Absolutely the most intriguing question of all!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Dasani

Post by Dasani »

Since1982 wrote:I can't wear my fanny pack on the side as it gets in the way of my holster. Neither side works because of my fancy 2 holster rig.
Are you talking holster like gun holster? I am a gun person and when I lived in Oregon carried at all times, everywhere. Now I live back in the un-free state of California and can no longer excersize that right. What do you cary if that's what you are referencing? And this could be a whole other discussion as to different skirted mens techniques of carrying concealed and openly:D
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:Things sure are different between Australia and the rest of the Western world. In the USA and maybe the UK the fanny is a slang term for the buttocks.
Talk about being divided by a common language! Yikes!

That said, I recall a time back a quarter-century ago when I used to work third shift (the "graveyard" shift, late nights) and used to listen to a programme on National Public Radio called "Reading Aloud" where they'd, over the course of many nights actually read complete books over the air (what else is one to do during a commute). One of the books they read was one called "Fanny by Gaslight", and I remember being amused (hey, I was a kid at the time) about the double-entendre of the title. Now, a 26 years later this revelation comes 'round and reduced me to tears because I was laughing so hard. (The book, by the way, was by a Briton.)

Interestingly, too, "Fanny" is a now obsolete woman's name that enjoyed some popularity in the late 1800s and early 1900s. My how times change!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dasani wrote:
Since1982 wrote:I can't wear my fanny pack on the side as it gets in the way of my holster. Neither side works because of my fancy 2 holster rig.
Are you talking holster like gun holster?
I got around the "carrying problem" by adapting my personal habits. I managed get the worst of the cruft out of my wallet so it'll actually now ride either in a skirt pocket, or when the skirt I'm wearing doesn't have pockets, my shirt pocket. I carry my keys (I've got too many and need to part that lot down) on a lanyard around my neck that hides under whatever vest I'm wearing. The mobile I'll either carry in my hand or leave on some nearby surface (in a pinch, it can ride in a vest pocket).

Once in a dog's age I'll carry a holster, but that's for my slide-rule. :D
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
isobar

Post by isobar »

Since1982 wrote:The fanny pack sits right on top of your "fanny"
That would make it a 'sporran' over here. For ladies.
Dom
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Holsters

Post by Since1982 »

I knew mentioning "holsters" would bring out the "gun crowd". Nooo, there are no guns in my holsters, only a pocket knife in one and a comb/brush in the other. (gotta have my comb or brush for my long blond hair). :ninjajig: :cheer: :clap:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Dasani

Post by Dasani »

Oh ha ha okay.
Steven W

Post by Steven W »

I've never been a big fan of bags, and tend to use pockets mostly. This is one of the reasons why I really fell in love with the Utilikilts design. I carry around a fair amount of high-tech junk with me on a daily basis, cell-phone, PDA, and an I-pod, along with my wallet, and a large keychain. When I'm working, I frequently like to put tools and stuff in my pockets so that I'm not carrying them in my hand.

My problem with using a bag to carry all that junk around is that knowing my forgetfulness, I'll probably set the thing down somewhere, and then end up forgetting it. That would be a very EXPENSIVE and costly mistake for sure! I tried the bag thing however, and I found them to be a bit annoying, always bouncing off of a thigh, and getting in the way of a hand or so. My tendancy to set a bag down is very tempting, further exhasperating the issue.

The disadvantages of pockets however is not so much the bulge issue( I let other things be responsible for that!) but sitting on the material that's in the pockets, especially when using the back pockets. That usually ends up giving me an aching thigh or rearend, and results in a broken gadget.

I, too, wear women's jeans because I find it very hard to find men's jeans in a waist 28, length 32. When men's pants are found in this size, they are usually just cinched up versions of the larger sizes. The thighs are way too loose and sloppy on my small body. Women's jeans in a size 5 fit perfect on me, especially the lower-rise designs that are popular these days. In fact, they are actually a little loose, but are more proportioned properly. I noticed the small pockets on women's clothes too, and figured it's because they aren't really intended to be used. Also, because if a woman ever wanted to make "cutoffs" out of their old jeans, they could cut the legs off and make "daisy dukes" without the pocket linings sticking out the leg openings.
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

