Aphorisms regarding skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Aphorisms regarding skirts

Post by denimini »

Here are some I have used or are ready to use:
  • I prefer comfort over convention.
  • My choice.
  • Most men don't wear skirts - but they can.
  • I bought the skirt, I own it and I am a man.
  • Coolness and comfort prevails
  • Pants were invented for horse riding and I don't ride horses.
  • Skirts are great to wear
  • The higher the temperature the higher the hemline
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Aphorisms regarding skirts

Post by STEVIE »

Above all,

Freedom!

Steve.
tbryant2k12

Post by tbryant2k12 »

Skirts are the oldest forms of clothing worn by men and women.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

tbryant2k12 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:50 pmSkirts are the oldest forms of clothing worn by men and women.
Indeed, at a stroke, skirts are both the simplest and most complex garments ever devised by humans. We ought to be able to embrace this.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

I like all of your options. I find the simplest to be, 'it's comfortable' and then maybe add 'and I like it'.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Per Eddie Izzard, “They’re not womens’ clothes; they’re my clothes. I bought them.”
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

Ray wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:46 am Per Eddie Izzard, “They’re not womens’ clothes; they’re my clothes. I bought them.”
I used something similar, when somebody had used Dt 22, 5 ('A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the Lord your God detests anyone who does this.') in one internet discussion. According this statement, I think, I can wear skirts (or another clothing), which I have bought (or borrowed from another man), but I can't wear skirts, which I have borrowed from a woman. :D
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

Miloš H., Nový Knín, Central Bohemia
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

miloshlavka wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:50 am Dt 22, 5 ('A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the Lord your God detests anyone who does this.')
My understanding of this was always that these rules applied to how a certain group should live, and were rendered obsolete by the arrival of Jesus and a new covenant. It was deprecated because it was a bug, not a feature. :lol:
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I don’t think anyone has ever quoted anything from the bible to me; I just don’t know anyone who is capable of doing so…

Not sure I could really respond….
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Of note/interest/irrelevance is the level of churchgoing where I live.

I’m by a small town of c.3,000. I reckon about 30 go to church.

In Scotland, I lived by a town of 6,000 or so. There were three churches. Total congregation? About 20. Average in the church my father went to was about 6.

Sobering stuff for the future of these buildings.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:42 pmI don’t think anyone has ever quoted anything from the bible to me; I just don’t know anyone who is capable of doing so…
I get D 22:5 thrown at me every so often and depending on mood have a variety of ways I can respond, some polite and some not polite in the slightest.

The polite ones revolve around, "Thank you for your concern, but I'm just fine." Impolite ones can involve anything from pointing out that D 22:5 only applies to a few subsets of one specific religion that uses the "Old Testament" which I am not a part of to an outright shredding of the interlocutor using his own doctrine.

A notable instance was when I was commented on by an insolent 4th-rate preacher (who has since drawn a ban for being a problem) who commented to one of the staff, "What is that abomination over there?" I learnt of this a few days later, and how much it upset the waitress, and once I had some context remarked that a possible response could have included, "That is a high-functioning human being exercising his divine right to self-determination." Alternately, "A paying customer." She quite liked both.

I have precisely no use whatsoever for the "holier than thou" types.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

When Deuteronomy was written, men wore dresses. Flbreezy had a wonderful meme in another thread that beautifully shows this. I think the one about the silly Tennessee bill.

I believe anyone claiming that passage suggests men today shouldn’t wear a skirt is someone bastardizing scripture for their own agenda. Something sadly done commonly.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

The Lord said unto Moses ‘all men shall have round noses. Except thy brother Aaron and he shall have a square ‘un’.

That’s the only bible quote I know.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

For the religious I simply say that I am happy to be judged by god as I am. For the heathens my answer is "because I can" and for the Pagans I never have to bother. They just accept.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

To release you from regimented conformity.