Petite

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Petite

Post by ChrisM »

Hi there!

I was just updating my clothing inventory, including listing my skirts. (I live in two widely separated homes and having such an inventory is essential to ensuring that I don't end up having, say, all my white shirts on one coast and none on the other.)

My skirts number 35 in total, and I was intrigued to note that many of them are designated 'petite.' There is nothing petite about me, I am 75 inches tall and weigh165 lbs. But I think that 'petite' refers to a certain ratio of waist to hip and other sizing parameters, with the result that 'petite' garments fit me better than do, say, 'misses.'

Can any of you enlighten me as to what 'petite' really means? Maybe Siri or Quiet Mouse could give us the benefit of few extra years' experience?

Much thanks!

Chris M.
earth_man

Post by earth_man »

I also think that 'Petite' means the waist and hips are about the same as opposed to the classis 36 24 36 body style. I also wear a petite skirt size 16 or sometimes 14.
Regards

Warren 2, aka Earth Man, near Manassas Va.

If women are from Venus and men are from Mars, I'm from the Earth.
Rogon

Post by Rogon »

Hip size is hip size, waist size is waist size. What you're dealing with when considering a petite size 'skirt' is the length. E.G. A regular may be 17" long, the petite would likely be 15" long. You'll more likely see these choices when buying 'on-line', the same skit might be available in 'regular', 'petite' or 'tall'. These choice could also be found when buying pants, again, for example, women's regular inseam is 31" or 32", a tall would be 33" to 34", the petite size would likely be 29" to 30" inseam.

In a way, it's unfortunately women's clothes aren't sold/sized more like men's (ie sized in inches) rather than play the 'game' with labels. That is misses, women's, regular, tall, petite etc, etc, etc. Wouldn't it be great if you could walk into the skirt dept, pants dept, top dept, shoe dept, rather than men's, women's, girls, boys etc.

Rogon
siri

sizing

Post by siri »

petite sizes generally are designed for women shorter than 5 foot 4 inches.

then the sizes correspond to what those measurements would be in non-petite world, meaning waist, hip size, etc. -- earthman, please take note! it's not about a different ratio.

naturally, the inseam is shorter on petite pants, as are sleeve lengths and waist-to-hem length.
** remember to flatten your pleats **
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

siri wrote:petite sizes generally are designed for women shorter than 5 foot 4 inches. then the sizes correspond to what those measurements would be in non-petite world, meaning waist, hip size, etc. -- earthman, please take note! it's not about a different ratio.
My missus (5 ft 2 in) agrees! Blimey, at last, that's something in common (language) across the "Atlantic Divide"! :clap:
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Rogon wrote:Wouldn't it be great if you could walk into the skirt dept, pants dept, top dept, shoe dept, rather than men's, women's, girls, boys etc.
That is a brilliant idea. It would at a stroke de-gender clothing. Then those guys who find women's trousers more comfortable than men's won't feel ambarrassed at going into the women's dept. I'd probably spend more time in the skirt dept though :)

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
me012247

Post by me012247 »

When I walk into the skirt department in my skirt/kilt, I usually get great help from the women working there. Only 1 place was a bit "restrictive" in using the women's fitting rooms. Like many I had no clue what the difference is in a 16 or 16W or is petite really for the little girls?
Meanwhile I understand women's sizes ..I guess ;). I own 18 skirts, 3 kilts and 2 (male) jeans..That's it
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]It is Snowing Down South[/FONT] :ninjajig: :cheer:
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Current count...

Post by Kilted_John »

15 skirts (included the UK's in the count)
1 dress
3 traditional kilts
1 pair of shorts (from the disstaff side)
1 pair of jeans (from the guy's side)
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
davereporter

Post by davereporter »

It would at a stroke de-gender clothing. Then those guys who find women's trousers more comfortable than men's won't feel ambarrassed at going into the women's dept. I'd probably spend more time in the skirt dept though
The theory is good but many people are completely hung up over the "gender" of clothing. I find that womens' sized pants fit me better than mens (hey I am now even comfortable in pants) but when I was buying a few pairs one of the ladies next to me put down her pile and asked the shop assistance whether in fact they were mens' pants. The shop assistance was too smart - she said, no they are Unisex. That way she could make two sales rather than one:sh:
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

All I know is that when I buy petite pants I don't have to cut off the extra leg to fit me, same with jackets as Siri mentioned. Petite means stumpy.

As another person that shops from both sides of the store I'd also be happy to see stores organized by clothing article rather than who it is made for but I guess that is part of the point. As I have read on the Utilikilt site their kilt is just not going to look right when it comes to female hips. Though, I am sure people already have the problem of seeing something they want in their gender section and it just does not fit their personal measurements anyway.

The biggest hang up I can see for mixed clothing sections would be underwear. It doesn't matter what style a person is buying, most customers would get kinda hesitant to be seen buying undies in front of the opposite sex. Oh yeah, everybody dressing rooms would put others off too. It is all business, customers lost to the changes would be greater than those finding it an advantage so changes won't be happening. Of course, a new store opening up in that style might have a chance. :think:

Quiet Mouse
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

locked dressing rooms

Post by Since1982 »

Dressing rooms able to be locked from the inside might take care of that problem, a person goes in dressed and carrying the items to try on, tries them on, decides what they like, wears it out or changes back to what they were wearing and unlocks and leaves the dressing room. No hassle no foul. Dressing rooms would have to be big enough for an armload of clothes tho. Since the store wouldn't need as many rooms they could make them bigger with no problems, I'd think. :cool: ;) :stir: :whiteflag
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
me012247

Underwear...

Post by me012247 »

Skirt Chaser wrote: The biggest hang up I can see for mixed clothing sections would be underwear.
I think, I never tried underwear in a department store...What's to try ???
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]It is Snowing Down South[/FONT] :ninjajig: :cheer:
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

me012247 wrote:I think, I never tried underwear in a department store...What's to try ???
Well, it is not the socks. I am laughing now realizing that there is little variety in underwear for men, no choice how high the leg should be cut or the waistband height. Bra fitting is also the biggest ordeal, another thing most guys would only know of due to the time they are kept waiting if shopping with the woman in the fitting booth. Very often stores have at least one chair outside the women's section of changing rooms, rarely on the men's side of the store. Now I see part of the reason for that. :o

Quiet Mouse