Dasani wrote:Are you talking holster like gun holster? I am a gun person and when I lived in Oregon carried at all times, everywhere. Now I live back in the un-free state of California and can no longer excersize that right. What do you cary if that's what you are referencing? And this could be a whole other discussion as to different skirted mens techniques of carrying concealed and openly:D

I mentioned some time ago here that I have concealed carry permits and I can carry a decent handgun in one of my Utilikilt's cargo pockets.
Quite concealed yet accessible.
WSmac
deebee

Post by deebee »

Steven W wrote: My problem with using a bag to carry all that junk around is that knowing my forgetfulness, I'll probably set the thing down somewhere, and then end up forgetting it. That would be a very EXPENSIVE and costly mistake for sure!
I'm the other way round. I keep the things I usually need when I go out in a bag, and usually take the bag (all there, hopefully). Just ask my family about what they think about my ability to forget where I put things down - especially keys.

Also, I take photos for a living - I'm used to having a camera bag. The only time I have lost anything is when I have absent mindedly put something down, instead of returning it to the bag. Expensive. :mad: I have a decent sized bag so I don't do that any more.

Though not as big as many photographers, who seem to think that the size of their bag is directly proportional to the quality of their photography (rather than their egos) ;)

David
deebee

Post by deebee »

Steven W wrote:I, too, wear women's jeans because I find it very hard to find men's jeans in a waist 28, length 32. When men's pants are found in this size, they are usually just cinched up versions of the larger sizes. The thighs are way too loose and sloppy on my small body.
I think most mens clothes are designed to "fit" everyone that has that particular waist size. It inevitably means that lighter built or fitter men look swamped in them. Shops like this, because they can get away with stocking one style, and most men don't care.

Women's clothes are closer fitted, which is why women complain that they can't find anything that fits. That and their ability to use a mirror and think what they look like.

But heaven's above, men aren't supposed to want clothes that fit!

I wanted a pair of boot cut jeans this winter to, logically enough, fit over some boots. Could I find any men's? No. Ended up buying a pair of women's jeans from Boden. Stretch fabric too, in a colour I like, and the best fitting pair of jeans I've had in years. The only thing that's different (apart from having a shape) is the fly which opens to the left. But then I just look at that as a practical solution for left-handed people. Or men who hang to the left.

David.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Hanging

Post by Since1982 »

Given a choice, I'd really rather not hang in any direction! :shake: :clap: :shifty:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
skirttron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirttron »

Yes, a guy I know from the U.S. came over here to the UK and embarrassingly asked a female assistant for a fanny pack in a department store.

Just to be explicit,

U.S. "Fanny" = U.K. "Bum"

U.K. "Fanny" is taboo slang for female genitalia.

Also U.S. "Purse" approximately = U.K. "Handbag".

U.K. "Purse" is the smaller thing women keep coins in and put inside a handbag.
DavidsSkirts

"Fanny Packs" = "Bum Bags"

Post by DavidsSkirts »

davereporter wrote:Maybe there is some difference in language but I always understood that a fanny was slang for a vagina. So what is a fanny pack???
:sarcastic:
In Australia (and New Zealand), we call them "bum-bags"...
:clap:
(as in bum being colloquial down-under for buttocks, not hoboes...).
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

WSmac wrote:Why are pockets on women's clothing so small and so large on men's clothing... specifically clothing for the lower 'half' of the body?
One of the reasons I enjoy this site so much is the number of things I learn here that come in handy in my own life. I think I only noticed this fact last week myself when the Palm in my pocket jabbed me as I sat in a new pair of pants since it could not ride as low as it needed to. Even more troubling is the number of clothes made for women designed without any pockets on the assumption there will be a purse. I have Quiet Man carrying things for me all the time unless I use a backpack or drop a credit card down a boot.

Here is a bit of pocket history. I recall that in Colonial America women would wear a pocket alone tied around their waist under the clothing. The skirt or dress had a slit at the same place as the pocket so things could be reached. I guess purses are just pockets that grew too large to wear under clothes (though I think handbags and reticules were also used at the same time as the tied on pocket).

Quiet Mouse
matman

Post by matman »

On the original question .. .. ..

When I was young I found my deep pockets most handy for covering up my seemingly ever-present erections. By inserting my hands into my pockets I could figure out a way to camoflauge the otherwise outrageously embarassing protrousion below my waiste.

In comparison, women have such flattering crotches it seems that keeping items in their front pockets would be distracting, at least to my eye.

Enjoy Today!