thrift store experience

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
boca

thrift store experience

Post by boca »

I would like to say a big hello to all of you here :)

I have worn dresses, skirts, etc. in the past, but have always bought them over the internet. A couple of days ago I decided I wanted to get a new skirt, as my selection is fairly thin, and I wanted something that was cooler (I have mostly long dresses/skirts). I decided I didn't want to wait for something to come in the mail, so I just went to a local thrift store. I shopped like I was shopping for any type of standard clothing: I went down the skirt aisle, selected a skirt and paid at the cashier. I must say that for my first experience buying a skirt in public, it was easier than I thought. I got no comments from anyone about it. I saw some people look at me for a second while I was picking a skirt, but they made no deal about it and simply kept walking. The cashier gave no expression outside of the usual "have a nice day". The only thing that made it out of the ordinary was my nervousness about it.

All in all though, it was a good experience. Also, I didn't have to pay for shipping :)
G.Shaw

Post by G.Shaw »

Were you wearing a skirt or some such when you were shopping?
boca

Post by boca »

No, I was in a pair of shorts at the time. I bicycled to the store, so I couldn't have worn one very easily.
nitrox

Post by nitrox »

Got this off another msg. board (unrelated to skirts)

"Personally, after skating in my GRAFs (same concept to bont's semi customs, 10 minutes in 160 degree, and 10 minutes on your feet, retail 550 paid 400:) ) this past ice season, I will NEVER go back to socks in hockey skates. 15 years of socks, 2 hours in NO socks, what a world of difference."

I don't think anyone's complaining to this bloke about his choice
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Boca

Post by Since1982 »

I don't know your financial state but if you do want to bicycle in a skirt, sometimes in pawn shops and/or bicycle shops they still have old fashioned "girl's bicycles" with no crossbar to block the wearing of a skirt while biking. I had one when I was young and it works fine even with a straight or pencil skirt. Of course if you're in anyway shaky as a rider, then wearing a straight skirt even with a proper skirting bike could be a problem if you lost your balance and fell. With an A-line or crinkle skirt tho, no problems. Good luck with whatever you do! :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

When I was in Edinburgh last week I saw an old guy riding a bicycle while wearing a kilt. Wouldn't be my choice for cycling but it didn't seem to be giving him any problems.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

I often wear a UK when bicycling...lots of "air conditioning", and a lot easier to do the "necessary thing" in your other thread.

binx
binx
Member Extraordinaire

Post by binx »

cessna152towser wrote:When I was in Edinburgh last week I saw an old guy riding a bicycle while wearing a kilt. Wouldn't be my choice for cycling but it didn't seem to be giving him any problems.
I often wear a UK when bicycling...lots of "air conditioning", and a lot easier to do the "necessary visit" that's in another thread.

binx
st1564

Post by st1564 »

Thrift stores are a great place to search for bargains. I usually try on my skirts first in the dressing room but if I don't have the opportunity and they don't fit quite right, I'm never out a whole lot of money. I have thrown one or two leather skirts away because they were too small for me after trying them on at home. I'm not sure what the exchange/return policy is at most thrift stores. I'm still searching for the perfect leather skirt.

The cashiers have been great with comments like, "this is a beautiful skirt" and another one said (believe it or not) "I bet you can't wait to get home and try this on" after unraveling a lengthy broomstick skirt.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Most thrift stores will take stuff back within 24 hours if you leave the tags on. If your local thrift store doesn't do that, there still is a way to return stuff. Put it into the donation bin. Get your tax receipt, fill out what you paid for the skirt, then next April, deduct it from your taxes.

Most of the skirts I own have come from local thrift stores. Heck, all my trousers have come from the same as well. I don't really like paying $50-$80 for a pair of jeans that will get grease and oil on them the first time I wear them. So, the $3.99 price is beneficial. I usually frequent the Value Village chain out here in the Seattle area, plus St. Vincent de Paul, and a few independents. Haven't recently visited a Goodwill store, but when I have, I've found non-clothing items that I wanted, not too many skirts, tho.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo