Guy in a Dress

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
boca

Post by boca »

it is cool to see how was able to wear the same uniform dress as the rest of the staff, and still be accepted by his fellow employees in it. I wish there was more of this kind of acceptance in the workplace :)
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

boca wrote:it is cool to see how was able to wear the same uniform dress as the rest of the staff, and still be accepted by his fellow employees in it. I wish there was more of this kind of acceptance in the workplace :)
I wonder if there isn't already that kind of acceptance? Let's face it, the vast majority of time, nobody gives a hoot what we are wearing. We receive far more compliments than derision, don't we? OK, so if someone wears something that's a bit out of the ordinary, they can expect a bit of teasing from colleagues, family and friends, but that applies whether it's a dress, a hat or even a particularly loud tie! So why do we cringe so much if somebody raises an eyebrow because we are wearing a kilt or denim skirt? How long does it take for the novelty to wear off with them? So what's the problem?

This young man is a beautician and he has done the commonsense thing in wearing what is comfortable in his working environment while at the same time honouring his female colleagues by wearing the same uniform that they are required to wear because he is doing the same job. To him, these are far more important than slavishly following the taboos of the unwritten masculine sartorial code and, if anyone has a problem with that, well that's their problem, not his. I respect him for that more than I can possibly tell you.

If he can do that, why are so many of the rest of us such cowards? The peculiar thing is that the world has given us permission to wear pretty much what we like. All that is really expected of us is that we use a bit of discretion and don't make ourselves look ridiculous. Yet we restrict our choices and cramp our lifestyles because we are still afraid of the odd redneck, mouthy teenager or disapproving authority figure. This is the height of illogicality. We are far more likely to experience unpleasantness because of the war we drive or park our cars than because we are wearing a skirt or kilt, yet does that stop us driving? How many people do you know who have suffered real physical, financial or even psychological harm because they wore a skirt? What's the worst thing that's likely to happen to us for doing so? WHAT ARE WE AFRAID OF?

In wearing his dress without a hint of embarassment, Keith teaches us all a lesson - you only lives once, so live how you want to. You have nothing to lose but your pants!

Stu
jbruyndonckx

Post by jbruyndonckx »

Well said, Stu!
- Jan -
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

I agree

Post by Since1982 »

Yup, I don't see Keith riding a horse anytime in the near future to work and home so I see no reason at all for him to wear pants. Just for interest tho, I bet we'd all like to see a picture of Keith in his dress. What say you all? :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Since1982 wrote:Yup, I don't see Keith riding a horse anytime in the near future to work and home so I see no reason at all for him to wear pants. Just for interest tho, I bet we'd all like to see a picture of Keith in his dress. What say you all? :)
Next time I go to Leeds, I'll ask him. I'm not sure he won't mind - but I can't say when that will be because it's 45 miles away from where I live. :spin:

Stu
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Stu wrote:Next time I go to Leeds, I'll ask him. I'm not sure he won't mind - but I can't say when that will be because it's 45 miles away from where I live. :spin:

Stu
I will never be in Leeds. .... but I think I'd like to call this guy, tell him what this simple act means in the mind of many many men. Is there any way you could provide a shop name or phone number? I'm serious ... I want to call this guy and give him the kudos he deserves.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Biker

I'm not sure how he'd react to a caller he doesn't know from another country phoning him at work. I can't say whether he's happy to be an international icon for men's fashion freedom, or whether he just wants to get on with his life quietly and to wear what he wants without any fuss.

If you, or anyone else, can make it to Leeds, I'd be happy to direct you to the salon where he works :).

Stu
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Stu wrote:Biker

I'm not sure how he'd react to a caller he doesn't know from another country phoning him at work. I can't say whether he's happy to be an international icon for men's fashion freedom, or whether he just wants to get on with his life quietly and to wear what he wants without any fuss.

If you, or anyone else, can make it to Leeds, I'd be happy to direct you to the salon where he works :).

Stu
Well I think at the very least you (since you have met) should phone him and tell him how many of use feel.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

No harm in letting Keith know he has a lot of support for his choice of clothing but if he wants his privacy respected I'd leave it at that.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I did mention Tom's Cafe to Keith and he seemed politely interested but not sufficiently to prompt him to write down the web address. My next visit to Leeds will be on Wednesday, 5th July, when I will be visiting the university. I will make a point of calling in at the salon and, if he happens to be at work, I'll see if I can tell Keith about our discussion and letting him know that he has quite a few admirers here.

I really don't want to be pushy with him. He is a young man with an effeminate, rather submissive, manner. What I really want to avoid at all cost is embarassing him in any way by making him a reluctant focus of interest. That might discourage him.

Stu
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

Keith sounds pretty neat and so does the manageress that approved his clothing for work with customers. Stu, even if you don't see Keith next time you can heap loads of praise on the managment for their fairminded decision. A worker that wants to wear a dress is one thing but to hear of a boss with a positive reaction to the request is astounding and all too rare.

Quiet Mouse