What Skirts Have In Common With Football

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

What Skirts Have In Common With Football

Post by skirttron »

It seems to me that the "Men Wear Pants Only" rule is there to simplify the situation so that even the dumbest guy can understand. This is probably why only the dumbest guys take exception to our breaking that rule: it does not compute in a narrow mind.
Football has similar attributes; it is war without death fought to a simplified set of rules that most men find easy to understand. The fans/spectators can see understand what is going on, and for the duration of the match, they feel they also understand the world and their place in it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Futbol

Post by crfriend »

skirttron wrote: [Football] is war without death fought to a simplified set of rules that most men find easy to understand. The fans/spectators can see understand what is going on, and for the duration of the match, they feel they also understand the world and their place in it.
Are you referring to US style "football" or what the rest of the planet seems to call "football" (save Oz)?

As far as any of them go, I don't particularly "get" any of them.

US football seems to be one set of mammoth behemoths facing down another set of mammoth behemoths and when a whistle blows (usually from a fairly scrawny referee who tries mostly to stay out of the way) the two sides collide into a pile whereupon the whistle blows again. {repeat}

The rest of the world (save Oz) plays a mind-numbingly boring game where blokes run up and down an enormous field kicking a round ball betwixt themselves. The size of the field guarantees that the blokes in play get tired before the play gets exciting.

The Aussies at least have a rather kinky way of looking at things. Anybody that demands that an oblong ball gets dribbled has got to be from another planet, and two sets of goal-posts must've been one of the things that inspired JK Rowling.

Have I offended anybody yet? :) Let's just say it -- "Sports" aren't my bag. :D

What's this got to do with skirts? Not a whit. What's it got to do with "narrow minds"? Not much else. As far as the "dumbest guys" go, well until they start to look "outside the box" they're doomed to exist within said box (or should I say shackles?).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

The mind numbingly boring game

Post by Since1982 »

Don't forget those blokes dont just kick the ball up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down the field, they also whang the heck out of it with their heads...LOL That must be why Pele talks in broken sentences now since he's retired...similar to how Muhammad Ali talks...except for the fact that Ali didn't actually WANT to get whanged in the head by Larry Holmes and Pele intentionally did his own head whanging..LOL

<<< Obviously not a fan of dangerous head whanging sports either. Give me a good old game of Ping Pong or Billiards where you can actually have a beer while playing. I heard the Premier of China had a set of the National game of China with Pope John Paul a few years ago...The headline read>>> Pope Plays Ping Pong with Premier Poo Poh Ping in Peking! I just heard this, it may not be true, all the headlines you read are not cast in steel. :):naughty: :rolleyes: :whiteflag :bouncy:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Eagle 95

Post by Eagle 95 »

funny thing about it...I like to tell people I know that football (the US version) is deceptively simple. complicated, I won't lie, to a degree it is (I used to play in high school, hence my screen name-we were the Eagles and I wore #95). then again, I always did like a good chess match. and then a lot of soccer fans would likely tell you the reverse of what I said about football, that it's deceptively complicated. They're probably right as I generally don't know most of what's going on when I watch soccer. I'd rant about how badly the US played in Germany, but that's a rant I'll save for a sports forum :)

now I'll get back on topic...I only really have one thing to say to the folks in the box: cut a hole ;) then yall can see outside :D
You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace
-Ernie Banks
:( Rest in Peace Quadrevion Henning and Purvis Virginia Parker
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

HEY! Stop knocking Football! That's the one game that has got more blokes into Kilts (in Scotland, in particular) in the past decade, than there's been for many a year. And better still, in a casual manner, too! Even rubbing off on Rugby (yeugh!) fans!
sterlin6

Post by sterlin6 »

I go to rugby matches as an excuse to wear my kilts. Is that sad?
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Merlin

Post by Since1982 »

Merlin, I'm not knocking Soccer or "football" (The Universal, not USA version). My eyes just get tired and fall out on my cheeks trying to keep them on the ball as it goes up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down the field. (whew, pant, pant, pant, pant)....:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :ninjajig:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Departed Member

Skip! Try watching the game from the shore, not from a passing schooner!!!!!!!!!!!
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Football is a game of beauty and style when played at its best. Sadly, it is also ridden with play-acting, sleight of hand and unsporting behaviour. It alone deserves the name "football" although rugby has some claim to the title.

American football (that's what the rest of the worl and therefore the majority of the globe call it) can be interesting to watch, but could be compressed in time by about 75% if they didn't stop play every 10 seconds or so. Rugby league doesnt; why should American Football? In addition, the coverage is appalling: adverts every 2/3 minutes; mindless and pointless stats flashed up ("well there you go folks: Danny Rickenbacker III has just gotten the best running yards for blonde men over two fifty pounds"). It's still enjoyable, but as far as the globe is concerned, it's still a minority sport. Sorry!

