perscribed and "ugly".
It's "varicose", and don't worry about it... You are absolutely right, though, on the fact that the prescription stockings (compression stockings) are rather hideous -- it's the very heavy fabric they're made from that does that.
imadube wrote:I finally found the site with male stockings and ordered some but until they come I am useing Leggs type. My question here is, does anyone know if these stocking slip down during use like the Leggs brand? If so how do I stop that with out garderbelts?
The key to this is to get the size right. I started wearing knee-highs a couple of months ago following a suggestion from Binx. The first ones were too small and slipped down until they were little longer than regular socks -- hardly what I wanted; but, the second try was with the larger size and those have worked out very well (I've got size 12s, BTW). They're more comfortable than regular socks (no bulk to speak of) and surprisingly warm. I tend towards longer skirts, so the upper band doesn't show, either.

I can't speak to long stockings (thigh-highs, either "stay-ups" or ones that require extra "hardware"), but I suspect the same thing will hold true -- only more so; if you don't get 'em long enough, they will slip down. I'm given to understand that they work better with shaved legs, too (the hair functioning as a lubricant).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Post by imadube »

Thanks. I have thought about the shaving legs thing but for me thats alot of leg (long legs for my height) and how high do you shave without looking freaky (hair line suddenly stops), also when I meantioned it the the Mrs. you could have buried me from the look on ere face. She really likes my legs the way they are and Does not want anything different.
I also was wondering about keeping my shirt tucked in, my pants are somewhat tight when I wear them (Know of Wrangler Butt - I'm the first one to sport that look - hehehe) So I did come up with a way to hold the shirt down and stockings up. Little bulky in hardwaer but seeming to work well.
Mark & Brenda Dubé
Two options to purchase;
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

imadube wrote:Thanks.
You're quite welcome.

imadube wrote:i have thought about the shaving legs thing but for me thats alot of leg (long legs for my height) and how high do you shave without looking freaky (hair line suddenly stops) [...]
Ideally, I suspect that the "proper" point to stop shaving is either (1) just above the shortest garment you're going to wear (be it skirts or shorts) or (2) where-ever the heck you want to stop. Which leads us to:
imadube wrote: [...]also when I meantioned it the the Mrs. you could have buried me from the look on ere face. She really likes my legs the way they are and Does not want anything different.
None of us here are qualified to talk to that matter -- that's between you and her. That said, my legs look a whole heck of a lot better shaved than with the thin patchy growth I had before; why I didn't start earlier eludes me.
imadube wrote:I also was wondering about keeping my shirt tucked in [...]
Bodysuits are said to solve that problem completely, and would also help solve sagging tights, but I'm no expert on on the matter. There was a chap hereon who was commenting about them a while back (AMM, I believe). They sound like a good idea, but I wonder just how practical they are in a "gotta go" moment...
imadube
Member Extraordinaire

Post by imadube »

I can understand shaving legs with patchy growth, I believe the Mrs. would rather that too. As is I have fairly uniform hair on the legs and she really likes it.
The body suit thing, I don't know about that - - as you mentioned the "gotta go" moment. As a trucker I have many times that it takes so long to find a spot to park the truck there is not much time to waste.
Thanks
Mark & Brenda Dubé
Two options to purchase;
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Thigh Highs

Post by ChrisM »

I have yet to find thigh highs that stay up for very long. I have however found garter belts to be emminently practical. Further, I find that with a hotknife you can make "stockings" out of "tights." This is particularly helpful since most ladies "stockings" seem to be sheer and marketed as "sexy", whereas what we're talking about here is more akin to medical wear. You buy heavy pantyhose, hotknife the legs off, and wear the resulting stockings with a man's garter belt.

If you can't find a garter belt that doesn't offend your sensibilities, you may wish to look at the men's garter belts sold for hockey playing, for example:

http://www.modells.com/product/index.js ... Id=1254321

The stocking & garter combination does solve the toilet problem nicely.

Chris
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I find these go fine under a denim skirt with boots or training shoes and sports socks:

http://www.mytights.com/mytights/1120.html

Stu
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Has anyone tried suspender tights? By that I mean tights with the crotch and hip sections cut away to effectively turn them into a one piece belt and stockings? They look like they could solve many of the fit problems and stay up without the need for other hardware.

A number of different examples can be seen here (note that the prices are quoted without VAT and shipping).

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

tights

Post by Since1982 »

I often wear tights in the winter under my skirt, I have taken a pair of scissors and cut out an area of the crotch to allow freedom of movement for my "package" and give me easy access to p or poo without undressing or soiling anything. By doing it this way, I can wear full tights instead of worrying about holding "thigh highs" up. I just lift my skirt and sit to do my toilet duties.

I use a bidet and have used one for at least 40 years so perhaps my methods may not work for everyone. I can still reach to tp-wipe any liquid away after doing what I need to do. I do understand there are a large contingent of male skirt wearers that feel odd sitting to p but I'm not one of them. From being fat in the past, it was always easier for me and now, having lost a lot of weight, I'm already in the habit and probably will continue to sit to p for the rest of my life. :think:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

The 'stick-up' thigh-highs work OK only if there's a lot of stick-up! Under tr*users, they have a habit of 'working themselves down', shaven legs or not. Unfortunately, the better ones tend to have 'lace' tops (which some will find beyond their personal 'tolerance' level). Also, the proprietary ones (i.e., not advertised as 'medical') have very little lycra in the leg (presumably only regarded a 'fashion' items?). 'Hang-ups' on the other hand, can be obtained relatively easily, with varying degrees of lycra content. Our Practice Nurse recommended these (rather than the expensive and virtually identical 'male' ones), when I said I'd rather not wear lycra-heavy tights (too uncomfortable in the groin area). "Nobody's going to see you're wearing a suspender belt, are they?", convinced me to try. I haven't had calf muscle problems since! My best mate, however, when he was advised to do something similar (varicose vein problems), didn't feel able to do so. Consequently, he had made several visits to Hospital to have varicose veins removed.
crfriend
Master Barista

Was that intentional?

Post by crfriend »

merlin wrote:The 'stick-up' thigh-highs work OK only if there's a lot of stick-up! Under tr*users, they have a habit of 'working themselves down', shaven legs or not. [...] 'Hang-ups' on the other hand, can be obtained relatively easily, with varying degrees of lycra content.
I do hope I'm not the only one who found the terms above extremely amusing... If one has problems with suspender-supported hose, does that mean he has a "hang-up" about it? I so enjoy linguistic silliness....
merlin wrote:"Nobody's going to see you're wearing a suspender belt, are they?", convinced me to try.
Isn't the point of underwear to keep it concealed? Oh, dang, there's that dratted double-standard rearing its ugly head again. Where's my ball-bat?
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

ChrisM wrote:You buy heavy pantyhose, hotknife the legs off, and wear the resulting stockings with a man's garter belt.

If you can't find a garter belt that doesn't offend your sensibilities, you may wish to look at the men's garter belts sold for hockey playing, for example:

http://www.modells.com/product/index.js ... Id=1254321

The stocking & garter combination does solve the toilet problem nicely.

Chris
Thanks, that's a great idea. Tried the Comfilon thigh-highs, but the "stick-ups" are too tight for me...The tops of regular hose are too tight as well.

Update: Went to Sports Authority and they had these in stock, and for larger waist-sizes too! It works great, except the back garters are a bit uncomfy sitting down on, slide up and down while walking, and the velcro on the inside of the belt can be stratchy. All tolerable issues I believe, but need to go out and give it a try. My minis look much nicer with hose!

binx
Departed Member

This is a 'stick-up'!

Post by Departed Member »

crfriend wrote:I do hope I'm not the only one who found the terms above extremely amusing... If one has problems with suspender-supported hose, does that mean he has a "hang-up" about it? I so enjoy linguistic silliness....
Sorry about that! :) I accidentally 'invented' those descriptions twenty years ago during an 'in depth' discussion with a very close work colleague! Strangely, she nearly fell off her stool, laughing, then! :shifty: (I'd never heard the term 'thigh-high' 'til then!). :doh:
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bravehearts.us »

Milfmog wrote:Has anyone tried suspender tights? By that I mean tights with the crotch and hip sections cut away to effectively turn them into a one piece belt and stockings? They look like they could solve many of the fit problems and stay up without the need for other hardware.

A number of different examples can be seen here (note that the prices are quoted without VAT and shipping).

Have fun,

Ian.
Some of these are nothing but strings. I have a whole roll of string in the garage. I could save myself a lot of money and just start wearing it. LOL
skirtlover

stockings

Post by skirtlover »

Stu wrote:I find these go fine under a denim skirt with boots or training shoes and sports socks:

http://www.mytights.com/mytights/1120.html

Stu
thanks for a great site on stockings yes they look good with a demin skirt