What's the Best Place to Buy a UK in the UK?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

What's the Best Place to Buy a UK in the UK?

Post by skirttron »

I have in mind to buy a utilikilt sometime this year. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a new one in the UK? I am interested in the denim version.
DanR

Post by DanR »

AFAIK, Utilikilts has only one retail storefront: right here in Seattle.

The problem with doing business in the UK for foreign mens skirt manufacturers (or any foreign company) is the GBP 200,000 (that's US$354,439.75 at today's exchange rate...courtesy of xe.com) the UK government wants each and every foreign entity to pony up before setting up shop there. (It's a protectionist measure to insure the economic vitality of home market companies.) It would be easier to set up a storefront in Italy or Ireland before you'd see one in the UK anywhere. If Steven Villegas (owner of Utilikilts) had that kind of scratch to throw at the UK revenue officials, I'd doubt he'd be spending it there. No offense to our UK and European cousins, but that's a lot of money in any country. And Britain is notorious for its high cost of living among the European countries. He'd be better off setting up shop in, say, Milano, Italy to be closer to suppliers of fabric, notions and so forth.)

Of course, that's for a new Utilikilt. Now as far as used ones, I would have no idea since I live on the opposite side of the planet. I'm sure there are second-hand shops aplenty. Personally, I'd ask Lance at midas clothing. His company is in Manchester and he might know of a shop or two.

And I should add this very important bit of information:
We skirt / kilt manufacturers in the Seattle area don't keep stacks of inventory on hand because the King County government levies an "inventory tax" on businesses here. Stuff gets made when you order it. That's why you see returned and exchanged UK's at the Utilikilt office / storefront when you come here.
To further illustrate the point, let's say you need a new alternator for your 1986 Honda Accord so you go to the local auto parts store, Schuck's. You ask the parts guy for said alternator and he tells you it has to be ordered and it will arrive in a day or two. Surely, you think, with Hondas so popular here in the Pacific Northwest, it'd make sense to stock them on a regular basis. Why not? Because of the inventory tax. Your alternator gets trucked up from a warehouse in Nevada, where there is no inventory tax.

Bottom line: Washington State has some of the most repressive tax statutes for businesses of any state in the USA. (We have no state income tax on private individuals here.) And labor is expensive here because the cost of living is so incredibly high...especially housing. The aforementioned $354K would buy a modest three bedroom ranch house here in Seattle that might need a little fixing up. All that explains why a UK or a CitySkirt or other local company's wares are priced as they are.
Dan Richardson
The CitySkirt Company
jlhansen

Thank you ...

Post by jlhansen »

... for a succinct and meticulous response. I thoroughly appreciated the information you provided.

John (still tapping his fingers good-naturedly awaiting his new skirt ...)
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

How about web ordering? Is the cheapest the main supplier? It wasn't clear to me on looking at //www.utilikilts.com whether delivery to the UK was available and if so at what price.
jlhansen

Utilikilts FAQ #8

Post by jlhansen »

skirttron wrote:How about web ordering? Is the cheapest the main supplier? It wasn't clear to me on looking at //www.utilikilts.com whether delivery to the UK was available and if so at what price.
Check here ... http://www.utilikilts.com/interactive-index.htm click on the FAQ link and read #8 ... and then send them an email for confirmation, is my suggestion.

John (thinking of selling a couple of UKs that he just bought, size 37 and 38 ... much too short for me 18 and 19 ... anyone interested?)
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

Watch the auction sites! I bought a new denim UK on eBay that someone tried but didn't like. Still had all the tags, and the business cards in the pocket. There are a couple (not jean denim) there now that will post worldwide.

binx
Richardunion

Post by Richardunion »

skirttron wrote:I have in mind to buy a utilikilt sometime this year. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get a new one in the UK? I am interested in the denim version.
Just in Case you did not know we do a range of Denim Kilts in Black, Dark and Light blue.

Richard

UnionKilts Ltd
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

Thanks Richard,
I actually didn't know about your range, and when my currently-blown clothes budget recovers I'll seriously consider ordering one of yours instead - they look great.
Richardunion

Post by Richardunion »

Only seriously consider :-)

Regards
Richard
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

Richard, It'll have to wait a month but here's hoping.