Ray
Eagle 95

Post by Eagle 95 »

can be interesting to watch, but could be compressed in time by about 75% if they didn't stop play every 10 seconds or so
I wasn't gonna veer anymore off topic, but I always wanna laugh when yall Europeans focus on the stop-start nature of football. on the downside, the nature of the game happens to be extremely convenient for TV ads (though thankfully jerseys here haven't become wearable billboards yet)...on the upside, there's a lot of room for a plan of attack/defense. what can I say, the strategy's a big draw for me.
75%? and yall say WE'RE impatient? :D
and don't get me started on teh debate over the meaning of the word football. soccer fans believe the "moving the ball with the foot" myth, other football fans (as in those not named soccer) go with "playing a ball game on foot" as opposed to on horseback. heh, take those as you will, I'll just point out that you merely need legs to kick a soccer ball, but you need feet to run. ;)
You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace
-Ernie Banks
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Ray

Post by Since1982 »

Ray wrote:adverts every 2/3 minutes;
How ELSE do you expect the teams to pay for $10,000,000.00 a year blocklers and tacklers, much less the $120,000,000.00 a year Quarterbacks and Extra point kickers? AND the $50,000,000.00 a year Head Coach?

It's a commercial business and to make money at it with horrendous expenses they really need adverts every 30 seconds, but they don't stick them in that often out of the goodness of their hearts. The existing adverts are not really every 2/3 minutes, more like every break in play and last the duration of the break. American Football really is a game that needn't be watched until the last 30 seconds when the losing team does all kinds of wild things to win. :scratchchin:

skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

OK Guys, The football fans win (whether UK or US does not matter). My point was not to knock football but to illustrate how breaking something down into a finite set of understandable rules, when the real world is much more complex, is exemplified by games like football.
I guess I was getting too abstract.
As far as football is concerned, in the UK of course we have David Beckham - England Captain and press-photographed sarong-wearer extraordinaire - for that piece of bravery he deserves to play any game he likes.
Departed Member

skirttron wrote:As far as football is concerned, in the UK of course we have David Beckham - England Captain and press-photographed sarong-wearer extraordinaire - for that piece of bravery he deserves to play any game he likes.
Not for me, I have to say! Did you see the pictures/video of the B*ckham 'incident'? :naughty: Running like a rabbit caught in a car's headlights! Embarrassed, ashamed, hen-pecked? Perhaps! But the ultimate fashion sin wasn't the sarong, but (wait on it!) the JEANS worn underneath!!!! :rolleyes: :shake: :no:

Sorry, my vote goes to the Scots fans who've re-invented (almost!) casual Kilt-wearing, to, from and AT, their Football (real = foot, ball, GOAL!!!) matches! Hopefully, it won't be long before the trend drifts towards England - but we've got to get past the dreaded (schhh!!!) Sassenachs (shock, horror!) first! :cheer:
Eagle 95

Post by Eagle 95 »

skirttron wrote:OK Guys, The football fans win (whether UK or US does not matter). My point was not to knock football but to illustrate how breaking something down into a finite set of understandable rules, when the real world is much more complex, is exemplified by games like football.
I guess I was getting too abstract.
heh, I don't mind the abstraction, just means a little more mind sharpening :) I did see where you were going with the analogy, though I'm sort of seeing a farm as another good one: say I have a wide variation of fruits and vegetables on my land, and a couple days a week I go to the city to sell some. society for some reason has mandated that men shouldn't eat fruits, as those who do are somehow "defected" or whatnot, so I wind up selling most of my crops to women. The men, on the other hand, steer clear of the fruits and most of the vegetables, only buying carrots, cucumbers and potatoes (or any limited set of veggies, I just needed an example).
Yeah, it sounds dumb to me too, but it wouldn't surprise me if society found some asinine way to justify seeing it in that context :sarcastic:
-Ernie Banks
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire

Re-naming Soccer

Post by Since1982 »

How about re-naming Soccer "FootHeadBall" or " HeadFootBall" because they don't just use their feet to kick the ball up and down the field. They also use their heads to pass the ball instead of "heaven forbid" their HANDS. Soccer seems a great game for paraplegics with paralyzed arms. Seeing a soccer fan in a suit, getting a soccer ball and bouncing it up and down and up and down in place with their heads remind me somewhat of a heron stabbing at fish in the shallow water. Very plaint neck work in both cases, only difference I see is that the Heron actually has a reason.

Now none of this is meant as any kind of "put-down" of soccer as a sport. We all know it's the most popular field sport on the planet. Just seems incongrous to call it "soccer" which could infer socking something like a female. Because Soccer sounds exactly like Sock Her. Which is usually done with hands, but hands aren't allowed usage in soccer by anyone but referees.

Blibbety blabbity blab.. :whiteflag