All Gender Restroom Sign

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

All Gender Restroom Sign

Post by photoguy207 »

We are in the process of opening a hair salon in upstate New York and we have to have two bathrooms since on the odd chance we have more than 20 people in the salon. :shock:

The buildout is complete and I went there and saw these signs next to each door. Interesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: All Gender Restroom Sign

Post by denimini »

An alternative approach:
nobodys_toilet_20160311_081940s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

For the win, Denimini!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Hehe, an all-gender restroom, just like the one I have at home :)
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I was reading a book on the history of skirts recently and it also mentioned how the ISO-standard pictogram for female is a skirted figure, the skirt being so ingrained in culture and custom as being the sole domain of the fairer sex. I'll admit it was a little depressing thinking how ingrained this thinking is and how it leads to some of the negativity and push-back we might experience.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

RIP Ronnie Barker
Capture.JPG
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I recall a cartoon in a magazine called The Scottish field of a couple approaching the toilets. The person approaching the dress symbol was a woman in a trouser suit and the person approaching the trousered symbol was a man in a kilt.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

photoguy207 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:02 pm We are in the process of opening a hair salon in upstate New York and we have to have two bathrooms since on the odd chance we have more than 20 people in the salon. :shock:

The buildout is complete and I went there and saw these signs next to each door. Interesting.
At my office, there were 6 bathrooms on each floor of the building.
Men, Women, and an All Gender the All gender is a single-stall bathroom and the hallway door locks.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

At college most of ours were undesignated, and had no urinals, since the mix of genders in each section of the building varied from year to year. When my dad visited, I had to warn him to shut the cubicle door in case a girl wandered in.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:32 am At college most of ours were undesignated, and had no urinals, since the mix of genders in each section of the building varied from year to year...
That's by far the most sensible arrangement, it is adaptable, takes up less space and is cheaper to build.  If there had been any problems resulting from it, I'm sure we would have heard about them from a screaming mob of so-called 'feminists' making the headlines in the papers and the BBC news.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've seen a few of those here and there... not very common.

There is one similar (with the alien) that's kind of funny in what you might expect to be a very unlikely location... at a small gas station right on the state line between Virginia and Kentucky on U.S. 23 northbound.

Slightly more common are unisex bathrooms that are single occupancy.

Unfortunately most single occupancy restrooms are still gendered... which makes no sense.

Frankly my restroom of choice is along a wayside behind a tree. I can't stand public restrooms.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

There used to be (may still be) a pub in Oxfordshire which had three doors along the side wall, labelled "Ladies", "Gents", and "Not Sure". The first two gave access to the appropriate restroom, but the third, in the middle, opened on a blank wall, and also rang a bell, so that everyone at the bar could turn round and look. Not sure how that goes down with any non-binary customers they might get!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:36 pmThere used to be (may still be) a pub in Oxfordshire which had three doors along the side wall, labelled "Ladies", "Gents", and "Not Sure". The first two gave access to the appropriate restroom, but the third, in the middle, opened on a blank wall, and also rang a bell, so that everyone at the bar could turn round and look.
Oh, that is hilarious -- and would likely have been old enough so that it was before all the modern madness.

A similar one is where on the inside of the door on the men's room at my local used to be a sign reading, "Ladies Room". I recall being confronted by that the first time I had to use the facilities, and, a bit taken aback, took a quick reference to my inbound path, figured it out, opened the door, and strode out into the hall chuckling quietly to myself. Of course, I am able to laugh about such things, which seems to be a lost art now. (The sign has since disappeared.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Technically the little pictographs are misleading. If taken literally then people who wear pants use one and people who wear dresses use the other.

There doesn't seem to be one for people who wear skirts. :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:09 pm Technically the little pictographs are misleading. If taken literally then people who wear pants use one and people who wear dresses use the other.
Yes, perhaps circles with an arrow or cross (or both) would suffice.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia