Wraps and bathrobes ARE skirts and dresses

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bravehearts.us
Member Extraordinaire

Wraps and bathrobes ARE skirts and dresses

Post by Bravehearts.us »

Would a towel wrap be considered a skirt and a bath robe considered a dress? Look at them. They are literally the same as a skirt and dress and they fit the definition completely. And how many men who like to give nasty comments about skirts for men would wear these and feel ok with it?
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Bravehearts.us wrote:Would a towel wrap be considered a skirt and a bath robe considered a dress? Look at them. They are literally the same as a skirt and dress and they fit the definition completely. And how many men who like to give nasty comments about skirts for men would wear these and feel ok with it?
I wore a (knee-length) towel wrap, complete with velcro (l over r) fastening, pocket & monogram back in the late '70s ('til it literally wore out, some ten years later!) around the house/garden. Never had one comment about it. Never managed to find another one since, sadly! I think it was marketed as a gent's towelling sarong (the ladies one was twice as long, designed to be worn over the bust, although it would have looked OK from the waist!) :cheer:
Dennis A Lederl

It's called a sarong!

Post by Dennis A Lederl »

Hey!
Lar!
It's called a sarong. And most of the men in this old world have been wearing them for centuries.
It's only the "modern" cultures that in their ignorance don't recognize the rights of men to wear skirted garments.
Maybe it'll change.
But it's not up to a group to change things for us.
Each of us have to decide what we are willing to do for ourselves and settle for what we want in our own lives.
Dennis
:clap:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Towel skirt

Post by Since1982 »

I sewed myself a blue towel skirt for wearing after coming out of the pool or shower until I completely dried in the nether areas. It has an elastic waist and is not a wrap, but a real step in A-line skirt. When I go to Key West to the public pool down there I wear swim trunks and my towel skirt. I like to go into the bar after swimming for a coke and sit and drink it. The towel skirt keeps my swim trunks from wetting the seats and the barkeep appreciates it. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Sounds like a 'top tip', Skip! (You could almost start a business making 'em - at least they'd be cheap enough to produce/sell?).
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Less than an hour

Post by Since1982 »

I can make either a towel skirt or a straight skirt in less than an hour with 2 patch pockets in the left and right front areas. They would look nearly exactly the same except for material or color. I can add a thumbnail of one made recently if wanted. It's MY size but could easily be made custom for anyones measurements.
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

Sounds like you're the candidate to start CitySkirt back up.:clap::rolleyes:

binx
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Nooooooooooooooo

Post by Since1982 »

Nope, one at a time in my spare time is a lot different than worldwide distribution and expenditure of all my life savings to get customers as DanR seems to have done. Anyway, I'm 64 and might not HAVE 5 years to get a new company off the ground.:think:

skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

A towel sure is like a skirt - for those who are too shy to wear skirts out and about, wearing shorts and tying a soft jacket like a fleece round your waist makes a passable A-Line too.
DanR

Post by DanR »

binx wrote:Sounds like you're the candidate to start CitySkirt back up.:clap::rolleyes:

binx
You'd be better off poking a sharp stick into your own eye. It would be a lot less painful.
Dan Richardson
The CitySkirt Company
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

Note the :rolleyes: !!! Ouch....

binx
Jock
Distinguished Member

Towel "skirts" in South Africa

Post by Jock »

When I was in South Africa a coupla years back, nearly all the men wore towels as wraps after going in the sea. Together with a shirt and some sort of footwear the would then head for bars, cafes or home. They all looked quite natural.

I did a double take the first time I saw it as it look like MIS had arrived RSA style :)
Jock MacHinery
===========
"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Ok

Post by Since1982 »

Okay, Dan and Binx have convinced me not to bother. :confused:

Actually, that really surprised me. I'd have thought they'd be supportive. Guess not. :(

Bob
Barista Emeritus

Re: Wraps and bathrobes ARE skirts and dresses

Post by Bob »

I would say a robe is not a dress, nor is a robe a skirted garment, hence the different word used.

A robe generally hangs from the shoulders and is worn over another garment (except for bath robes, which are worn in private). They usually open at the front. You wouldn't want to go out in public wearing just a robe, although just a dress is fine.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wraps and bathrobes ARE skirts and dresses

Post by Since1982 »

Bob said: I would say a robe is not a dress, nor is a robe a skirted garment, hence the different word used.
Does that mean these aren't skirted garments, since a different word is used?
kikoy, sarongs, lavalavas, sulu, tupenu, Lungi, Männerock,(your German friends should know this one),Caftans, Cassocks, Dashiki, Dhoti, Dishdasha, Djellaba, Fustenella (a short pleated SKIRT worn by men in Greece and Albania),Gho, Hakama, Kain, Kimono, Laplap, Longyi, Sapeta, Pareo, Paso, Robe, Kikepa,Thobe, tunic, Yukata, and probably a few more that I haven’t listed. :alien: :hide: :alien: